Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 2.5 Average
Watchdog - Spare Tyre v Repair Kit
Big G

Watchdog - Spare Tyre v Repair Kit

As someone who has suffered the ridiculous situation where I had a puncture and the repair kit was useless , last nights Watchdog episode was interesting. They tested a number of repair kits and how long it took to install them and fix the tyre. Pretty much all were tricky and the one they used on test took 30 mins to use. Basically most repair kits won't repair a damaged tyre with a tear or sidewall damage. A recent report by the rescue service Green Flag revealed that the number of call outs to drivers left stranded has leapt by 20 per cent.
And the RAC say they’ve had over 80 000 call outs a year from people who have no spare tyres and from drivers who have had limited success with the sealant kits.
The kit will only repair tyres with small punctures, so if the driver has a side wall damage or a deep cut it won’t work – and even when the kit does work, you still may end up paying. Furthermore if you do manage to repair it most tyre repair companies will refuse to fix the puncture afterwards as it takes too long to the clean the tyre out with all the 'gunk' - so in effect the solution actually renders the tyre non repairable. Crazy or what!!

My wife’s A1 suffered this. She had a puncture called the AA, they couldn't get it to work anyway, and their experience was that these solutions are crap ! The dealer ended up giving us a spare for free as we had so much grief. Imagine trying to use this kit, which is tricky enough, in the pouring rain or dark, in a country lane at midnight - and I certainly wouldn't want the Mrs placed in this situation. I actually think this is quite dangerous.

The counter argument is emissions need to be met due to EU regulations and that manufacturers must meet therm etc, but as discussed on the programme there are other ways to lighten the weight, beyond removing a spare tyre.

Moral is if you have the option on any car go for the spare - glad I did on the Evoque. Really good for peace of mind.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Collected !! 18/02/2012
Prestige Coupe SD4 Sumatra Black, Spirit interior, Pano roof , Heated seats, Privacy, Rear vents, Rear camera,Manual & style 5 19s. Not Prestige mats, 54 miles in tank when collected.
(This post was last modified: 18-10-2012 03:49pm by Big G.)
18-10-2012 03:47pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
The Valeter

RE: Watchdog - Spare Tyre v Repair Kit

The answer is very simple :-

By removing the spare wheel as a standard factory fit item and thus making it an option means extra revenue for the manufacturer. Emmissions - nonsense i doubt a space saver wheel will make much or any difference.

It's a bit like when the Government say they are increasing road tax for 4x4's etc to be green, what they really mean is - here is an excuse to make extra money via stealth!

Came Home On 02/03/13 Pure Tech In Barolo Black/Cirrus Trim with Bespoke Firenze Ascents + Numerous Factory Options!!
Also :-

Rover 25GSi - 2005 Everyday Car.
MG ZR-Express Van - 2005 Special Factory Order (Literally a one off).
MG Montego 2.0i - 1990 Shows/Sunny Days.
MG Metro 1300 - 1983 Being Restored!
18-10-2012 03:51pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
speary

(18-10-2012 03:47pm)Big G Wrote:  As someone who has suffered the ridiculous situation where I had a puncture and the repair kit was useless , last nights Watchdog episode was interesting. They tested a number of repair kits and how long it took to install them and fix the tyre. Pretty much all were tricky and the one they used on test took 30 mins to use. Basically most repair kits won't repair a damaged tyre with a tear or sidewall damage. A recent report by the rescue service Green Flag revealed that the number of call outs to drivers left stranded has leapt by 20 per cent.
And the RAC say they’ve had over 80 000 call outs a year from people who have no spare tyres and from drivers who have had limited success with the sealant kits.
The kit will only repair tyres with small punctures, so if the driver has a side wall damage or a deep cut it won’t work – and even when the kit does work, you still may end up paying. Furthermore if you do manage to repair it most tyre repair companies will refuse to fix the puncture afterwards as it takes too long to the clean the tyre out with all the 'gunk' - so in effect the solution actually renders the tyre non repairable. Crazy or what!!

My wife’s A1 suffered this. She had a puncture called the AA, they couldn't get it to work anyway, and their experience was that these solutions are crap ! The dealer ended up giving us a spare for free as we had so much grief. Imagine trying to use this kit, which is tricky enough, in the pouring rain or dark, in a country lane at midnight - and I certainly wouldn't want the Mrs placed in this situation. I actually think this is quite dangerous.

The counter argument is emissions need to be met due to EU regulations and that manufacturers must meet therm etc, but as discussed on the programme there are other ways to lighten the weight, beyond removing a spare tyre.

