Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Tinted my fronts
PJ

RE: Tinted my fronts

IIRC the front windows in the UK need to let 70% of light in but windscreen is 75%. You do need to watch if applying a 30% tint that the factory fit doesn't have some slight tint already (?) or the boys in blue will have you scraping that tint off at the roadside, which happened recently to my mate.

Arrived! OG 5dr Dynamic, shadow chromes, pano roof and few other bits.
22-10-2011 11:22pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
vcruiser

Tints look great! I'll be getting 20s also as soon as i pick up my car!

Evoque Dynamic Coupe | Black on Black | Fully Loaded
23-10-2011 12:38am
ED209

Far too dark to be legal in the UK, I personally will never understand why people do this. Get a raised vehicle with good visibility then tint the windows so dark you need to wind them down to see out properly at junctions.

Only my opinion but i think they are dangerous and pointless.
23-10-2011 11:36am
vcruiser

I have these kinds of tints currently on my RRSS and I can see perfectly out of them. I don't think people would get them if they were a hazard!

Evoque Dynamic Coupe | Black on Black | Fully Loaded
23-10-2011 12:24pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Unfortunately they just are not legal in the UK - traffic police patrols often carry a light transmission measuring device here and will pull you off to the side of the road, measure the light transmission and if your tints are too heavy you have to strip them off there and then or have the car impounded........................ and yes they have other more important jobs to do but catching traffic law violators is so much easier than having to get out of your nice warm plod mobile and having to pound the streets looking for real criminals.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
23-10-2011 01:33pm
ED209

(23-10-2011 01:33pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  Unfortunately they just are not legal in the UK - traffic police patrols often carry a light transmission measuring device here and will pull you off to the side of the road, measure the light transmission and if your tints are too heavy you have to strip them off there and then or have the car impounded........................ and yes they have other more important jobs to do but catching traffic law violators is so much easier than having to get out of your nice warm plod mobile and having to pound the streets looking for real criminals.

So if you have illegal tints which cause you to pull out at a junction in front of a cyclist/motorcylist you didnt see because of the tints killing them you are not a real criminal then?

Drug dealers, burglars, rapists, etc etc etc nearly all drive cars, and a lot of them continue their total disregard for the law when driving/insuring/maintaining their cars. Getting to criminals through motoring offences is a tried and tested method. Its easyer to get a court to send a burglar to jail for disqualified driving than when they are convisted of burglaries. A sad but true state of affairs.
23-10-2011 02:17pm
Daigriff

If I had the fronts tinted as well Im afraid mine would look like a right pimp mobile...so not for me...the plod would be pulling me up all the timeShocked

Arrived 16th December 2011: 5 door Prestige SD4 auto in Barolo black with ambience interior, pano roof, privacy and 20" style 6 alloys.Very Happy
23-10-2011 02:36pm
exigejoe

I can see out of it perfectly. Always had these type of tints on my previous cars.

Lotus Exige (aspen white) with VF supercharger kit, 413hp, 366lb/ft
Range Rover Evoque in fuji white and almond/espresso interior
2013 Audi A7 3.0T supercharged
23-10-2011 03:45pm
Acwats

I just find them very in considerate to other road users, especially pedestrians, cycles, motorcyclists, horse riders, etc. it stops communication and leads to uncertainty.

As I've said on other posts, the danger is in them not being able to see in, not in whether you can see out.

From Plod's point perspective it also let's them gauge the age of the driver. I hope they stop every car and remove them.

MY16 HSE Dynamic Scotia Grey with Lunar/Ice Interior. 508's, Pano Roof, Privacy, Auto Tailgate, Heated s/wheel, spare
28-10-2011 08:26am
The Valeter

I had the tints on my ZR-Express when I first collected it, drove it for 3 years then got stopped by VOSA in Maidstone. I was given 10 days to remove then told that I had to phone the local test centre to have it inspected which happens to be near me in Gillingham. I did this but nobody answered the phone & there was just a domestic type of answerphone to which I left a message - never did get a call for it to be checked.

One thing the VOSA bod did say when he pulled me was that it was a shame to remove the tints as he said the vehicle looked stunning with them.
I wasn't bothered in the end anyway as the standard windows allbeit slightly tinted anyway now show up the Black leather & Red Alcantara better than before!!

On my present Rover 25GSi & on the MG ZT-T190SE I had I tinted just the tailgate only in Limo tint, this gives the whole rear of the car a darker apperance & does actually look like the rear windows are tinted anyway. It also keeps sun out of the loadspace & drivers behind can't see you either!

Came Home On 02/03/13 Pure Tech In Barolo Black/Cirrus Trim with Bespoke Firenze Ascents + Numerous Factory Options!!
Also :-

Rover 25GSi - 2005 Everyday Car.
MG ZR-Express Van - 2005 Special Factory Order (Literally a one off).
MG Montego 2.0i - 1990 Shows/Sunny Days.
MG Metro 1300 - 1983 Being Restored!
(This post was last modified: 28-10-2011 11:03am by The Valeter.)
28-10-2011 11:01am
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply