Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 1 Average
Think I've decided not to get the Evoque... and get a BMW 3 instead
mark_n

RE: Think I've decided not to get the Evoque... and get a BMW 3 instead

Wild horses wouldn't make me have a BMW 3 series. Besides, if the finance quotes are such an issue, why not just pay cash?

Mark

Evoque was great, now in an RRS SVR
28-06-2012 07:55pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ED209

(28-06-2012 07:55pm)mark_n Wrote:  Wild horses wouldn't make me have a BMW 3 series. Besides, if the finance quotes are such an issue, why not just pay cash?

Because not all people have enough cash perhaps?

td4 Pure manual in orkney grey, auto wipers/lights, front fogs, spare wheel. carmats4u mats, travall dog guard. Collected 30/03/12.
28-06-2012 08:35pm
The Valeter

(28-06-2012 02:07am)ED209 Wrote:  No doubt hugely fast and capable, but just looks like another 318d rep mobile.

Agree......It is boring and won't exactly stand out from the rep car crowd.

Came Home On 02/03/13 Pure Tech In Barolo Black/Cirrus Trim with Bespoke Firenze Ascents + Numerous Factory Options!!
Also :-

Rover 25GSi - 2005 Everyday Car.
MG ZR-Express Van - 2005 Special Factory Order (Literally a one off).
MG Montego 2.0i - 1990 Shows/Sunny Days.
MG Metro 1300 - 1983 Being Restored!
28-06-2012 11:34pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
vinda

I personally think it looks pretty good. A friend has got a new 3series saloon sport. Nice.

Plus the 335 will be 130bhp up on the evoque. And probably be doing more miles per gallon too.
29-06-2012 12:06am
The Valeter

(29-06-2012 12:06am)vinda Wrote:  I personally think it looks pretty good. A friend has got a new 3series saloon sport. Nice.

Plus the 335 will be 130bhp up on the evoque. And probably be doing more miles per gallon too.

Possibly....... but I know which one I would rather be driving & it wouldn't be from the Bavarian Motor Works lol.

Came Home On 02/03/13 Pure Tech In Barolo Black/Cirrus Trim with Bespoke Firenze Ascents + Numerous Factory Options!!
Also :-

Rover 25GSi - 2005 Everyday Car.
MG ZR-Express Van - 2005 Special Factory Order (Literally a one off).
MG Montego 2.0i - 1990 Shows/Sunny Days.
MG Metro 1300 - 1983 Being Restored!
29-06-2012 12:57am
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
EvoqueNorCal

Guys, the choice is starting to become quickly clear for me. The residual on the ActiveHybrid 3 won't be released until July 1st, but the residual on a regular 335i for June 2012 is 65% for 36 months. Historically, based on the difference between the 5 series and the 5 series hybrid when it was released, the hybrid will experience a 4% jump in the residual. Which would mean the ActiveHybrid 3 will have a 69% residual for a 36 month lease. The finance director of one of the United States' largest BMW dealers says that in his experience that could possibly jump 2 more points to 71%. If that's the case, here's where it's at:

My monthly payment for a 36 month lease on a car spec'd at $65,785 would be $584/month with ZERO down. That is almost HALF what the Range Rover Evoque is and the BMW's MSRP is $10,000 MORE. It becomes almost impossible to justify spending $948/month for a $55,000 car when I could spend $584/month for a $65,000 car when I like both cars.

The reason the payment is so low aside from the residual is two-fold:

1. BMW offers a 5% discount off MSRP when taking European Delivery.
2. BMW offers a multiple security deposit program whereby if you give them 5 security deposits worth essentially 5 monthly payments ($2,920 in this case), they will chop your money factor down from 0.00190 to 0.00150. And these security deposits are fully refundable at the end of the lease (unlike a down payment) so as long as you make all your payments and turn in the car without excessive wear and tear, you get all $2,920 of your security deposits back at turn-in.

Add to that, I get a $500 rebate check from BMW Car Club of America for leasing a new 3 series so that's virtually one free payment.

Further, the BMW gets almost twice as good MPG -- 40MPG Highway and about 25MPG city.
(This post was last modified: 29-06-2012 04:57am by EvoqueNorCal.)
29-06-2012 04:54am
TiTan

I'm sure that's all true - but you still have to drive around in a 3 series sedan rather than an Evoque. Laughing
29-06-2012 04:59am
EvoqueNorCal

Okay, game over.

