Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3.5 Average
Top Up Oil
KaDargo

RE: Top Up Oil

Topped up on Saturday with 1/2 litre (as recommended by the book) - Shell Ultra. (£13 online)

My 9 year old petrol focus never had to be filled up, and my brother-in-law, who was visiting, said he also has never had to top up his X5 3.0D either.

Is it a Landrover, diesel, or DPF trait to use this much oil, or will it settle down in time?

SD4 Prestige, Mauritius, Element, Cirrus Headlining, Pana Roof, Park Assist, Heated Steering Wheel,Blind Spot monitor, 20" Alloys, Powered Tailgate
10-12-2012 02:33pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PhilSkill

It's should just be a settling period for the diesel.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
10-12-2012 02:49pm
Bodlyfunctions

16k miles on the clock and only had to put in 1/2 a litre during that time. 1st service done and invoice from dealer shows them using C1 so all good!
10-12-2012 03:07pm
Tony's7

Just purchased some oil for the Evoque, car is 6 mth's old and less than 4k and a thought crossed my mind.

Now forgive me for being slightly sexist here (sorry to any ladies reading this) as the car does have a reputation as a woman's car. Scenario is this; a single female buy's an new Evoque and it never crosses her mind to check the oil in the first year (before first service), as nobody tells her she has to (not done on collection). Car then run's out of oil (easy at this rate of consumption) and engine seizes, how do you think she would stand legally?
12-12-2012 04:55pm
KaDargo

(12-12-2012 04:55pm)Tonys7 Wrote:  Just purchased some oil for the Evoque, car is 6 mth's old and less than 4k and a thought crossed my mind.

Now forgive me for being slightly sexist here (sorry to any ladies reading this) as the car does have a reputation as a woman's car. Scenario is this; a single female buy's an new Evoque and it never crosses her mind to check the oil in the first year (before first service), as nobody tells her she has to (not done on collection). Car then run's out of oil (easy at this rate of consumption) and engine seizes, how do you think she would stand legally?

I think she should sue you for being sexist! Very Happy

SD4 Prestige, Mauritius, Element, Cirrus Headlining, Pana Roof, Park Assist, Heated Steering Wheel,Blind Spot monitor, 20" Alloys, Powered Tailgate
12-12-2012 05:02pm
Tony's7

I use the Woman as an example, as I know if it was my Wife, she would be one of the firstShocked

"Safe in the knowledge she wouldn't read this in a million yearsLaughing"
12-12-2012 05:12pm
fam1x

I was wondering did anyone supply their own engine oil before the service. I have been quoted I need 6 liters of Castrol 5W30 Professional which is £14 per liter.

Pure SD4 Auto Black Tech pack, Pano roof, Powered tailgate, Dim rear view, Carpet mats & edging, Parking Assist Aid - Rear camera, Folding mirrors, Front Fogs, Auto Light, Rain sensor, Adaptive Xenons, Heated SW, Keyless entry and Privacy Glass arrived 13 Jan 12 Smile
18-01-2014 11:34am
m_101

yes lots of people have supplied their own engine oil for servicing. It's a good way to keep service costs down!

5 door MY12 Fuji Dynamic Plus with shadow chromes, santorini contrast roof, power tailgate and a couple of added rattles!
Mods - Black RR bonnet vents, Side steps, Silicone rear wiper, rear sill protector, rear sill plates, LED interior lighting conversion, 2014 Sat Nav update.
19-01-2014 12:27am
flibberflops

(12-12-2012 04:55pm)Tonys7 Wrote:  Just purchased some oil for the Evoque, car is 6 mth's old and less than 4k and a thought crossed my mind.

This doesn't happen... That is exactly what the oil warning light is for (which has been standard on cars since year dot).
Oil warnings usually flash on briefly when you are low on oil and cornering at speed... This is the 1st indication of low oil. Eventually you will get the perm oil warning.

I have never had this in a modern car but I would imagine the engine would go into limp mode as a reaction to the low oil.

If you ignored all the warnings and drove on until the engine went bang then LR would have no case to answer.

However, if the engine seized without any warning (which lets face it is unlikely) then you would probably would have a arguable case against LR.

I don't know why you decided to pick on the laydez? I know plenty of guys who wouldn't have a clue when it comes to car engines!
19-01-2014 02:44pm
Stadt Panzer

Top Up Oil

Car would go into limp mode, ask one if the girls who works for me!!!!

Somewhere in the North Sea.
19-01-2014 07:11pm