Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Wheel style restrictions with TPMS?
Trapdoor

Wheel style restrictions with TPMS?

Does anyone know whether the wheel style restrictions when optioning TPMS for the factory build apply generally to the alloys - I want to purchase a set of wheels (Probably off eBay) and fit some decent winters before next year, but the dealer has told me that the car will throw constant TPMS errors on the dash unless I use wheels that have TPMS in.

I know the individual sensors aren't that expensive, and I reckon I can buy a set if delivery miles wheels, a full compliment of decent tyres, and four TPMS sensors for about £1k less than the dealer has quoted me for a 'winter tyre package' ... But I want to ensure that if I bought say a set of Style 4 wheels, the TPMS would fit. I know they work on Style 5 as that is what mine is coming with. Needless to say, the dealer parts chap can't help.

Had: 2013 Prestige Auto Lux
Have: MY17 Autobiography in Waitomo Grey with Ivory/Espresso interior, HUD, Adaptive Cruise, Adaptive Dynamics, Dynamic Driveline, Wading, Massage Seats. Delivered 17/09/16
27-01-2013 10:49am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

RE: Wheel style restrictions with TPMS?

According to the LR brochures you cannot have TPMS sensors FROM THE FACTORY on any design of wheels other than those listed BUT aftermarket you can fit the sensors to any style of wheel. I have a set of style 4 genuine OEM wheels with Pirelli Ice and Snow tyres fitted and have the TPMS sensors fitted to them as well as to my summer tyre shod 20" style 6's. a word of warning though, the sensors are very expensive! One bonus, the owners manual I have reels off a long story about having to set them up, it's rubbish, they are very simple sensors and don't need the setting up listed in the manual, the bigger RRs with TPMS do have to follow the system that is given in our owners' manual.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 27-01-2013 11:31am by XFullFatTim.)
27-01-2013 11:29am
Trapdoor

Ah, excellent info and news!! Many thanks.

Re. The cost of the sensors, there seems to be OEM versions on eBay and elsewhere that seem to be about £50 each? Is that about right, as it will all still work out cheaper than LR want to charge me for non-TPMS winters ...

I did understand that all that you need to do is to change wheels, drive over 12mph for a few minutes and the new/replaced TPMS sensors will self-register to the car ... Though the dealership was claiming that each time the wheels were changed, the car would need a recode Rolling Eyes they seem to be keen to sell me a set without TPMS.

Have: MY17 Autobiography in Waitomo Grey with Ivory/Espresso interior, HUD, Adaptive Cruise, Adaptive Dynamics, Dynamic Driveline, Wading, Massage Seats. Delivered 17/09/16
27-01-2013 05:07pm
XFullFatTim

Mine cost about that from a dealership. I got the local tyre centre to fit them while they were taking the OEM tyres off the rims to fit my winter rubber, which they did for free.
It was them that told me that the type f sensors in the Evoque didn't need programming like the sensors in the FFRR, RRS and Disco 3-4, I've never bothered to do anything special for them after changing over wheels, just driven off

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
27-01-2013 05:17pm
Trapdoor

Thanks again for the info. I managed to get a new and unused cheap set of Style 4's off eBay on a 'best Offer' this afternoon so hopefully they will arrive this week. Looking to stick on a set of Pirelli Winter Snow which have a good rating and review. My X3 has Vredestein Wintrac 4 Xtreme's which have been superb over the past few weeks, but the Pirellis have better reviews and energy/snow rating though they are a fair bit more expensive.

Just need a set of tyre bags now to keep these pristine until next winter ... He'll, I've not even got my Prestige yet and I'm buying wheels and tyres for next winter!

(This post was last modified: 27-01-2013 08:56pm by Trapdoor.)
27-01-2013 08:55pm
XFullFatTim

Tyre bags - your local Tesco/Sainsbury/morrisons or even B&Q sell heavy duty wheelie bin liners, they'll do for the season. I've used my Pirelli Ice and Snow tyres in July in very heavy rain when I managed to destroy two wheels and two tyres the day before heading south to London. Their performance in the summer rain over Shap Summit was superb and even when I got to the parched and desert like SE they didn't become sticky or wear at all which I was expecting.

(This post was last modified: 28-01-2013 03:15pm by XFullFatTim.)
28-01-2013 03:14pm
buzben67

this may be a daft question, but my RRE did not come with a TPMS. Can sensors be added later i.e. retro-fit? (I've not checked the menus in set-up, but was just curious).

Pure TD4 Fuji White / Fogs / Privacy Glass / LED Sig Lights / Spare Wheel / Mats n flaps / ordered 1st Aug
28-01-2013 03:42pm
jitenc

I swapped my 20s Michellin tyre for the style 2 18s alloys with the Pirelli all weather purely, due to the reviews of how well they perform in rain/snow conditions.
The TMPS sensors were not economical viable to fit on the 18s as my intentions are to just use these tyres for the winter season. Needless to say, the message of No TMPS available does come up, but only after the ignition is switched on. It does not bother me as it is NOT constant.
I am pretty sure the TMPS can be turned off by the dealers when you are using wheels with no TMPS sensors fitted....

Got mine : Dynamic Fuji White with Lux Pack and black contrast roof.
Optional extras : Privacy glass, Heated steering wheel and TPMS.
Me: Very HappyVery Happy
29-01-2013 06:08am
XFullFatTim

(28-01-2013 03:42pm)buzben67 Wrote:  this may be a daft question, but my RRE did not come with a TPMS. Can sensors be added later i.e. retro-fit? (I've not checked the menus in set-up, but was just curious).

No you cannot "retrofit" the LR TPMS as it requires a receiver to process the info from the sensors and this gets built-in at the factory, TPMS isn't a dealer fit accessory either. However (sharp intake of breath, ducks for incoming fire) I think the Evoque system is a complete rip-off and waste of money. It doesn't tell you anything except that your tyre is deflating rapidly, it doesn't show you the pressures at all and it is a very basic system at top of the range prices. You can probably get an aftermarket set-up that is more sophisticated and a lot cheaper from your friendly auto parts store or on the net!

29-01-2013 04:26pm
Trapdoor

(29-01-2013 04:26pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  I think the Evoque system is a complete rip-off and waste of money. It doesn't tell you anything except that your tyre is deflating rapidly, it doesn't show you the pressures at all and it is a very basic system at top of the range prices.

I do kind of agree with this, especially as the Evoque uses in-wheel pressure sensors that (AIUI) transmit the pressure to the TMPS system when they are interrogated. It's just that the way the system is designed on the Evoque that doesn't display this pressure, rather it just uses the initialised pressures as a baseline and compares this stored value to that being read from the sensors in real time. Only when there is a (significant) discrepancy or a change trend does it flag a 'puncture'.

My X3 has a basic system that uses the ABS wheel rotation speed to determine whether a tyre is going flat, comparing each wheel speed. It works, but obviously cannot tell the pressure. But it does work, and has saved me on two occasions now.

I specified it on my new Evoque because its better than nothing, but definitely not in the same league as so e cheaper cars, and surprising (disappointing) on what is supposed to be a premium brand vehicle.

29-01-2013 06:08pm