Was just reading this thread over at the BMW forums about all the extra cool stuff the 3 can do: http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671526

You can do a Google search right in the navi. It has a 1-hour buffer on satellite radio so you can listen to songs over again. You can see where your car is at all times with an iPhone app that shows its location on a map to find where you parked. You can activate the air conditioning fan from anywhere with the iPhone app so your car will start cooling off before you walk to it (not to mention being able to lock or unlock the car right in the iPhone app)...

3 series wins.
(This post was last modified: 29-06-2012 06:29am by EvoqueNorCal.)
29-06-2012 06:28am
chiggy

(29-06-2012 04:54am)EvoqueNorCal Wrote:  Guys, the choice is starting to become quickly clear for me. The residual on the ActiveHybrid 3 won't be released until July 1st, but the residual on a regular 335i for June 2012 is 65% for 36 months. Historically, based on the difference between the 5 series and the 5 series hybrid when it was released, the hybrid will experience a 4% jump in the residual. Which would mean the ActiveHybrid 3 will have a 69% residual for a 36 month lease. The finance director of one of the United States' largest BMW dealers says that in his experience that could possibly jump 2 more points to 71%. If that's the case, here's where it's at:

My monthly payment for a 36 month lease on a car spec'd at $65,785 would be $584/month with ZERO down. That is almost HALF what the Range Rover Evoque is and the BMW's MSRP is $10,000 MORE. It becomes almost impossible to justify spending $948/month for a $55,000 car when I could spend $584/month for a $65,000 car when I like both cars.

The reason the payment is so low aside from the residual is two-fold:

1. BMW offers a 5% discount off MSRP when taking European Delivery.
2. BMW offers a multiple security deposit program whereby if you give them 5 security deposits worth essentially 5 monthly payments ($2,920 in this case), they will chop your money factor down from 0.00190 to 0.00150. And these security deposits are fully refundable at the end of the lease (unlike a down payment) so as long as you make all your payments and turn in the car without excessive wear and tear, you get all $2,920 of your security deposits back at turn-in.

Add to that, I get a $500 rebate check from BMW Car Club of America for leasing a new 3 series so that's virtually one free payment.

Further, the BMW gets almost twice as good MPG -- 40MPG Highway and about 25MPG city.

That's makes sense from a logical point of view.

The main driver when it comes to your decision on a car purchase is clearly finding whats cheapest and what suits you best which is fine. The more you think about it, the more you realise that all BMW drivers have a similar personality and similar way of processing their ideas to make decisions (maybe just in general life as well).

The way I see it, money is clearly the biggest factor... but you say that you are able to afford both.. you just don't want to spend so much on a car that's $10k cheaper due to finance factors/residuals etc which is a financial benefit for you... all good.

I'll give you a situation, you park your car in a parking lot, an evoque will park next to you. You walk to your car and sit inside. I will guarantee that you will look at the evoque at least 3 times (not so that you don't hit it) because you absolutely love the way it is. And you will tell yourself, why didn't I pay the extra amount.

Similar scenario if you own an evoque - you will look at the hybrid once (to make sure you don't hit it... not because you're afraid of scratching the hybrid, but you're afraid of scratching your evoque).

If you can afford both. Why not the evoque? because of the fuel efficiency? because it has less power?

Don't take this personally, but it seems like you're still contemplating on the evoque and you're looking for forum members to give you a reason to change your mind to the evoque.. because deep down inside.. you still want it.

You may get the 3 series.. all good.. its still a good car. But you will regret not getting an evoque.. and whenever you see one you will always think wow that looks amazing. I don't think many people get tired of the way it looks. I know the hybrid is just going to be another car 6 months down the line and you will look for more reasons to convince you it was still a good buy. The evoque - as soon as you look at it - will be enough to convince you its a beautiful purchase.

Evoque Round 2: Fuji Si4 Dynamic - 5dr. Pursuit interior. Dynamic Tech Pack. Adaptive Xenons. 19in Standard Alloy wheels. Twisted Evil
Contrast black roof (to be painted soon). (Previously a Firenze Pure owner - still my favourite colour Wink)
(This post was last modified: 29-06-2012 06:38am by chiggy.)
29-06-2012 06:32am
Andy_A

Has the BMW salesman finally left the building?

On order:
SD4 Auto, Prestige 5 door, Firenze Red, Black Leather, Pano, Privacy, Elec Tailgate......Patience is a Virtue!
29-06-2012 08:45am