Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Topix - SSM64197 Panoramic glass roof cracked
kriswilson

RE: Topix - SSM64197 Panoramic glass roof cracked

Sorry to bump an old thread guys. I've a new SD4 which i've only done 500 miles in and is less than 3 months old, i only use the car at weekends and its kept in a locked garage the rest of the time.

I came out this morning and noticed a large crack right at the front of the panoramic glass roof covering maybe 10 inchs across. Does anyone have any updates on where LR stand with the Topix and if they discovered what the root cause may be?

I called my insurers today (swiftcover) and they have advised they will not cover the roof.
(This post was last modified: 22-05-2014 08:58am by kriswilson.)
22-05-2014 08:54am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mark_n

A replacement is about £1800; are the insurers saying they will not cover it at all or only under the main accidental damage section of the policy as opposed to the glass section.

Look along the crack for any sign of a stone impact but don't clean the glass in an effort to disguise the source of any damage which might affect LR's willingness to accept liability.

Mark

Evoque was great, now in an RRS SVR
22-05-2014 01:19pm
kriswilson

Thanks for the reply Mark.

I took it back to the supplying dealer today and he poked around at the roof and said "Its a stone chip. A stone has bounced up and cracked the roof". He then went on to say that its basically not their fault and that i'll need to contact my insurance company to replace the roof.

On that basis, has anyone ever contacted some glass inspection companies? All cars come in to contact with stone chips over time, should it really be so easy for the roof to crack... Is the panoramic roof really fit for purpose..?

I'm really tempted to go back to the dealer and fight this case. Has anyone done so? Tried?

Does anyone have a contact for LR UK customer service?
22-05-2014 06:35pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

LRCS has it's own section on the forum aka Pete@Land Rover.

Might be worth getting a 2nd opinion from someone at a windscreen replacement company like Autoglass

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 22-05-2014 07:28pm by XFullFatTim.)
22-05-2014 07:23pm
kriswilson

Thanks Tim, i've PM'd Pete.

Will call round a few glass places tomorrow.
22-05-2014 07:31pm
vinny

Take it back to the dealer and drive it through the showroom window and say "that's us quits":D"you better contact your insurance company"

My order- fuji white sd4 manual coupe,tech pack,xenons,style 6 20's,pano roof,privacy,front fogs,rear camera,folding mirrors,ebony int/ivory headliner,dec delivery.(still waiting!) Collected 14/01/2012
NOW SOLD as of 26/07/14 Very Happy
Now driving Audi SQ5, everything the Evoque should of been.
22-05-2014 07:50pm
alibeau

Been there, done that.....

My roof cracked from the corner above the drivers head. I found a tiny chip on the exterior of the glass. Found it hard to believe such a small chip could cause such damage. I didn't see how I could argue the toss with my dealer given there was a chip. Claimed on my insurance, initially thought it would have to be on the main policy but it was eventually settled as a glass claim. The cost of the repairs was in the region of £2k if I remember rightly.

Good luck with getting it sorted!

Ali.

Black Dynamic Si4 - gone but not forgotten.
22-05-2014 09:04pm
speary

Take it back to the dealer and get him to show you where the stone impact is. If the crack is from the edge it sounds like a stress fracture.
Have you driven anywhere that would flex the chassis, ie entering your driveway up a kerb or steep hill at a an angle

Pure Coupe SD4 Manual; Fuji White; 19" style 5 wheels; Addaptive Xenons; Auto Lights, Wipers and Rear Mirror; Folding mirrors with cool puddle lights. Magnoflow Exhaust finishers
23-05-2014 08:28am
cjfp

(23-05-2014 08:28am)speary Wrote:  Have you driven anywhere that would flex the chassis, ie entering your driveway up a kerb or steep hill at a an angle

Blimey, if they can't cope with entering your driveway up a kerb then we're all stuffed ! LaughingLaughing

Pure 3dr SD4 Tech Man ; Firenze Red ; 19" Style 3 ; Pano ; Ebony / Ivory Int ; Auto dim rear view ; 2 seats ; Park Aid - Rear cam ; Ext. folding mirrors ; Adap Xenon ; Fogs ; Mud Flaps ; Side Steps - Rec'd 28/12/11 - Sadly going 6/6/14 - Gone, now running BMW X6
23-05-2014 08:37am
kriswilson

Thanks folks,
My driveway is around a mile long over chuckies and general farm track type road. It would definately put the car through its paces.

The chip is at the very front of the glass roof, only a few cm's after the windscreen.

Edited to add, this being the newer 9 speed model.. could LR have changed something? I had the previous model for around 6 months and drove the same roads and not a single problem. Makes me wonder if something isnt right with the newer models.
(This post was last modified: 23-05-2014 09:15am by kriswilson.)
23-05-2014 09:13am