Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 1 Average
Think I've decided not to get the Evoque... and get a BMW 3 instead
ED209

RE: Think I've decided not to get the Evoque... and get a BMW 3 instead

(28-06-2012 12:54pm)Straydox Wrote:  It's a money thing for our US friend - he wants an RRE in his head and his ego says he'd look good in it. The last post had some drivel about the way he drives so clearly we have a gifted and exceptional driver here too - as many sadly mistaken Beemer pilots also believe. Off you go - you will blast past many Evoques in the 3 Series and also look in the rear view mirror and realise that they are having more fun than you are - and that will be really annoying.

I was wondering if he/she was the stigs fatter american cousin?

td4 Pure manual in orkney grey, auto wipers/lights, front fogs, spare wheel. carmats4u mats, travall dog guard. Collected 30/03/12.
28-06-2012 12:59pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Rossy100

Think I've decided not to get the Evoque... and get a BMW 3 instead

I actually really like the new 3 series, especially the interior which is finally a modern step up for BMW. That said, never in a million years (cost aside) would I ever have considered getting one instead of the Evoque. The Evoque is just special, feels premium, and commands attention. The Beemer is..... Well just another nice car. Maybe more reliable..... But just not as fun!
28-06-2012 01:06pm
xxxx5

Can we close the thread, I am bored with this topic, as EvoqueNorCal is off to get a Beemer. nothing further to discuss. Rolling Eyes

Now Sold: 5dr Pure SD4 Man / Fuji White / Pano Roof / Tech Park / Style 6 Alloys / Privacy Glass / Xenons / Black H'lining / Power Fold Door Mirrors / Power Tailgate / Carpet Mats / Front Fogs.
28-06-2012 02:48pm
invoke

I'll never in million years buy any LR product again... Evoque may appear attractive, performance wise its nothing like BMW.

My 2004 x3, which i sadly trade it in, gave me 7 years of dedicate performance, all i did was oil change, new tires and plug filters. thats it.. While Evoque has been garage since the first day several time and the problems are squarely ignored.

The uncomfortable seats, the under power engine, the acceleration, the rattling & humming.... all for the sake of "LOOKS". Most of all the Stealer and the Service people has left a very bad taste in my mouth.

Go for BMW my friend !

Black/Black Dynamic (with missing dynamic button), 4dr and a tailgate, stadium seats with butt warmer, extra large moon roof for kids clustrophobia, velcro surface card board floor mats, factory installed humming accessory and the famous "Wind noise-rattle package".
(This post was last modified: 28-06-2012 02:57pm by invoke.)
28-06-2012 02:53pm
xxxx5

(28-06-2012 02:53pm)invoke Wrote:  I'll never in million years buy any LR product again... Evoque may appear attractive, performance wise its nothing like BMW.

The uncomfortable seats, the under power engine, the acceleration, the rattling & humming.... all for the sake of looks. Most of all the Stealer and the Service people has left a very bad taste in my mouth.

Go for BMW my friend !

I agree with your comment, but comparing a RRE v BMW 3 series is just plain stupid, we are not comparing apples for apples.

Now Sold: 5dr Pure SD4 Man / Fuji White / Pano Roof / Tech Park / Style 6 Alloys / Privacy Glass / Xenons / Black H'lining / Power Fold Door Mirrors / Power Tailgate / Carpet Mats / Front Fogs.
28-06-2012 02:54pm
turboaddict

(28-06-2012 09:25am)EvoqueNorCal Wrote:  If the residual was 55% or 59%, as one of the dealerships said it was, I'd be closed. I just can't justify getting a car with such a poor residual right now. If I was overflowing with cash and had no debt, I'd do it, but I have to keep a sharp eye on where my money is going.

So why not go to that dealer? I went to 3 dealers in NY/NJ and one of them wasnt lease friendly and the other was willing to give me a lease without any hassle. Of course I went to a dealer that I'm comfortable with so I think you should. When I bought my Infiniti a few years back, most NY/NJ dealer want to charge me MSRP and they didnt have the color I want. I called all the dealer in the Tri-State area and I end up buying it in Connecticut (about 70 miles away) and that dealer gave me the car I want 500 above invoice....

I did the math with the RRE and since I do have a down payment to put in so I went with the purchase. With a purchase, it will be much easier for me to trade the car in case the RRE turn out to be unreliable.

RRE Dynamic, Firenze Red w/ contrast Black roof, Ebony/Pimento, Climate Control, Satellite Radio, w/ Roof Rail/Cross Bar.
Turbo Infiniti G35 with lots of extra....
(This post was last modified: 28-06-2012 02:59pm by turboaddict.)
28-06-2012 02:56pm
paulcon

Personally, I think you're making a very sensible decision on based on what you need from a car which is great ........until that rare occasion you'll see the signature lights of an Evoque coming your way and you potentially realise you should have gone with what you 'wanted'

I didn't need to have an iPhone I could have got the cheaper and arguably better Samsung Galaxy S2. Problem was I wanted an iPhone.

Life's too short not to have what you want, if you can afford it. That's why I was so insistent on having the Lux pack. Do I 'need' park assist, No. Do I want it for the sheer novelty value , hell yes!

Well, you asked for opinions!

