Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
which black alloys
jitenc

which black alloys

Hi all,
I need to get the craze of having black alloy wheels out of me.
Just spoilt for choices,... got a Fuji Snow White with a black contrast roof..
what colour alloys is best to show least amount of dust, Satin Black or Gloss Gloss Finish??
Thanks in advance...
Rolling Eyes

Got mine : Dynamic Fuji White with Lux Pack and black contrast roof.
Optional extras : Privacy glass, Heated steering wheel and TPMS.
Me: Very HappyVery Happy
11-11-2013 04:10pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

RE: which black alloys

I saw a Fuji 5 door Prestige with Black Pack and black contrast roof on a transporter parked at Keele Services this morning on my way down the M6 - looked rather odd with black wheels, blacked out lights etc. Shadow Chromes would be a better option as any dings on a black wheel will immediately be very visible

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
11-11-2013 04:21pm
jitenc

(11-11-2013 04:21pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  I saw a Fuji 5 door Prestige with Black Pack and black contrast roof on a transporter parked at Keele Services this morning on my way down the M6 - looked rather odd with black wheels, blacked out lights etc. Shadow Chromes would be a better option as any dings on a black wheel will immediately be very visible

i have a second set of 18"s.. so hoping shouldn't get any scratches as the tyres are quite 'puffed' out compared to the 2o's ..

11-11-2013 05:17pm
MarkA_

which black alloys

I would hold from satin - they end up looking naff. Semi gloss is much better.

Now: MY14 Dynamic Mauritius Blue/Contrast Pano, IP, BP, PIP, Powered Tailgate, IncontrolR+S, etc.
History: '08 BMW 123d MSport Coupe, '01 Mini Cooper, '91 BMW 316i, '96 Mitsubishi FTO, '96 Mazda 323, '88 Holden Camira
11-11-2013 05:50pm
jitenc

(11-11-2013 05:50pm)MarkA_ Wrote:  I would hold from satin - they end up looking naff. Semi gloss is much better.

looks like you had experience with satin from your avatar pic.
The gloss would go better with the gloss shine from the pillars. i may as well stick with the High Gloss black finish as advised by the guys from the workshop.
I will try to post pics later..

11-11-2013 06:48pm
MarkA_

which black alloys

The ones on my avatar pic are semi gloss on the advice of the team that did them. He flat out refused to do satin or matte based on his past experiences with the longevity of the finish and the look once they get slightly dirty.

Semi gloss does tend to have a dull reflective quality and ended up being exactly what I was expecting satin was going to end up like.

I would think carefully before going high gloss though. It may depend on the application and the vehicle but the little hatchbacks I have seen (think corsa, fiesta) with high gloss sometimes look a bit strange.

Large version of semi gloss here

[Image: 5530059619_0787a595ff_b.jpg]
Black Ice by MarkAllanson, on Flickr

Now: MY14 Dynamic Mauritius Blue/Contrast Pano, IP, BP, PIP, Powered Tailgate, IncontrolR+S, etc.
History: '08 BMW 123d MSport Coupe, '01 Mini Cooper, '91 BMW 316i, '96 Mitsubishi FTO, '96 Mazda 323, '88 Holden Camira
(This post was last modified: 11-11-2013 06:58pm by MarkA_.)
11-11-2013 06:52pm
speary

A satin or matte finish could just be a gloss finish covered in brake dust and road grime
Go for gloss and look after them

Pure Coupe SD4 Manual; Fuji White; 19" style 5 wheels; Addaptive Xenons; Auto Lights, Wipers and Rear Mirror; Folding mirrors with cool puddle lights. Magnoflow Exhaust finishers
12-11-2013 09:53am
jitenc

Thanks for the advice MarkA and speary. I will ask the garage guys to get the semi gloss effect.
There are too many road width restrictions with barriers in London that I feel, once I have scuffed all the alloys, I will get the look of black wheels with a silver outer rim!

13-11-2013 06:05am