Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Used Disco 4/RRS/X5?
andyuk

Used Disco 4/RRS/X5?

Hi there I am loving my Evoque but as a family with 2 kids & 2 dogs occasionally the Evoque is not big enough if we plan to go away for the weekend etc so we are thinking of changing my wife's 2011 1 series to a 5 year old Disco 4/RRS or X5.

What is putting me off though is the horrific reliability issues Range Rover & Land Rover have in the used car market. As a family we have always bought new but we are not in a position to afford a brand new one for the cars mentioned. I just don't want to buy one then have the gearbox go or the clutch go etc so I have to she'll out £1000's here & there!

Any advise would be great on my dilemma & which car might be the better option?

Thanks
Andy

Dynamic SD4 Manual Red with Black contrast & Panaramic Roof, Vortex Interior, 20" Alloys, Privacy Glass, Black Headlining
23-02-2012 11:09pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
broady43

RE: Used Disco 4/RRS/X5?

Honda CRV,I have had them for the last 5 years.They are big,reliable,economic,comfortable and come as standard with all extras.I would have another but the looks of the Evoque have won me over!

5 door Pure sd4 Tech Fuji with black roof, tinted windows, ebony seats, style 4 alloys, xenons, fogs,black grille.
Arrived 29/03/2012.
23-02-2012 11:23pm
ytshome

Hope you decide the right car for you but just remember that beemers go wrong too. My friend had an X5 that cost lots of money just the wrong side of warranty.

I understand your dilemma but if you can buy franchised with at least a twelve month factory based warranty, which will give you enough time to spot if you've bought a lemon. Good luck. Ps the Touareg 3.0 diesel is lots of car for the money and fairly reliable.

Arrived. Prestige SD4 Auto 5DR OG September 11
(This post was last modified: 23-02-2012 11:25pm by ytshome.)
23-02-2012 11:23pm
Aussievoque

I had a diesel X5 before the evoque, absolutely loved it and would highly recommend one. I still miss it and part of me wishes I had stuck with another X5. Never had a single problem in 3 years and fuel economy was better than my TD4 too, it ended up being the cheapest vehicle to run I have ever owned. As ytshome says there is always someone with a story of a lemon but in my experience they are a quality vehicle.

2012 TD4 - Firenze - White leather - Style 6 - Panoramic roof - Keyless Entry - Bi-Xenons - Clearview - Navigation
24-02-2012 12:34am
WB
WB

XC90?
24-02-2012 12:35am
Craig_d1

What's your budget?
Tuareg not a bad shout as they depreciate quickly so you can get a lot of car for your money...not too sure if they like Q7's and eat tyres though.
My brother in law just part ex'd his 5 yrs old D3 for a new d4(sorry, you just couple weeks too late) but he never had any issues with his. Was reliable. I've had a D4 now for 2 yrs and apart from the rear camera needing replacing within first month, been totally reliable too. Just buy one with LR service history from approved used scheme and get them to throw in a years warranty. The 2.7 is a bit slow though IMO, one reason my brother in law changed after driving mine. X5 has a lot more poke and may be more what you're used too
(This post was last modified: 24-02-2012 12:53am by Craig_d1.)
24-02-2012 12:52am
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Take a look on the For sale sections of Disco3.co.uk and RRSport.co.uk as there are cars for sale on them, also piston heads.

I would say that with two dogs (you don't say if they are peeks or dobermans ) an RRS is not for you as the boot isn't that big with the rear seat up. Have you thought about going for the daddy of them all and buying a used FFRR, problem is the dogs have a high jump in and out of the boot, same with Disco3. Disco 3 is a brilliant family car and an approved used from a Land Rover dealer at least gives you a decent warranty if it is more than 3 years old.
Usual caviates apply with used Land Rovers, don't be frightened on very high milers (if they have got that far then they should be reliable) and full service history are essential, avoid anything that has been remapped/chipped (many many of the early D3's were ask Pete at BAS as he remapped many of them!) and anything being offered for sale on nonLR wheels, especially any D3,RRS or FFRR running on anything bigger than 20" wheels. Also check underneath any bigger LR as they are so good off road that many people take them there and damage them underneath. Another option might be a Defender 110 XS Stationwagon................ which will take you anywhere but not always in great comfort!

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 24-02-2012 11:51am by XFullFatTim.)
24-02-2012 11:49am
Craig_d1

(24-02-2012 11:49am)XFullFatTim Wrote:  . Another option might be a Defender 110 XS Stationwagon................ which will take you anywhere but not always in great comfort!

Putting it lightlyLaughing
24-02-2012 12:30pm