Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Today I used for the first time....
jbob

Today I used for the first time....

Parking assist...how fantastic is it watching a car steer itself!

I sat there amazed afterwards - maybe I'm easily impressed Laughing
08-11-2013 06:08pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

RE: Today I used for the first time....

You'll be less impressed by how quickly it can wear out your tyres as it turns the wheels without the car rolling! I've never used it on my current car but hopefully when my new Evoque turns up I might use the new Perpendicular parking version of it more

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 08-11-2013 06:31pm by XFullFatTim.)
08-11-2013 06:30pm
RacingSnake

I have visions of you Tim in a 'regular' bay with half the car nosed into the road Laughing Laughing

Ordered: Fuji Dynamic Lux Coupe / style 7 wheels / Privacy glass / adaptive xenons / something else which I've forgotton.
Should be end of April (was March, then April, then end of May/June).
Collected, Friday 13th Shocked April 2012
08-11-2013 06:34pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XFullFatTim

99.9999999% of the parking I do is in multistorey car parks so it's even possible that I can park the car faster than letting a computer can do it - the cam and sensors are pretty good aids (until you find a safety barrier end on........... EmbarrassedEmbarrassed )

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 08-11-2013 07:16pm by XFullFatTim.)
08-11-2013 07:13pm
IvorRedOne

What about parallel parking on the main road? Does the traffic grind to a halt having to wait? Smile
08-11-2013 07:22pm
Ringo

Had a Monaro with no parking aids at all before. With only rear sensor, I find the Evoque 10 times easier to parallel park

TD4 Pure Coupe, Firenze Red, Tech Pack, Panoramic Roof, auto head lights
Ordered : Early Aug, Build :Nov 21 :Boat arrived 9th Jan,Very Happy Dealer called, picking up Friday Jan 25th
(This post was last modified: 09-11-2013 10:19pm by Ringo.)
08-11-2013 11:55pm
benzina

I also find the Evoque to be really quick & easy to parallel park. With it's short length (and always back it in), i somehow find i do many many short and perfect 1 in / 1 slight adjust forward park - at the most,1 more adjust back....then i get out and generally see a around a perfect 2 inches from the curb.
I've always taken pride in my reverse parallel parking, and now the Evoque has taken it another level, cause it helps you nail a perfect park much more often then not, and that makes you feel good, and undoubtably look good to those that may be watching. Smile

2012 Dynamic SD4 Auto 5-Door / Indus / Black Roof / Vortex / AD / Style 7 Alloys / Panoramic Roof / Rear Vents / BSM / TPMS / Sat Nav
(This post was last modified: 09-11-2013 01:22am by benzina.)
09-11-2013 01:14am
XFullFatTim

I hope it will remain easy to park with the new small mirrors that come with 2014MY.

09-11-2013 10:38am
benzina

Just set that passenger side mirror to dip on reverse and you'll be right Tim. I'm going to be jealous of those smaller mirrors for that viewing gap they will provide when looking forward down and gunning a precise pin point around a curb.

2012 Dynamic SD4 Auto 5-Door / Indus / Black Roof / Vortex / AD / Style 7 Alloys / Panoramic Roof / Rear Vents / BSM / TPMS / Sat Nav
09-11-2013 01:16pm
XFullFatTim

I already have them set up to dip on reverse - I will miss the big mirrors when the new car arrives and will probably have to rely on the BLIS much more, might even see if I can get a set of the big ones retro fitted, they are one thing I find helps make the car so easy to drive and reverse without reverting to gizmos. I appreciate that some people have a problem with seat height and seeing over the cowls is difficult, I'm 5ft 7" and don't find them an issue. As far as I can see from the 2014 literature I have the new design have a larger gap between the A pillar and the mirror cowling and they stick out just as far as the old design.

(This post was last modified: 09-11-2013 02:49pm by XFullFatTim.)
09-11-2013 02:48pm