Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
which gear is on?
jojosr

which gear is on?

I have SD4 automatic fear, but I can not see, which gear is actually on. The only posibility how to "recall" the gear shift number is to manually shift with paddle.
My question is, if there is any gimmick or trick in setting to make gear shift numbers visible.
Thanks

Ordered: 2.3.2012:
RRE Prestige SD4 AT, Barolo Black, Spirit/Macassar/Ivory/Espresso Oxford Leather Interiour, Black Pano roof, Privacy Glass, AUX Heating, Heated seats and Wheel, Tech pack.
Delivered: 19.9.2012
[Image: 151832.png]
02-10-2012 08:47pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
rchrdleigh

RE: which gear is on?

Simple answer is No.
Only way to display gear is as you do now with the paddle.
Thought the point of having an auto was to let the car decide the right gear for you?
02-10-2012 08:57pm
jojosr

well, but sometimes is up to you to shift up or down earlier as the car do...

Ordered: 2.3.2012:
RRE Prestige SD4 AT, Barolo Black, Spirit/Macassar/Ivory/Espresso Oxford Leather Interiour, Black Pano roof, Privacy Glass, AUX Heating, Heated seats and Wheel, Tech pack.
Delivered: 19.9.2012
[Image: 151832.png]
02-10-2012 09:02pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

If you want to know which gear you are in then use S mode and the paddles, you will get the gears displayed all the time, but TBH it defeats the point of having an automatic. You soon get used to guessing which gear it is in from the rev counter if you watch it while driving.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
02-10-2012 09:31pm
benzina

On a related side note, if we leave the auto in either D or S mode to do the changes, the car always starts in 2nd gear for a standing start,and while i understand it's good for economy in D mode, i would have thought it to be logical for Sport mode to start in 1st gear, since it is about sports motoring, and not economy.....any comments?

2012 Dynamic SD4 Auto 5-Door / Indus / Black Roof / Vortex / AD / Style 7 Alloys / Panoramic Roof / Rear Vents / BSM / TPMS / Sat Nav
(This post was last modified: 04-10-2012 01:35pm by benzina.)
04-10-2012 01:32pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

I have a suspicion that the auto's first is more of a crawler gear and for engine braking off road. There's no point in pulling away in it as it sends the revs sky high very quickly, not great for economy/ emissions

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
04-10-2012 04:22pm
rchrdleigh

XFullFatTim: You're right 1st is a low ratio gear which as you say is really good for engine braking off road. Go along to a LR Experience Centre and off road you'll use 1st virtually all the time.
04-10-2012 04:55pm