Black 'n Black SD4 Dynamic Lux 5-door with privacy.
(This post was last modified: 28-06-2012 03:19pm by paulcon.)
28-06-2012 03:14pm
EvoqueNorCal

(28-06-2012 12:54pm)Straydox Wrote:  It's a money thing for our US friend - he wants an RRE in his head and his ego says he'd look good in it. The last post had some drivel about the way he drives so clearly we have a gifted and exceptional driver here too - as many sadly mistaken Beemer pilots also believe. Off you go - you will blast past many Evoques in the 3 Series and also look in the rear view mirror and realise that they are having more fun than you are - and that will be really annoying.

Straydox, you didn't have to get nasty about it. I haven't insulted anyone here. I was just looking for clean opinions.

I know how to drive. I don't just think I do. I've been to the BMW Performance Center almost half a dozen times and have spent many days being trained by professional race car drivers.

I won't be annoyed about Evoque owners having more fun than me. I think in the overall experience they might, but certainly not driving on the road. Anyone who loves driving fast and taking corners quick will not have more fun doing it in an Evoque than a 3 series. The Evoque has many benefits to it all around that make it worthwhile and that's why I wanted one in the first place, but more fun to drive for drivers who love to drive quick... that just wouldn't make any sense because no one can argue that the Evoque has better driving dynamics than the 3.
(28-06-2012 02:53pm)invoke Wrote:  I'll never in million years buy any LR product again... Evoque may appear attractive, performance wise its nothing like BMW.

My 2004 x3, which i sadly trade it in, gave me 7 years of dedicate performance, all i did was oil change, new tires and plug filters. thats it.. While Evoque has been garage since the first day several time and the problems are squarely ignored.

The uncomfortable seats, the under power engine, the acceleration, the rattling & humming.... all for the sake of "LOOKS". Most of all the Stealer and the Service people has left a very bad taste in my mouth.

Go for BMW my friend !

Thank you!
(28-06-2012 02:54pm)xxxx5 Wrote:  I agree with your comment, but comparing a RRE v BMW 3 series is just plain stupid, we are not comparing apples for apples.

Agreed. Very different. It just happens they are the two that my choice comes down to as the only two cars on the road that I find interesting enough in order to go through the hassle of selling my current car in order to get.
(28-06-2012 02:56pm)turboaddict Wrote:  So why not go to that dealer? I went to 3 dealers in NY/NJ and one of them wasnt lease friendly and the other was willing to give me a lease without any hassle. Of course I went to a dealer that I'm comfortable with so I think you should. When I bought my Infiniti a few years back, most NY/NJ dealer want to charge me MSRP and they didnt have the color I want. I called all the dealer in the Tri-State area and I end up buying it in Connecticut (about 70 miles away) and that dealer gave me the car I want 500 above invoice....

I did the math with the RRE and since I do have a down payment to put in so I went with the purchase. With a purchase, it will be much easier for me to trade the car in case the RRE turn out to be unreliable.

I can't. They are on the east coast and I am on the west coast. LR does not allow dealers to sell to customers outside of their territory as they don't want all of the dealerships to compete on price and then whore out the prices.
(28-06-2012 03:14pm)paulcon Wrote:  Personally, I think you're making a very sensible decision on based on what you need from a car which is great ........until that rare occasion you'll see the signature lights of an Evoque coming your way and you potentially realise you should have gone with what you 'wanted'

I didn't need to have an iPhone I could have got the cheaper and arguably better Samsung Galaxy S2. Problem was I wanted an iPhone.

Life's too short not to have what you want, if you can afford it. That's why I was so insistent on having the Lux pack. Do I 'need' park assist, No. Do I want it for the sheer novelty value , hell yes!

Well, you asked for opinions!

Good advice. Thanks, Paul!
(This post was last modified: 28-06-2012 03:41pm by EvoqueNorCal.)
28-06-2012 03:36pm
paulcon

[/quote]

If it helps, I was torn between an Audi S5 Sportback v's RRE and had there been any used stock available of the latest gen S5 at the right spec and within my budget then the RRE would have had a serious fight on its hands. I loved the driving dynamics of the S5 and need quattro/ 4x4 (which is why the 3 series didn't get a look in)

The RRE has more overall appeal IMO and is close to being every car you'll ever need. However, there's no doubting that I'll always ponder the S5 for the driver in me - not necessarily for it's handling but for its outstanding engine that is actually capable of matching the real world figures of an SD4 by all counts!

Black 'n Black SD4 Dynamic Lux 5-door with privacy.
28-06-2012 05:22pm
turboaddict

(28-06-2012 03:36pm)EvoqueNorCal Wrote:  I can't. They are on the east coast and I am on the west coast. LR does not allow dealers to sell to customers outside of their territory as they don't want all of the dealerships to compete on price and then whore out the prices.

Really? So if you bought the car in Texas and moved to NY the dealer wont service your car? I doubt it. I live in NY and I bought my RRE in NJ. I see that there are a lot more supply in East than in the West. I guess because the entry point is in DC. Just look harder and I bet you can find a dealer close by or even States next to you. I went to one dealer in NJ and then I went told the other dealer on the norther part of NJ the deal I got and he clearly said to me that he will beat the price which he did. Dealer's are mostly interdependently owned so trust me, they want your business and they have no shame stealing away clients from another dealer.

RRE Dynamic, Firenze Red w/ contrast Black roof, Ebony/Pimento, Climate Control, Satellite Radio, w/ Roof Rail/Cross Bar.
Turbo Infiniti G35 with lots of extra....
28-06-2012 06:27pm