Moral is if you have the option on any car go for the spare - glad I did on the Evoque. Really good for peace of mind.

Imagine the missus trying to change a wheel on her own on a dark rainy country lane. Not good either

Pure Coupe SD4 Manual; Fuji White; 19" style 5 wheels; Addaptive Xenons; Auto Lights, Wipers and Rear Mirror; Folding mirrors with cool puddle lights. Magnoflow Exhaust finishers
18-10-2012 03:56pm
Big G

(18-10-2012 03:56pm)speary Wrote:  Imagine the missus trying to change a wheel on her own on a dark rainy country lane. Not good either

Agreed - but at least she can call out the AA or whoever and get the spare on and home !

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Collected !! 18/02/2012
Prestige Coupe SD4 Sumatra Black, Spirit interior, Pano roof , Heated seats, Privacy, Rear vents, Rear camera,Manual & style 5 19s. Not Prestige mats, 54 miles in tank when collected.
18-10-2012 03:59pm
NightFox

I've just replaced the runflat tyres on my wife's Mini with non-runflats as I was sick of them puncturing (run flats are very prone to punctures due to their rigidity), wasn't even getting a year out of each tyre. There's not even space for a spare wheel, so now we're relying on a repair-in-a-can (or the AA).

I went for the one manufactured by Slime as apparently it's water soluble, so garages will still fix the tyre after you've used it.

MY13 TD4 Pure Manual ~ Tech Pack ~ Mauritius Blue ~ Panoramic Roof ~ Adaptive Xenons ~ Park Assist ~ Keyless Entry ~ Reversing Camera ~ Powerfold Mirrors ~ Autodimming Mirror
Ordered 14/6/12 ~ Built 13/11/12 ~ Delivered 15/11/12 ~ Collected 20/11/12

[Image: 163643.png]
(This post was last modified: 18-10-2012 04:49pm by NightFox.)
18-10-2012 04:48pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

My RRS's and FFRR's had a spacesaver 19" alloy painted black as a spare - I wonder what profile the Evoques space saver is and whether a 17" wheel with appropriate tyre to get the aspect ratio back up to the remaining 3 tyres would fit in the wheel well

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
18-10-2012 05:01pm
eddkawasaki

(18-10-2012 05:01pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  My RRS's and FFRR's had a spacesaver 19" alloy painted black as a spare - I wonder what profile the Evoques space saver is and whether a 17" wheel with appropriate tyre to get the aspect ratio back up to the remaining 3 tyres would fit in the wheel well

Here's your answer tim

SPARE WHEEL – TEMPORARY STEEL 18" (155/85) INCLUDING TOOL KIT - REPLACES TYRE REPAIR SYSTEM

SD4 Dynamic Lux, 5 Door, Firenze Red, Ebony Interior, Black headlining, Black Contrast Panoramic Roof, Aeroflip Spoiler, Privacy glass, Heated steering wheel, Adaptive Xenons, TPMS & Spare wheel
Order Date: 14th May 2012
Build date: approx 5th Oct 2012
Delivery Date: Should be 22nd Oct
Actual delivery: 31st Oct

[Image: 151436.png]
18-10-2012 05:17pm
KidAd

Sunday Times has also had a small collection of articles and correspondence about this over the last few weeks. As you'd maybe guess, general mood is that a spare is preferred.

I feel much happier knowing I've a proper spare to use if needed, especially after reading about how the gunk effectively makes the damaged tyre un-reparable in the eyes of many garages. The cans seem like a bad option on all levels: slow, unreliable and ultimately expensive. Erm... what's in it for drivers?
18-10-2012 05:26pm
PhilSkill

Many years of driving and only time i've ever needed a spare... I needed 2! So recovery it was...

2 tins of Slime in the back, access to spare set of wheels/tyres if in the right area, that'll have to do.

Note I'm not advocating 2 tins of gunk is better than a spare... it's not.

Even better: spare and a tin of Slime then you have the choice!

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
18-10-2012 06:47pm
mark_n

The best you can do with the gunk is fix a slow puncture due to a screw or nail. They render the tyre irreparable.

I had a puncture early on, changed the wheel and got the tyre repaired for £20.

It's an absolute no brainer to buy the spare wheel option for £120. Mine has already paid for itself.

It's just a pity the low rent TPMS doesn't display the pressures to give you early warning of a failure. I'm just back from Germany, driving at speeds up to 165mph and there I have the tyres pressures displayed all the time to warn me of problems.

Mark

Evoque was great, now in an RRS SVR
18-10-2012 07:16pm