Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
What to replace the Evoque with?
MarkLondon

RE: What to replace the Evoque with?

(21-03-2013 08:34pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  I found a couple looking into and at mine today in a car park in Glasgow - even after 18 months people are still finding the Evoque a fascination. I treat all onlookers the same, unlock the car from a distance and when I get to it I ask them if they would like to see/ sit inside................. not had the offer turned down yet and even though my interior isn't one of the "regular" interiors being the Plus pack, everybody is very complimentary about it.

I've had this quite a few times also and like you, I love showing the car off to interested people.

The way I feel at the moment, if I were in your shoes, I'd go for another Evoque without hesitation. Alarm issue aside, I can't find anything to complain about.

It depends on how soon you want to change, but I suspect there will be slight changes to the design coming up over the next few years.

Arrived Jan 2013 from Hadley Green Arrow Prestige SD4 Manual, Fuji White, Pan Roof, Cirrus/Lunar, Aluminium, Ivory Headliner, A/D, Privacy, Lux Pack, Xenons etc
21-03-2013 08:56pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Urban Splash

There are loads of evoques where I live! Nobody gives them a second glance!

When I get rid of mine I'm looking at an A45 AMG, New S3 Sportback or maybe a golf gti. Not sure yet... Evoque is sooooooo slowwwwww

Delivered: Evoque 5 door Prestige SD4 Auto 4WD, Orkney Grey, Fixed Panoramic Roof, Ivory Headliner, Vibe Interior, Spare wheel, 20" Chrome Shadow Style 7
21-03-2013 09:01pm
Straydox

(21-03-2013 11:43am)XFullFatTim Wrote:  My Evoque is 18 months old and 15000 miles up. I'm starting to think about a replacement in the next 12 months but what to replace it with in a similar price range...............

a) Same again - New RRE Dynamic Coupe Plus Lux with a few extras, I love the car despite the shortcomings

b) New Disco4 HSE - can get one for not much more than a new Evoque after LR discounts

c) 2 years old 20,000 miler FFRR Autobiograpghy S/C or 4.4TDv8 of which there are several on the LR Approved Used website in contention, unfortunately they are Black which isn't a colour I would want but there is plenty of time for other colours to come up. Some poor soul has lost £40k in depreciation on an S/C FFRR in two years!

d) New preregistered with 50 miles on the odo Audi A6 Allroad which my local Audi dealership are offering with a heap of extras and £11000 discount on what they claim is a "cancelled" order

Tim, your brother was one unlucky chap to get a poor A5 Cab...all manufacturers have 'Friday' cars, however Audi QA is generally very good (waay better than LR) and few escape. Also take a peek at the Audi SQ5 - it's a similar size to the Evoque - although a little longer - better fuel economy and a LOT more performance... myaudiQ5.com is a friendly forum..

Delivered 15th May 2012, rejected and returned 4th Feb 2013 - SD4 5 door Prestige manual with a bucket full of rattles Mauritius Blue. Crazy Audi MY2020 RSQ3
22-03-2013 01:03am
invoke

Take a look at upcoming Merc E AMG.... Ooh là là

http://www.freshnessmag.com/2013/01/11/2...-unveiled/
22-03-2013 02:48am
benzina

Yep the more i think about, i'd stick with the Evoque Tim. One year on, i'm still crazy about mine , and judging by the looks of other peoples faces,they are too.
I can't think of any other car i'd rather have right now, regardless of cost.

2012 Dynamic SD4 Auto 5-Door / Indus / Black Roof / Vortex / AD / Style 7 Alloys / Panoramic Roof / Rear Vents / BSM / TPMS / Sat Nav
22-03-2013 06:44am
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Invoke, I'm not yet ready for a motorised zimmer frame, all the wealthy oldies around here drive E class Mercs, most of them have an AMG badge on them but appear to be 220CDi's with AMG alloy wheels and a fancy steering wheel. Don't get me wrong, a real AMG is a performance tour de force but not the sort of image I wish. BMW and Merc sedans and estates are off my shopping list because they are RWD and they just cannot hack it when the roads turn white - this morning I notice two of my BMW owning neighbours are standing at the village bus stop in the driving snow rather than going into work in their 5 series rep-mobiles. A real AMG Merc is also way out of my price league in the UK, they are in the FFRR price bracket and I would much sooner have a new FFRR if spending that amount of money. I have to have 4WD ability would consider a Subaru BUT the local dealership just closed and a friend has one that has been off the road for 5 weeks waiting for some small parts to come from Japan.

