Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
What order to I detail in?
BFGEvoqueMan

What order to I detail in?

Can I please ask some advice - in this case for my SLK but will be equally applicable to all RRE owners. I have always handwashed and waxed my cars regularly, but of course time, paint technology (and formulation) and chemicals have moved on, so now want to adopt my car cleaning style. My car is now 4 1/2 yrs and though good for its age, want to treat it to some good TLC and then preserve the results. I have bought some Gtechniq goodies, P1 to treat the swirl marks and couple of minor scratches, C1 Cyrstal Laquer and some C1.5 to seal.

Now since my car is so "old" the surface is rough so want to clay bar in order to smooth out the imperfections. I am happy in what I am doing so unless it is realy pertinent please no advice about if I should or not do it, just some help on the how. Having done my internet research and read the threads on this forum can some one confirm the order of play as I am working on:

1. De-grease the car to remove old polishes etc
2. Clay bar
3. P1
4. C1
5. C1.5
6. Cold beer!

Can I use C1 and C1.5 on my alloys in order to preserve against the effects of dust etc??

Many thanks in advance of replies. I will post some photos of my results.

5 Dr SD4 Dynamic Plus (220PS!)
- Santorini Black with Indus Silver Roof
- Plus Pack (Agility Pimento/Ebony Oxford Leather)
- 20" Style 7 Alloy Wheels, Adaptive Bi-Xenon's with high beam assist, Aero Flip Spolier
- Keyless Entry, Privacy Glass, Auto dipping Interior Mirror, 825W stereo
(This post was last modified: 16-07-2012 07:08pm by BFGEvoqueMan.)
16-07-2012 07:05pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Deaky

RE: What order to I detail in?

(16-07-2012 07:05pm)BFGEvoqueMan Wrote:  Can I please ask some advice - in this case for my SLK but will be equally applicable to all RRE owners. I have always handwashed and waxed my cars regularly, but of course time, paint technology (and formulation) and chemicals have moved on, so now want to adopt my car cleaning style. My car is now 4 1/2 yrs and though good for its age, want to treat it to some good TLC and then preserve the results. I have bought some Gtechniq goodies, P1 to treat the swirl marks and couple of minor scratches, C1 Cyrstal Laquer and some C1.5 to seal.

Now since my car is so "old" the surface is rough so want to clay bar in order to smooth out the imperfections. I am happy in what I am doing so unless it is realy pertinent please no advice about if I should or not do it, just some help on the how. Having done my internet research and read the threads on this forum can some one confirm the order of play as I am working on:

1. De-grease the car to remove old polishes etc
2. Clay bar
3. P1
4. C1
5. C1.5
6. Cold beer!

Can I use C1 and C1.5 on my alloys in order to preserve against the effects of dust etc??

Many thanks in advance of replies. I will post some photos of my results.

I'm no expert but I would de grease with IPA after the P1 and also add another cold beer after the C1 cause I think you have to leave it a while before applying C1.5
16-07-2012 07:12pm
Chunk

You need to use a pressure washer first then wash using 2 bucket method. If you invest in a foam lance then snowfoam the car after pressure wash.

Also factor in using ironx or similar as the cars paint is bound to have iron fallout all over it and tardis or oblitarate as tar spot remover, this would be done before you touch the car with the claybar. What are you planning to degrease with?

Also use iron x on your wheels and tardis or oblitarate to remove tar spots.

Apart from that spot on, and yes you should use a good sealant like c1 on your wheels which will make them easier to clean next time.

Ordered Feb 2012 - Orkney grey 5dr Dynamic SD4 Automatic. Lux pack, Dynamic plus Pack (velocity ebony leather) ebony headliner and gloss black finishers. Shadow chrome style 7s, heated steering wheel and a spare wheel just in case! Build date 6/7/12 delivery date 23/7/12. Built 3/7 pick up 14/7!!!!!
16-07-2012 07:20pm
BFGEvoqueMan

Quote:I'm no expert but I would de grease with IPA after the P1 and also add another cold beer after the C1 cause I think you have to leave it a while before applying C1.5

Now that is what I call pertinent adviceLaughingLaughing

- 20" Style 7 Alloy Wheels, Adaptive Bi-Xenon's with high beam assist, Aero Flip Spolier
16-07-2012 07:33pm
doug

Yes to the above. No advice needed Very Happy

One last point. Stick too the 2 beers, you need a clear head for the C1.5

[Image: mini-graphics-vehicles-244162.gif] ABOVE AND BEYOND
RRE sold after 5 happy years. Jag F-Pace owner now
16-07-2012 07:41pm
Deaky

(16-07-2012 07:41pm)doug Wrote:  Yes to the above. No advice needed Very Happy

One last point. Stick too the 2 beers, you need a clear head for the C1.5

I recon you could go for more than a couple. According to Detailing World you have to leave C1 12 hours before applying C1.5

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/sh...ostcount=1
16-07-2012 08:24pm
BFGEvoqueMan

Right, car was clay barred, IPA'd then P1, IPA'd again and C1 on Thursday. Got up early today as the weather was good and then re IPA'd and re P1'd as the paintwork had suffered badly (well 4 1/2 yrs of car washes) and then IPA'd again before C1 and C1.5 after about 10hrs of curing. Re-applied another C1.5 after about 20mins.

Result, a very gleaming car with about 90% of the scratches and swirls removed. The shine is proper mirror like and it honestly looks like new car. Will continue to C1.5 regularly to keep it up. Will post some pictures anon, but I have to say the products are so easy to use and the results are excellent.

The reason for re-doing the P1 was there was some holgramming, but the 2nd round got all this out and now have a good constant shine. So as far as I am concerned job done. I am sure I could get even better results but have only used the hand applicator for P1 as I don't want to go near mechanical polishers. So thanks for all the advice regarding detailing etc.

21-07-2012 09:32pm