Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Xenons not up to scratch?
Stevemac1

Xenons not up to scratch?

Had the occasion to be driving at night recently on some twisty Scottish roads, usually fun in my previous MB but in the Evoque I had real trouble seeing very far ahead, so much so I was beginning to get nervy into corners..Anybody think the light given off by the xenons is a little short sighted on dipped beam? The Mercs were great...I could pick up speed cops in their viz coats at great range.....Laughing

Evoque SD4 Dynamic Coupe - Santorini black, 20" shadow cromes, privacy glass, pano roof. Cool complete with creaky tailgate and many rattles Mad
22-04-2013 08:06pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
IKM

RE: Xenons not up to scratch?

I live far out in the country, and my xenons have been superb on dark mornings and evenings ... Especially over the long winter months.

Arrived 16 December 2011: Prestige SD4 auto 5dr in OG with Adaptive Dynamics, Adaptive Xenons, Surround Cameras, Auto Dimming Rearview, Grey Oak Wood, Spare Wheel and Powered Tailgate.

Joining 2010 Freelander XS Td4e in Stornoway Grey (we like Grey!)
22-04-2013 08:37pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

I'm the same as IKM, no problems with them at all. You should try driving a Defender at night, full beam = 2candles, one each side, dipped = 1 candle on the passenger side!

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
22-04-2013 08:48pm
Straydox

Me too I thought the Evoque Xenons were excellent. They are auto-levelling (by law), are yours stuck I wonder?

Delivered 15th May 2012, rejected and returned 4th Feb 2013 - SD4 5 door Prestige manual with a bucket full of rattles Mauritius Blue. Crazy Audi MY2020 RSQ3
22-04-2013 09:17pm
recordman

Hi Stevemac1

I suggest you get the lights checked out, as I think most on here will agree the performance of the xenons is awesome.

If they get a clean bill of health then maybe a visit to specsavers is required!
22-04-2013 09:18pm
ChuckieB

I am of a mixed view on this. The light output is great and I have no complaints on full beam. I do feel that on dipped though, the top of the beam is cut off and this does seem to inhibit vision when travelling at speeds near the national limit. Or perhaps I need some night driving specs!

---------------------------------
Firenze SD4 Prestige Man Eb/Iv AD Keyless Powered Tailgate Roof Rails
Delivered 17/2/2012!

Other '05 Cliosport 182 FF
22-04-2013 09:27pm
Trapdoor

Xenon's (particularly bi-xenon) have a very sharp 'shelf' where the beam is cut. This is why I opted for adaptive as it aids 'seeing round corners'. If. you have come from bog-standard halogen lamps, it can take a bit of getting used to. What doesn't help much is the fact you cannot adjust the elevation of xenon like you can with halogen.

I found the Evoque Xenon to be no worse than my BMW X3, and if anything were brighter on full beam. Of course, it could be that your lights haven't been setup quite right, and should be fairly easy for the dealer to check on their MOT headlamp machine.

Had: 2013 Prestige Auto Lux
Have: MY17 Autobiography in Waitomo Grey with Ivory/Espresso interior, HUD, Adaptive Cruise, Adaptive Dynamics, Dynamic Driveline, Wading, Massage Seats. Delivered 17/09/16
22-04-2013 10:06pm
Biker

Xenons have a slight limitation. It can either be very bright light, but with limited distance penetration or can be made to have a longer (penetration) reach, but to the detriment of illumination.
Whilst balanced for this, it should still be far better than halogen lights.

TD4 180 HSE MY17 Fuji White
22-04-2013 10:18pm
vinny

I already mentioned this a while back that I couldn't see quite far enough ahead when travelling at speed along dark roads.
Adjusted my xenons up half a turn with an Allen key and now much better and nobody being blinded either,so suspect they were a tad low on leaving factory.

My order- fuji white sd4 manual coupe,tech pack,xenons,style 6 20's,pano roof,privacy,front fogs,rear camera,folding mirrors,ebony int/ivory headliner,dec delivery.(still waiting!) Collected 14/01/2012
NOW SOLD as of 26/07/14 Very Happy
Now driving Audi SQ5, everything the Evoque should of been.
22-04-2013 11:42pm
Stevemac1

Cheers Vinny, thanks for the tip!
I do a lot of night driving and am well used to the performance of xenons, so much so that on delivery day when I went out for my nightshift the difference was obvious ! I'll get them checked out...another thing to add to the growing list...rattles, rear seat belt fitted incorrectly, paint flaw, occasional strange noise when moving off from parked, resonance/ booming in the cabin, air con controller scratched....Just what you'd expect from a £43K premium brand car really...

Evoque SD4 Dynamic Coupe - Santorini black, 20" shadow cromes, privacy glass, pano roof. Cool complete with creaky tailgate and many rattles Mad
23-04-2013 10:29am