Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
portable sat navs not working in the car
mpw

RE: portable sat navs not working in the car

I have solar attenuating glass fitted to my RRE and wanted to check it was what it said, test it in the sun and also with a tele-peage (toll) automatic device.

I asked LR how I could identify the glass was solar attenuating (the build order says it is) and after one month they have written to St.Gobain (the glass manufacturer) for an answer. The glass itself is tinged (checked by sitting in the car and looking out compared to opening the windows and seeing the 'clear sky' without a tinge. In temperatures approaching 38C and clear blue skies my RRE was parked in the sunshine for most of the day and the inside temperature was warm but not hot, the leather seats were warm and fine to sit on and the dashboard leather was warm to touch and okay. In comparison with my previous car, a Merc, the inside temperature was very hot and the leather was too hot to sit on and required time to cool down.

The tele-peage device requires to receive/transmit a signal when going through the peage (toll). On the top side of the windscreen you'll see a black-dotted area; this is where to put such devices as it allows signals to be transmitted/received through the windscreen. Tele-peage device works fine.
11-05-2012 10:31am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
evQ

(09-05-2012 04:06pm)Straydox Wrote:  My RRE should be in my hands either Friday or Saturday of this week, so I'll be able to test it then. The mount we are using is Garmin's friction mount - that just sits on the dash and works extremely well.

Did you have a chance to test it out yet ?
16-05-2012 02:54pm
evQ

Still nothing. Can't get any NAV to work on the
Don't want to wrap around a 50K car with wires to get gps sinal booster. Sad
12-07-2012 02:47pm
cjfp

I have a infotech speed camera warning unit that works on GPS and I have no issues with that, and I either have the unit on the ledge by the speedo or plugged into the central power plug

Pure 3dr SD4 Tech Man ; Firenze Red ; 19" Style 3 ; Pano ; Ebony / Ivory Int ; Auto dim rear view ; 2 seats ; Park Aid - Rear cam ; Ext. folding mirrors ; Adap Xenon ; Fogs ; Mud Flaps ; Side Steps - Rec'd 28/12/11 - Sadly going 6/6/14 - Gone, now running BMW X6
12-07-2012 03:52pm
Dabreu

I tried my iGo app on the iPad and it worked pretty well. Have to say though, that I've got the pano roof without the solar attenuating glass. I tried it in the range rover sport but couldn't get a well enough signal on the road. So I guess that the extra glass does help get the portable sat navs going.

Still no news about stagemotion in use? Some commented having poor gps signal reception, but I can't imagine an iPad working better than an actual sat nav device.
12-07-2012 04:02pm
BA74

I've been having similar issues with my Navman.
Have found hat if I hold it out the window to get reception it continues to work once back inside!

BA

Gone - Range Rover Evoque - Si4 Pure - 5 Door Fuji White
13-07-2012 11:32pm
mpw

In terms of solar attenuating glass I've had a final answer (w/beginning 11th July) from LR regarding how to check if you have it or not for all of your glass: if your front windscreen has the little black dots towards top and centre then you have solar attenuating glass (the black dots being where you place tele-peage or receiver/transmitter devices) and this also means that all of the other glass (pano roof, back windscreen, passenger/driver windows) are also solar attenuating.

Having spent nearly 2.5 months waiting on this answer and LR having written to St.Gobain (manufacturer of said glass) I didn't want to pursue this anymore and contend that it's correct. I cannot, however, determine this simply and easily for myself.

So, for portable sat navs perhaps the inference from LR's to me is that you put you 'aerial' in the black spots if you have solar attenuating glass.
17-07-2012 01:39pm
traffictoys

I have exactly the same problem. I purchased a Tomtom 620 6" unit but it couldn't find the satellite - so I took it back to the store and they gave me another one - which didn't work also. I rang tomtom and they scalded me for not downloading the latest updates which they said would make it work - so I did that and it still didn't work. rang them again and they said send it back to them for repair. Fat load of good tomtom are - they really have no idea and have NO list of vehicles that have these solar coated windscreens. It's only forums like this thjat sorts these problems out!
11-03-2013 05:44am
scrannel

Are the solar attenuating glass and heated glass part of the same package?

2013 Dynamic USA specs with MagneRide + Strata wood int. with Lunar perf. Ork Grey.
BMW K1200R. Black.
11-03-2013 05:10pm
AandM1228

(11-03-2013 05:10pm)scrannel Wrote:  Are the solar attenuating glass and heated glass part of the same package?

Not for me... The solar attenuating glass was standard... The heated windscreen, steering wheel and seats were an additional 1k.

IRT the SATNAV problems... My RRE is fitted with the US Nav system so it does me no good here in the UK. I purchased a Garmin and find that I actually get pretty good reception if I set it on the dash right where it starts to curve up and over the steering wheel. Almost directly under the cut out square thingy on the windscreen. Only time I've lost reception was driving around in some of the larger cities with tall buildings.

Ordered 23 May 2012, Delivered 26 October 2012
2013 5 door Fuji White, Pure w/Premium and Climate Packages
11-03-2013 05:46pm