There are some great suggestions there, but I'm finding it harder and harder to like Audi Q's, they may be great cars but hardly good looking. Porsche Cayenne's interior is a disaster ergonomically and also to me looks low rent with buttons scattered everywhere. I still have a deposit down on a new RRS and will be waiting until LR launches them and I can see one in the flesh, having had 2 previous RRS's I wouldn't be averse to another but not sure about the teaser pictures and it's scaled up Evoque-a-like shape.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 22-03-2013 08:53am by XFullFatTim.)
22-03-2013 08:36am
ED209

(22-03-2013 08:36am)XFullFatTim Wrote:  Invoke, I'm not yet ready for a motorised zimmer frame, all the wealthy oldies around here drive E class Mercs, most of them have an AMG badge on them but appear to be 220CDi's with AMG alloy wheels and a fancy steering wheel. Don't get me wrong, a real AMG is a performance tour de force but not the sort of image I wish. BMW and Merc sedans and estates are off my shopping list because they are RWD and they just cannot hack it when the roads turn white - this morning I notice two of my BMW owning neighbours are standing at the village bus stop in the driving snow rather than going into work in their 5 series rep-mobiles. A real AMG Merc is also way out of my price league in the UK, they are in the FFRR price bracket and I would much sooner have a new FFRR if spending that amount of money. I have to have 4WD ability would consider a Subaru BUT the local dealership just closed and a friend has one that has been off the road for 5 weeks waiting for some small parts to come from Japan.

There are some great suggestions there, but I'm finding it harder and harder to like Audi Q's, they may be great cars but hardly good looking. Porsche Cayenne's interior is a disaster ergonomically and also to me looks low rent with buttons scattered everywhere. I still have a deposit down on a new RRS and will be waiting until LR launches them and I can see one in the flesh, having had 2 previous RRS's I wouldn't be averse to another but not sure about the teaser pictures and it's scaled up Evoque-a-like shape.

You think mercs are bad in the snow?

The forecast here is terrible and I have to rely on a 20 year old mx5 to get to work over the weekend. The 18 miles each way is going to be fun!

td4 Pure manual in orkney grey, auto wipers/lights, front fogs, spare wheel. carmats4u mats, travall dog guard. Collected 30/03/12.
22-03-2013 09:39am
XFullFatTim

Wish you still had the Evoque now ED?

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
22-03-2013 09:46am
timhum

You say that you need 4wd; is that to cope with snowy conditions? We are in that position and as a result have our Evoque as well as a Golf Gti.
As an experiment this last winter I fitted a set of winter tyres to the Golf, it was a revelation and went everywhere that the Evoque did. The only drawback might be in deep snow where the ground clearance of the Evoque would be better. The wheels and tyres cost £1,060.00 so for that sort of price you might be able to consider expanding your range of suitable cars away from 4wd vehicles.
Incidentally we have just returned from visiting our son who lives in France,close to Geneva. They have loads of snow and yet there are very few 4wds but everyone has winter tyres fitted. There are loads of BMWs and Mercedes, none of which seem to have any problems as they have the correct rubber for the conditions fitted; and no they are not all the 4wd variety.
good luck with the decision
Tim
22-03-2013 09:57am
XFullFatTim

Tim, I already have winter tyres for the Evoque and ran my previous RRS's and FFRR's on them, they haven't been put on the car so far this winter......... when things get truly serious i also have a Defender that, provided it isn't running it's mud terrain tyres, will go everywhere I need to go when it is snowy BUT it isn't a practical day to day car and really not nice to drive any distance

(This post was last modified: 22-03-2013 10:08am by XFullFatTim.)
22-03-2013 10:08am