Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Tracker & Insurance!
Ianpembs

RE: Tracker & Insurance!

(12-12-2011 07:51pm)woodhouse Wrote:  I have this Self contained tracker £195 no monthly fees, installation cost or contract. If they are just asking for a tracker and not specifying a make it could be worth a look. My insurance is with Privilege, they did not require a tracker but I have it for my own peace of mind (and to check up on the wife's shopping habits) I have it behind the little door at the left of the boot next to the fuses, it has a magnetic base so it just clamps on.
I imagine the tracker works on gps and I doubt you will get a signal in that position have you checked as some people report their tomtom will not work through heated screen
17-04-2012 02:11pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Kentboy

(17-04-2012 02:11pm)Ianpembs Wrote:  I imagine the tracker works on gps and I doubt you will get a signal in that position have you checked as some people report their tomtom will not work through heated screen

(12-12-2011 07:51pm)woodhouse Wrote:  I have this Self contained tracker £195 no monthly fees, installation cost or contract. If they are just asking for a tracker and not specifying a make it could be worth a look. My insurance is with Privilege, they did not require a tracker but I have it for my own peace of mind (and to check up on the wife's shopping habits) I have it behind the little door at the left of the boot next to the fuses, it has a magnetic base so it just clamps on.

The problem with that is that a thief will look there first (now you have told everyone!) as he rips out the inside panels to find your tracker. He will then either park it somewhere for a few days to see if the Tracker leads the police to it (if they have the resource to look) or he will put it straight in a container where your tracker will be shielded from being found.

Evoque Prestige SD4, Barolo Black contrast white roof, Ambiance Upholstery with Figured Macassar wood insert, Privecy glass, Lux Pack, 20" Style 6 Alloys, Spare Wheel. Ordered 10th March estimated completion date 6th July.
(This post was last modified: 17-04-2012 02:48pm by Kentboy.)
17-04-2012 02:43pm
speary

My insurer didnt require Tracker and said they only insist on it for cars in insurance group 50, my Evoque is group 32. Also even if I got it fitted I wouldnt get much of a discount
My insurer is RSA through the IAM Surety scheme

Pure Coupe SD4 Manual; Fuji White; 19" style 5 wheels; Addaptive Xenons; Auto Lights, Wipers and Rear Mirror; Folding mirrors with cool puddle lights. Magnoflow Exhaust finishers
18-04-2012 12:49pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Yep mine was the same and even if one were to be fitted they give no discount for having it. However having had 2 unsuccessful attempts to remove a FFRR from my drive I have gone down the route of self preservation and now have my own security system......................

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 18-04-2012 01:15pm by XFullFatTim.)
18-04-2012 01:13pm
woodhouse

(17-04-2012 02:43pm)Kentboy Wrote:  

The problem with that is that a thief will look there first (now you have told everyone!) as he rips out the inside panels to find your tracker. He will then either park it somewhere for a few days to see if the Tracker leads the police to it (if they have the resource to look) or he will put it straight in a container where your tracker will be shielded from being found.

It has a movement alert so it sends me a text as soon as it moves withing 200m so hopefully I will find out it has been taken before they find out where the tracker is located!
18-04-2012 07:02pm
ED209

Never in my life has tracker ever been mentioned to me by an insurance company, Is it just down to areas in which people live? their claims history? or something else?

td4 Pure manual in orkney grey, auto wipers/lights, front fogs, spare wheel. carmats4u mats, travall dog guard. Collected 30/03/12.
18-04-2012 08:12pm
caroline11000

4 months after starting this thread it seems to have come to life again........ I didn't actually have the tracker fitted in the end because I phoned LV to cancel my policy and then they informed me that they had made a mistake on my policy and infact I didn't need a tracker after all, so I stayed with them! Glad I didn't have it fitted now as my 1st Evoque was replaced!

Pure 5dr SD4 Auto
Fuji, Ebony, Tech Pack, Pan Roof, Privacy Glass, Front Fogs, Park Assist, Rear Camera, Power-Fold Mirrors, Xenons & Spare Wheel
Got car 9th Dec 11
REJECTED car 9th Jan 12 - paint runs down doors & seals one side, obvious bad re-spray before delivery! Big Cry
New car arrived 31st March 12 Very Happy
(This post was last modified: 18-04-2012 09:20pm by caroline11000.)
18-04-2012 09:19pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

(18-04-2012 08:12pm)ED209 Wrote:  Never in my life has tracker ever been mentioned to me by an insurance company, Is it just down to areas in which people live? their claims history? or something else?

ED it can be anything from where you live to the value of the car that makes an insurer require one - often if the value exceeds a certain amount (£50k in the case of my insurer, but it is also post-code dependant). The last FFRR I had was the 1st car I had owned with one fitted. It was an ex-courtesy car and the dealer's insurers required one to be fitted and activated. When I bought the car I thought, live in a quiet rural setting, no crime as such happens so I contacted my insurer and they said they didn't require one for the car so I didn't sign up. The system was already fitted and I just elected not to pay the subs. Then scum broke into my house to get the keys which were not there and never are when I'm at work. They pulled the inside of the house apart and got nothing BUT on the end of a satellite phone link from the middle of the Pacific Ocean I was able to call Trafficmaster and tell them to immediately activate my subscription and to switch on the tracker in case there was another attempt to take the car - which there was but still the keys were not in the house and with a FFRR, like the RRE, you need the key fob to open it. I decided that I would also have the same system fitted to the Evoque, it isn't that expensive and when you take out a lifetime membership (that is transferable to a new owner too) it wasn't much in the big scheme of things and gives piece of mind to me when I am away that the car's system can be activated within seconds from a phone call from the other side of the world.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 18-04-2012 10:50pm by XFullFatTim.)
18-04-2012 10:49pm
The Valeter

I used Landrover Insurance, not the cheapest but you get what is stated on the tin!

Tried those crap comparison sites but they are a spratt to catch a mackeral and promise a lot to give little. It is so much better to speak to a human!

Came Home On 02/03/13 Pure Tech In Barolo Black/Cirrus Trim with Bespoke Firenze Ascents + Numerous Factory Options!!
Also :-

Rover 25GSi - 2005 Everyday Car.
MG ZR-Express Van - 2005 Special Factory Order (Literally a one off).
MG Montego 2.0i - 1990 Shows/Sunny Days.
MG Metro 1300 - 1983 Being Restored!
18-04-2012 11:02pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply