Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Keyless Start/Entry issues
MichaelJWP

Keyless Start/Entry issues

We've had our Dynamic SD4 5-door for a few weeks now. Generally extremely pleased with it, but having used it for a while a couple of issues with the keyless system that we're not happy with.

- Keyless Start on its own is pointless as you have to get the key out to unlock the car and then put it away either in a pocket or somewhere. In other cars you put the key in its slot the dashboard, which is a handy place to retrieve it from when you leave the car.

- We ordered the car ages ago before the dealer really understood the option list hence we didn't order the Keyless Entry. We now realise (see above) we should have done but we're told that it can't be retro fitted. I could understand this if there are special parts fitted but surely the wiring loom is exactly the same for all cars, and this would be just a software switch? Does anyone know the real situation?

Only a minor thing as the car is generally an excellent design and a pleasure to drive. Would be nice to sort it though.
16-01-2012 10:40am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
RacingSnake

RE: Keyless Start/Entry issues

There are quite a few (and lengthy) discussions over the merits of both/either/neither.
Technically anything can be retrofitted, but at what cost....
The keyless entry (I believe) have different door handles for the 'touch to open/lock' sensors, similarly it probably (guessing) uses additional signal sensors/receivers... and of course different keys.
I would suspect at this early stage of production it'll be prohibitively expensive to retrofit, but would hazard a guess that in 6-12 months, there might be a kit available.

re: the 'useless' keyless entry, and your handy place to store it... use one of the cubby holes as the handy place... then, what is different between a slot in the dashboard, or the triangle area under the console... or even your pocket Very Happy

Ordered: Fuji Dynamic Lux Coupe / style 7 wheels / Privacy glass / adaptive xenons / something else which I've forgotton.
Should be end of April (was March, then April, then end of May/June).
Collected, Friday 13th Shocked April 2012
16-01-2012 11:12am
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Coolbanana

I use a small Nite Ize S-Biner clip attached to my key fob - means I can simply attach it to my belt in the morning and forget about it until I return home in the evening.
Although I have Keyless Entry now, I didn't with the Discovery and found the S-Biner a good solution for carrying the key.

Car:Range Rover Sport 3.0SDV6 HSE - Orkney Grey, Almond interior and with lots of options
Bike:Ducati Monster 1100 EVO
16-01-2012 01:09pm
lngrn36

(16-01-2012 11:12am)RacingSnake Wrote:  re: the 'useless' keyless entry, and your handy place to store it... use one of the cubby holes as the handy place... then, what is different between a slot in the dashboard, or the triangle area under the console... or even your pocket Very Happy

+1
Very Happy

Tim
Evoque Coupe Pure+
SI4 - Auto
Sumatra Black - Ebony/Ebony
Climate package
Satellite Radio
16-01-2012 01:49pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MichaelJWP

There are plenty of places to store the key, but if the idea of innovation is to make life more convenient, then Keyless Start fails as you need the key in hand to unlock or lock the vehicle.

I'm suspicious that the round number of £500 for the Keyless Entry option is a bit of a scam when you need it for the system to make sense. They should have made it standard and included it in the config menus.
16-01-2012 02:07pm
RacingSnake

I'll admit, it does sound like a suspiciously round number!.

TBH, I've opted for it anyway, on the basis I can use it if I want to or not (remote fob still works).

Ordered: Fuji Dynamic Lux Coupe / style 7 wheels / Privacy glass / adaptive xenons / something else which I've forgotton.
Should be end of April (was March, then April, then end of May/June).
Collected, Friday 13th Shocked April 2012
16-01-2012 02:10pm
Token

All optional extra's are a scam...keyless entry is no different to any of the others! Personally I fully loaded my car and I'm glad I did...but let's not pretend it's good value, because it ain't!

I spent £40k on an engineering masterpiece and then £10k on some cheap gadgets...I don't know anything about the motor industry but I suspect that the margins on the optional extra's are far greater than on the actual car...

Personally, I don't regret spending the money one bit...but I certainly didn't order any extra expecting value for money!

Evoque Coupe 2.2 SD4 Dynamic LUX 190HP (in some kind of grey!)

[Image: event.png]
16-01-2012 02:30pm