Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
What Car? big test.............
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

What Car? big test.............

Two big tests of the Evoque in one issue!

First as a sensible family compact SUV

So glad I didn't put any money on the Germans winning because they resoundingly lost in the fightout between the Evoque Pure 5 door SD and the XC60/Q5 and X1 but the XC60 came a close 2nd.............. not exactly the most desirable car on the block but more desirable than an X1.

1 up to Evoque

Second test as a sporty Coupe.

Well I think we could all predicted what What Car's? conclusion would be when they pitted an Si4 Dynamic against a TT S Black Edition and a Mercedes C Class AMG Coupe..............
The TT won despite them saying it was totally impractical BUT surprise surprise the Evoque came 2nd, marked down because of it's thirst and gloominess in the rear seats, however it was considered the most comfortable with excellent suspension.
It the text it says in conclusion " We have little doubt that Range Rover will sell every Evoque it can make, but most versions will be diesel powered. that said, this petrol Si4 is smooth and strong. Overall refinement and comfort are first rate, thanks to a gem of an interior and luxuriant ride. Were it not for its prohibitively high running costs and the sheer brilliance of the TT, it could well have take victory here."

The October mag is on the newsagents shelves today with a natty Mauritius Blue Prestige pictured on the cover

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 25-08-2011 01:20pm by XFullFatTim.)
25-08-2011 01:15pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XFullFatTim

RE: What Car? big test.............

Just an additional comment.......... in best motoring mag tradition What Car? tests a Pure but all the photos of the care are of a Dynamic Plus........

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
25-08-2011 02:51pm
XFullFatTim

2 more items from the articles
a) In the Coupe shootout, the car used for testing was a Dynamic Coupe, the photos are all of a Prestige.........

but more importantly at the back of the magazine, in the Best Buys section they now have the RRE in the 4x4's section and it gets 5*'s and the pick of the range in their eyes is the SD190 Prestige. That's one star better than Freelander, FFRR and RRS and the same rating as the D4 - I wonder if it will make it to What Car's? car of the year

(This post was last modified: 25-08-2011 06:59pm by XFullFatTim.)
25-08-2011 06:57pm
mark_n

Yes, you have to marvel at the muppets who put these reviews together.

I'm interested in the silver Si4 coupe test; for it, they say the running costs are £31101 over 3 years and "you'll need deep pockets to run it". However, the TT S is £31027, just £74 cheaper (let's say, 50p a week) and this is fine, apparently.

They then say the VED cost is £445 vs £315 but have forgotten these are the first year figures. Subsequent years are £245 and £210.

Nowhere of course do they mention that the RRE will leave the TT S and the Mercedes for dead when the going gets tough. Still, the fact the RRE came first in the 5 door and 2nd in the coupe is a good result.

Mark

Evoque was great, now in an RRS SVR
(This post was last modified: 26-08-2011 11:25am by mark_n.)
26-08-2011 11:24am
Blackseries

(26-08-2011 11:24am)mark_n Wrote:  Still, the fact the RRE came first in the 5 door and 2nd in the coupe is a good result.

Yes .... there really isn't anything else out there that can compete in two distinct categories and win / come 2nd ..... and if you need a coupe that seats 4 adults it would have won that group too.

SD4 Prestige Sport Auto 5 Door, Sumatra Black with Ambience interior, Magneride AD, 20" Style 6 Wheels, Panoramic Roof, Surround Cameras, Electric Tailgate, ADRVM.......& Heated Steering Wheel......Gorgeous
26-08-2011 11:53am