Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
courtesy cars
Yves_0016

RE: courtesy cars

(10-04-2013 10:56am)Tony Wrote:  Its about the customer feeling valued and not ripped off, its about retaining customers and tempting them into a more expensive product come change time. As things stand at the moment this is my forth and last LR product.

I can relate to that (already, not even taken delivery of the RRE yet...). My last LR product was a RR Sport a couple of year ago, at the time when LR wasn't JLR yet and that the RRE didn't exist (was just coming out).

My dealer was then a pure Land Rover dealer, selling Classic RR, RR Sport, Discovery, Freelander and Defender. OK, it was part of a larger group, but the dealership in itself was what I would call "high end". It gave me a feeling of being "special" and valued as a customer. Now the RRE has been added and they have added Jaguar. So now all of a sudden they are selling a multitude of the cars they sold before. More cars, more work, more staff, ... There is bound to be a difference.

Now I have just bought a RRE last week. A stock car at the dealership which was supposed to be delivered tomorrow and things are already going wrong (paperwork taking ages, no feed-back at all to me if I don't call or mail myself to get info,...). So delivery has already been pushed back to Friday. It's already iritating me and taking away from the joy of getting a new car.

My excellent experience with the dealer with my previous RR Sport is one the reasons I opted for the RRE this time and I specifically asked if service at the dealership would be the same. I was, off course, what else... assured it would be.

I can understand your frustration, but with the model range expanding(in the downgrade direction), I fear this will be getting worse and worse.
10-04-2013 11:54am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
chris taylor

(10-04-2013 09:23am)ED209 Wrote:  It amazes me that people complain about servicing costs then want a 60k courtesy car. You pay for it in someway at some point!
If you pay £43,000 for a car, when it goes in for warranty or servicing I don't think that it is unreasonable to expect an equivalent model, they make plenty of money on servicing as it is basically just an oil and filter change.

SD4 Dynamic Auto, orkney grey, pan roof, shadow alloys, and a few other toys.
10-04-2013 07:43pm
xxxx5

(10-04-2013 07:43pm)chris taylor Wrote:  If you pay £43,000 for a car, when it goes in for warranty or servicing I don't think that it is unreasonable to expect an equivalent model, they make plenty of money on servicing as it is basically just an oil and filter change.

Totally agree, and one of the reason why I left the brand. My car needed a number of visits into the garage, for warranty work, each time the dealer tried to charge me for the use of the car, this is totally unfair on the customer having to take the hit. The difference is that my local mini dealer is lending me a car for 6 weeks until my new car arrives, free insurance, and a wash each week. Just fill it up fuel! JLR need to look at some of the reason why some customers are leaving the brand.

Now Sold: 5dr Pure SD4 Man / Fuji White / Pano Roof / Tech Park / Style 6 Alloys / Privacy Glass / Xenons / Black H'lining / Power Fold Door Mirrors / Power Tailgate / Carpet Mats / Front Fogs.
10-04-2013 08:30pm
rchrdleigh

When I owned a MINI the Dealer always charged me to cover insurance for a courtesy car. With all my Land Rovers the Dealer hasn't charged for a courtesy car, just have to produce my own insurance certificate. Courtesy car for Servicing is usually a like for like car, Courtesy Car for a recent LRA call out was an Evoque Prestige.
Depends very much on the individual Dealer as to what they provide.
I've had bad experiences with BMW/Mini Dealers more than I've had bad experiences with LR Dealers but fully accept others have the opposite view.
10-04-2013 08:57pm
ChuckieB

Beware the small print on your insurance whether you are covered comprehensively for a courtesy car. I could have arranged for the additional cover but it wasn't going to be free.

The dealer's insurance is likely to demand a hefty excess. £1000 for example! I look to arrange collect and return if I can!

There are possible advantages to running a cheaper curtesy car option or none at all, particularly if it is for a day only!

---------------------------------
Firenze SD4 Prestige Man Eb/Iv AD Keyless Powered Tailgate Roof Rails
Delivered 17/2/2012!

Other '05 Cliosport 182 FF
10-04-2013 10:22pm
ED209

(10-04-2013 07:43pm)chris taylor Wrote:  If you pay £43,000 for a car, when it goes in for warranty or servicing I don't think that it is unreasonable to expect an equivalent model, they make plenty of money on servicing as it is basically just an oil and filter change.

Reasonable for warranty work taking days/weeks - Yes, after all its not your fault

Reasonable for a service that might take an hour - Not really, servicing is necessary and expected after all.

Surely people can survive in a runa around for half a day when their car gets serviced?

td4 Pure manual in orkney grey, auto wipers/lights, front fogs, spare wheel. carmats4u mats, travall dog guard. Collected 30/03/12.
11-04-2013 08:47am