Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Wrong headliner
Fritillary

Wrong headliner

Just got my TD4 SE delivered with the wrong headliner - Ivory, when I'd ordered Cirrus to go with the Cirrus interior.

My dealer says the error is with Land Rover and is offering to replace it with a Cirrus headliner (from another new car.)

I am concerned with this ripping apart of what should be my brand new car. I'd appreciate any advice on the subject, what risks might be involved in a replacement, and what my other options might be?

Many thanks.
18-04-2016 10:09pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

RE: Wrong headliner

Welcome to the forum Fritillary, sorry that you had to come here because of a problem with a new car.
Have you taken delivery? If not then reject the car as it is not what you ordered and request a loan car to cover the period up to receiving the correct interior. Replacing the headliner isn't too difficult on a car with a solid roof but they will never get it back uncreased if you also have the panoramic roof. BTW, an incorrect headliner is not the fault of LR it is the fault of the person typing the order sheet into the system at the dealership, often caused by a no cost option like this having been entered and a mistake being made somewhere that has been corrected by completely cancelling the spec in Vista, then forgetting too re-type in the NCO. This is no longer supposed to be possible as recently all dealerships should have had the latest ordering system where these mistakes cannot be made. You could also take it up with Land Rover Customer Services who have a special section on the forum

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
18-04-2016 10:24pm
Fritillary

(18-04-2016 10:24pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  Welcome to the forum Fritillary, sorry that you had to come here because of a problem with a new car.
Have you taken delivery? If not then reject the car as it is not what you ordered and request a loan car to cover the period up to receiving the correct interior. Replacing the headliner isn't too difficult on a car with a solid roof but they will never get it back uncreased if you also have the panoramic roof.

Yes, I took delivery a couple of days ago and only noticed the headliner being the wrong colour a few hours later.
Alerted my dealer straight away.

No pano roof luckily, but am still concerned about all the bits and pieces - airbags, pillars, seatbelt holders, lights etc. - needing to be covered by the headliner. My worry is that the service dept. at my dealers will not have the experience to do a seamless replacement, and I don't like having shelled out €60k for a retrofitted car....Mad

Thanks for the reply!
18-04-2016 10:32pm
Good shot

(18-04-2016 10:32pm)Fritillary Wrote:  Yes, I took delivery a couple of days ago and only noticed the headliner being the wrong colour a few hours later.
Alerted my dealer straight away.

No pano roof luckily, but am still concerned about all the bits and pieces - airbags, pillars, seatbelt holders, lights etc. - needing to be covered by the headliner. My worry is that the service dept. at my dealers will not have the experience to do a seamless replacement, and I don't like having shelled out €60k for a retrofitted car....Mad

Thanks for the reply!

Will give them an early chance to figure out any rattles!

Last 2013 SD4 Auto, Prestige, Pano, Firenze Red. Loving the USB shuffle.
18-04-2016 11:19pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

As you have taken delivery and in theory accepted the car as it is then I think that you have little option than to let the dealer change the headliner. As Good Shot says the dealers have plenty of experience at taking them down and putting headliners back trying to cure some of the rattles that occur from wiring runs above the headliner.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 19-04-2016 09:11am by XFullFatTim.)
19-04-2016 09:10am
Fritillary

Thanks XFullFatTim!

My dealer has been helpful with this and I'm sure his service dept are good but I am being a nervous nelly as this is my first ever brand new specced car!

My dealer has offered me 3 options for doing the replacement:
1. Dealer service dept does it
2. Farm it out to a large accident repair garage
3. Ask Land Rover Ireland to take over the replacement.

I have no idea which of these is the best option, if I do go ahead with the replacement. Any experienced heads here with any opinions?
19-04-2016 09:42am
AndyFrance

I would imagine, but could be mistaken that the dealer noticed the incorrect headliner at PDI, otherwise the PDI does not do partly what it's designed to do.

Working on that premise, the dealer palmed the car onto you, so I would reject it. Even though you have already taken delivery, this does not mean you have lost any rights to return the vehicle for a replacement or even a full refund.

Personally, I would not accept a retro-fit on a car costing half what you have paid, but ultimately it's your decision.

Dealer mistake = Dealer at fault.............Why should you take responsibility?

Whatever you decide, best of luck and let us know how you get on.

Cheers
19-04-2016 10:17am
Fritillary

If I were to get the headliner replaced, could that have any repercussions with my insurance in the event of any accident involving, say, airbags?
19-04-2016 11:39am
AndyFrance

No way. The work would be carried out by an authorised dealership.

If you did have it replaced, you'd be getting the salesman/dealership off the hook and saving them a lot of grief and money.........As I said, I wouldn't have it replaced, but if you decide to then compensation should be coming your way.

You should also bear in mind that most dealerships technicians are not all as the word suggests. Some may only have one qualified mechanic........The rest could by some be described as grease monkey's.
19-04-2016 11:51am
Fritillary

Thanks AndyFrance,

Your advice is really helpful.

I have decided to reject the car. Land Rover UK tell me I am fully within my rights to do so.
Now lets see how the dealer responds...
19-04-2016 02:06pm