Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Visit to Edinburgh
Wired

Visit to Edinburgh

Hi guys,

I am coming over to Scotland for a few days, in the Edinburgh region, and was wondering if there are any fun bit to drive to with the Evoque.
Dont think you can do off road but nice driving roads are fine to.

And can we have so snow please Laughing

SD4 Automatic Prestige BALTIC BLUE - 5 DOOR - 19" wheels - Xeons - Tech pack - winter pack - Pano roof
02-11-2012 09:31am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

RE: Visit to Edinburgh

Wired, do you bring your own car or have a rental? If you have transport at all then I can recommend avoiding the tourist trip to Edinburgh Castle and taking a run out to Stirling Castle - nice drive directly down the motorway, or you can take the train or bus and staggering views out into the Highlands. Most of the really good driving roads are in the highlands and on the west side but as it isn't such a big country you can cover a lot in a few hours with a car. The problem at the moment is the weather.............. there is some snow but you have a 4-5 hour drive to find it and with the rain we have today it may well be washed away!
Taking a car into central Edinburgh is best avoided - parking is difficult and expensive but public transport is OK.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 02-11-2012 10:02am by XFullFatTim.)
02-11-2012 10:01am
Wired

(02-11-2012 10:01am)XFullFatTim Wrote:  Wired, do you bring your own car or have a rental?

I will be bringing my own Evoque and parking in Edinburgh should not be a problem since the Hotel has private parking spaces. Been there a few times already for the Fringe festival.

I might drive over to Glasgow. I was told its a nice drive and a nice cit to visit.

Thanks for the tips.

SD4 Automatic Prestige BALTIC BLUE - 5 DOOR - 19" wheels - Xeons - Tech pack - winter pack - Pano roof
02-11-2012 10:07am
XFullFatTim

Then DON'T take the motorway route between the two cities. Come out of town following the signs to Stirling/ Forth Road Bridge and stay on the M9 up to Stirling, come off at J10 and follow the signs to Erskine Bridge/A811 or take the A82 to Callander and have a run into the Highlands. If time is short then yes take the motorway to Glasgow, we have some fantastic museums and art galleries over this side of the country too!

You have a PM.
This is Stirling Castle http://s6.beta.photobucket.com/user/joll...g%20Castle
Excuse the odd photos of my American friends who I took there!

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 02-11-2012 10:29am by XFullFatTim.)
02-11-2012 10:14am
J77

You can always take a trip on Edinburghs wonderful tram network Laughing

18MY Range Rover Velar R-Dynamic SE D240
02-11-2012 12:14pm
XFullFatTim

Might have to wait a while between trams though......................

02-11-2012 12:16pm
PhilSkill

+1 for Stirling Castle and avoiding the motorway, "The Portcullis" is a nice place for a drink or spot of lunch, just outside of the castle.

The Portcullis Pub

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
02-11-2012 03:05pm
Westy

If you had some more time travel across from Glasgow as the guys said, have a ride round loch lomond and take the road to Crianlarich then left through and up into the mountains in Glencoe onto Fort William, you will experience Scotland at the best time of year IMO, and travel on some of the best picturesque roads you will find.

Try and find the time you wont regret it and thats even from an English man.

One of the happy owners, ordered June 2011, delivered Wednesday 8th February 2012, now 97000 miles. Scorpions lasted 78'000 miles.

Pure TD4 5 door, fuji white, ebony interior, Pan roof, Front fogs, spare wheel, privacy glass, towbar and black roofrails.

Cars got to go back to company March 25th 2015 Sad
02-11-2012 09:52pm
XFullFatTim

This year the leaves have been particularly spectacular but it has been quite windy the last couple of days so a lot have blown off. The mountains got a nice coating of snow today over this side of Scotland - I'm just on the edge of the Trossachs. No snow below about 200m, just rain but around 11am today the sky cleared and the mountains look magnificent with the autumnal colours and the snow.

02-11-2012 10:56pm
PhilSkill

I bet its looking lovely Tim, I stopped off at Westonbirt Arboretum a couple of weekends ago, the Acer glade was looking Ace!

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
03-11-2012 12:28am