Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
UK Snow - Feedback on the Evoque's handling
Sarcastrix

RE: UK Snow - Feedback on the Evoque's handling

(22-01-2013 11:49am)timhum Wrote:  Interestingly very few 4x4s over there but everyone has winter tyres fitted and there're don't seem to be any serious problems with driving around. admittedly the roads are ploughed but there is mostly a covering of snow on them and they are hilly.

Same here in Sweden, very few 4x4 around but lots of front wheel drive cars. With the correct tyres you'll run into very few problems unless it's deep snow (or off-road of course). You've only got to look on the UK news to see X5/Q7's etc sliding off the road or getting stuck on wet grass due to big fat summer tyres Laughing Power is nothing without control!

Ordered: 25th Jan 2012 - Completed: 8th March 2012

Dynamic Coupe SD4 Auto / Fuji / Pano Roof / Tech Park 2 / Style 6 Alloys / Privacy Glass / Adaptive Xenons / Black H'lining / Cold Climate Pack / Auto-dim Mirror / Aux Heater / Roof Rails / Mud-flaps
22-01-2013 01:16pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Donny Dog

(22-01-2013 01:16pm)Sarcastrix Wrote:  Same here in Sweden, very few 4x4 around but lots of front wheel drive cars. With the correct tyres you'll run into very few problems unless it's deep snow (or off-road of course). You've only got to look on the UK news to see X5/Q7's etc sliding off the road or getting stuck on wet grass due to big fat summer tyres Laughing Power is nothing without control!

To be fair, the Evoque is 95% front-wheel-drive unless wheels start to lose grip, so, in most UK conditions, it probably stays virtually a front-wheel-drive only. (I saw a Freelander slide off the road a few days ago, echoing your point about grip).
22-01-2013 03:45pm
Jonathon555

Well i nearly defeated my 4wd in 8 - 12 inches of snow today. We were stuck solid for about a minute until i killed the dsc off any dropped the clutch. Bit of forward & back and we got out.

I then had to dig a female motorist in her lupo out of the same car park.

Another good samiritan. In a honda crv had to tow a stuck vectra out. I think the. Crv had winter tyres as it had superior traction to my car in the deep stuff

I will deffo think about getting a set of winter tyres next year.

Even just to improve braking ability on the slippy stuff

SD4 Arrived, Fuji , 20" style wheels, Privacy glass, Front fogs, Auto wiper and Auto Lights, Black leather

MY Nuburburing & Track Videos http://www.youtube.com/user/jonathon555?...sults_main
22-01-2013 06:45pm
Gorjan

Bit curious.... Why is the Evoque thought to be better offroad then for example Audi Q3 or Tiguan and possibly many more, as they all use the same 4wheel drive system (Heldex gen. IV)? Is it just ground clearance and the TR system?

Colima Lime TD4 Pure.
Tech Pack, Pano roof, Auto....
22-01-2013 07:39pm
Jonathon555

(22-01-2013 07:39pm)Gorjan Wrote:  Bit curious.... Why is the Evoque thought to be better offroad then for example Audi Q3 or Tiguan and possibly many more, as they all use the same 4wheel drive system (Heldex gen. IV)? Is it just ground clearance and the TR system?

Its the ability to drive all 4 wheels together like a psuedo diff lock

Non of the others can do that, thats where they fall over

Example

SD4 Arrived, Fuji , 20" style wheels, Privacy glass, Front fogs, Auto wiper and Auto Lights, Black leather

MY Nuburburing & Track Videos http://www.youtube.com/user/jonathon555?...sults_main
(This post was last modified: 22-01-2013 08:17pm by Jonathon555.)
22-01-2013 08:08pm
Daigriff

Having great fun in the snow. I'm on Pirelli 20's and am impressed. Only one hairy moment but that was probably poor driving on my part rather than the car. My previous car was a Landcruiser and that was superb in the white stuff but must admit the Evoque is proving equally efficient.

Arrived 16th December 2011: 5 door Prestige SD4 auto in Barolo black with ambience interior, pano roof, privacy and 20" style 6 alloys.Very Happy
23-01-2013 12:20pm
Coolbanana

(22-01-2013 06:45pm)Jonathon555 Wrote:  I will deffo think about getting a set of winter tyres next year.

Even just to improve braking ability on the slippy stuff

I can recommend using Winter tyres. Never bothered with them before, my RRE was fine last year and only slipped a wheel slightly on a snow-laden carpark but never felt like it would get stuck or anything.

Changing to the RRS got me thinking about stopping ability though - a 2.5 ton sled wouldn't be much fun - so I put a set of Vredestein Wintrac's on in November. Well, this last week has been brilliant; the RRS on Winters is fantastic.

I eventually had to go down a very steep hill that turns through 90 degrees at 30mph to get even a slight twitch through the steering. The car stops as if on a dry road. Excellent.

I could 'get about' without them but the added confidence and safety that Winter's offer make them worth it in my opinion and I wouldn't have known until I experienced the difference.

Car:Range Rover Sport 3.0SDV6 HSE - Orkney Grey, Almond interior and with lots of options
Bike:Ducati Monster 1100 EVO
23-01-2013 02:22pm