Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
VIN Tracking - How long now for delivery?
mocha

Hi Guys,
I've finally got my VIN number and it's got a build date of the 10th of January 2014.

Can anyone tell me how long does it usually take for the vehicle to be built on the assembly line?.

I'm based in Australia and the dealer has said anticipate delivery date will be mid-late March.
Shocked
20-01-2014 11:11am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
rchrdleigh

RE: VIN Tracking - How long now for delivery?

Usually it takes less than 24 hours for a vehicle to go down the assembly line but actual time will depend on a number of factors so it could be less or more if parts are not available or the vehicle fails a quality control inspection at any stage.

In UK it's usually about 7 - 10 days from build to delivery.
20-01-2014 11:36am
mocha

will they update the Topix website once the car has been shipped?

i keep checking everyday to see when they'll get the vehicle on the boat! - waiting impatiently...
22-01-2014 11:57pm
HeartbreakRidge

I'm bumping this thread to see if anyone else has input! My dealer has the VIN and it's build date still appears to be March 12, so
I'm interested to know if knowing the VIN helps tracking its progress.

MY2014 Pure Plus, Firenze Red, Lunar/Cirrus interior, Climate Care & Vision Assist packages
Built: March 10, 2014 / Delivery Date (three weeks early!): March 26, 2014
10-03-2014 06:07pm
MarkA_

(10-03-2014 06:07pm)HeartbreakRidge Wrote:  I'm bumping this thread to see if anyone else has input! My dealer has the VIN and it's build date still appears to be March 12, so
I'm interested to know if knowing the VIN helps tracking its progress.

As far as I know the VIN is allocated when it goes onto the production line so yours may have been built early?

Now: MY14 Dynamic Mauritius Blue/Contrast Pano, IP, BP, PIP, Powered Tailgate, IncontrolR+S, etc.
History: '08 BMW 123d MSport Coupe, '01 Mini Cooper, '91 BMW 316i, '96 Mitsubishi FTO, '96 Mazda 323, '88 Holden Camira
10-03-2014 07:11pm
HeartbreakRidge

(10-03-2014 07:11pm)MarkA_ Wrote:  As far as I know the VIN is allocated when it goes onto the production line so yours may have been built early?

That was my thinking too! Though if knowing the VIN doesn't help much as far as tracking its progress I would probably not ping him again to get the VIN until delivery is closer.

MY2014 Pure Plus, Firenze Red, Lunar/Cirrus interior, Climate Care & Vision Assist packages
10-03-2014 07:21pm
MarkA_

(10-03-2014 07:21pm)HeartbreakRidge Wrote:  That was my thinking too! Though if knowing the VIN doesn't help much as far as tracking its progress I would probably not ping him again to get the VIN until delivery is closer.

If you have the VIN you can check things on topix to see whether there are any outstanding campaigns they could delay delivery.

Now: MY14 Dynamic Mauritius Blue/Contrast Pano, IP, BP, PIP, Powered Tailgate, IncontrolR+S, etc.
History: '08 BMW 123d MSport Coupe, '01 Mini Cooper, '91 BMW 316i, '96 Mitsubishi FTO, '96 Mazda 323, '88 Holden Camira
10-03-2014 07:22pm
HeartbreakRidge

(10-03-2014 07:22pm)MarkA_ Wrote:  If you have the VIN you can check things on topix to see whether there are any outstanding campaigns they could delay delivery.

Ah, ok. I'll ping him then. Thanks.

10-03-2014 07:35pm
swhittak

I'm wondering the same thing... Getting sooo antsy! ha.

XFullFatTim posted this on a thread I started though which should give you some insight.
It has to get 250 miles from the Halewood factory to the export terminal at Southampton (usually on a vehicle transporter truck with 7 others) - many be a week there waiting for the ship, a week at sea, then it will go into the receiving terminal at Baltimore for inspection for any damage and any corrective repairs that may be needed if there has been any damage in shipping (don't panic - it's very rare as LR gives them loads of protective padding and they cannot be parked too close in the car decks otherwise the drivers wouldn't be able to get into/ out of them to get them in and out of the ship!) Then however long it takes to get from Balitmore to Boston by truck or train. Once arrived at the dealer they have to prep it - after removing all the shipping protection the cars get a 2 hour PDI and then it's ready for you to drive away!
10-03-2014 08:28pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

IIRC the Vin is issued about 10 days before build when LR are ordering up all the parts that make up your order, loads of bar codes are produced aand huge sheets of fanfold paper generated that get stuck on various bits after the body in white has been painted in the colour you ordered. Magically the right bar codeed bits are all waiting at the side of the production line along with the correctly painted doors and tailgate that were removed before the body and underpinnings were joined with the engine - the whole lot then creeps along the production line getting all the otions you asked for added as the car stops in the various build stations until it get nearly to the end of the line when ll the systems get tested and booted up for the first time, then it is off to QC for an inspection and then off to Gaydon to the distribution centre or back into the factory for any remedial repairs to damage incurred on the line. After a spell at Gaydon it will then be trucked down to Southampton Docks for worldwide shipping - how long it takes from there depends on whether you car has to go east about through the Suez Canal or West about through Panama Canal on it's journey in a huge floating garage to get to your part of the world - your car may have racked up 10,000 nautical miles before it even gets to you!

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
10-03-2014 11:06pm