Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 1 Average
Think I've decided not to get the Evoque... and get a BMW 3 instead
Mudi1

RE: Think I've decided not to get the Evoque... and get a BMW 3 instead

Your decision for not choosing the evoque makes sense. Perhaps for your next vehicle when the US has an abundance of them, with all issues and dynamics of the car sorted you may return. We hope so.
28-06-2012 08:48am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Daigriff

On paper it makes sense to get the beemer... But...I know that after the honeymoon period is over I'd regret the choice because generally a car purchase is made with the heart. As others have said its just a loaded rep mobile and the front end...ouch!!!

I'd also guess the residuals will be a lot less than the Evoque come change time...especially here.

Give me Halle Berry over Paris Hilton any day.

Arrived 16th December 2011: 5 door Prestige SD4 auto in Barolo black with ambience interior, pano roof, privacy and 20" style 6 alloys.Very Happy
28-06-2012 09:03am
RacingSnake

There was a post here to someone else who was unsure, which I think was spot on...
"if you really want an evoque, you'll find a way to afford it"

If you're arguements are more about the finance methods than the actual car, and your alternative is not really a direct competitor, then I'd be asking myself whether the evoque was the right car in the first place.
BMW's are no doubt capable, well put together cars, but (certainly here in the UK) their owners are often stereotyped Laughing

Good luck with your choice, Cool

Ordered: Fuji Dynamic Lux Coupe / style 7 wheels / Privacy glass / adaptive xenons / something else which I've forgotton.
Should be end of April (was March, then April, then end of May/June).
Collected, Friday 13th Shocked April 2012
28-06-2012 09:15am
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Belvoirbloke

BMW 3 is two-a-penny here, they pass you by minute by minute. I’m sure they are very capable and likeable but there is no way I could waste my money on something so bland and so every-day. Seems a lost opportunity.

lover’s tiff over Razz
Prestige SD4 auto, 5DR, Orkney Grey, Ivory/Dark Cherry/Pano/Power Tailgate
28-06-2012 09:16am
EvoqueNorCal

(28-06-2012 08:48am)Mudi1 Wrote:  Your decision for not choosing the evoque makes sense. Perhaps for your next vehicle when the US has an abundance of them, with all issues and dynamics of the car sorted you may return. We hope so.

Thanks!
28-06-2012 09:18am
FujiSan

Everyone's choice is personal, but for me - if faced with a choice of a BMW 3 or an Evoque, it would be the Evoque every day of the week and then twice on Sundays.

The 3 series is just too boring - every sales rep (and their dog) has one over here. OK, so it's fast - so what! All that means is you get to the speed limit faster than I will.

We both will be smiling, whatever our choices I'm sure, but maybe others will looking at the Evoque and some form of emotion will be felt - whether it's positive or negative. I wonder if anybody will actually notice another BMW 3 series on the road.

(Your mileage - of course - may vary.)

TD4 Pure - Now a rare breed...

[Image: 131166.png]
(This post was last modified: 28-06-2012 09:21am by FujiSan.)
28-06-2012 09:20am
EvoqueNorCal

(28-06-2012 09:03am)Daigriff Wrote:  I'd also guess the residuals will be a lot less than the Evoque come change time...especially here.

The opposite actually. That's the biggest part of why I feel like the BMW makes more sense. The Evoque shows a residual of 47%. The BMW, 62%. That's a huge difference. A 47% residual on 36 months is quite poor, in my opinion. To me, it doesn't make sense. The Evoque is a great vehicle and very popular with high demand and low supply so the residual should be more on par with the BMW, but for some reason that's what the bank is predicting the car will be worth in 3 years and the bank sets the rate and is not negotiable.

If the residual was 55% or 59%, as one of the dealerships said it was, I'd be closed. I just can't justify getting a car with such a poor residual right now. If I was overflowing with cash and had no debt, I'd do it, but I have to keep a sharp eye on where my money is going. I *could* afford a $950/month lease, but that money makes more sense going somewhere else. It might only be $150/month difference but that's the difference between feeling like I got a great deal and feeling like I overpaid. And I LOVE to get a great deal. I was prepared to fax every Land Rover dealer in the country to get them to compete on price and give me the deal I want. Smile

Even if one can afford it, doesn't make sense to overpay in my mind. And with such a low residual, I'd feel like I'm overpaying. I might justify it if the car was absolutely perfect in every way, but then I would be dreaming. Tongue Out

(28-06-2012 09:16am)Belvoirbloke Wrote:  BMW 3 is two-a-penny here, they pass you by minute by minute. I’m sure they are very capable and likeable but there is no way I could waste my money on something so bland and so every-day. Seems a lost opportunity.

I kinda think it's as bland as the driver is. If you know how to drive a car as I do, it's loads of fun. And for the last 4 years, I've been dreaming about more speed. With the 3, I'd really never have to worry about being able to pass someone on a single lane road or on the highway.

Trust me, this is a hard call, it is. That's why I'm asking you guys for opinions. I was psyched to get the Evoque for the last week and driving it yesterday made me even more excited about it. But crunching the numbers put a real rain cloud over the whole thing.

I like to get the best bang for my buck and I'm just not sure the Evoque is it.

It's a statement, for sure, but how long would that statement last? In 12 months, will the Evoque really be as impressive as it is now to look at? Perhaps it's different here in the USA than in the UK? There are a lot more of them sitting on dealer lots here and people here don't seem to notice them *as* much. It's definitely a stand-out car, but people don't stare and point so far as I could tell when I took my 2 hour test drive.

(28-06-2012 09:20am)FujiSan Wrote:  Everyone's choice is personal, but for me - if faced with a choice of a BMW 3 or an Evoque, it would be the Evoque every day of the week and then twice on Sundays.

The 3 series is just too boring - every sales rep (and their dog) has one over here. OK, so it's fast - so what! All that means is you get to the speed limit faster than I will.

We both will be smiling, whatever our choices I'm sure, but maybe others will looking at the Evoque and some form of emotion will be felt - whether it's positive or negative. I wonder if anybody will actually notice another BMW 3 series on the road.

(Your mileage - of course - may vary.)

I've got it! ...I buy the Evoque body and stick it on the 335i's chassis! Problem solved. Very Happy
(This post was last modified: 28-06-2012 09:33am by EvoqueNorCal.)
28-06-2012 09:25am
KaDargo

Shame really - the technology going into BMW's today is fantatstic.

Must have been an interrnal memo from the board to the design lab - "Make all of our cars the most technologically advanced in the world, but also the ugliest" !!Laughing

SD4 Prestige, Mauritius, Element, Cirrus Headlining, Pana Roof, Park Assist, Heated Steering Wheel,Blind Spot monitor, 20" Alloys, Powered Tailgate
28-06-2012 09:43am
WB
WB

I've owned more BMWs than any other brand and still think they can't be beaten for driving dynamics but a 3 series just doesnt come close to feeling as "special" as the Evoque.

The reason the LR finance is more expensive is that demand is far outstripping supply hence the long lead times but don't forget that should also equate to higher residuals. In the UK the Evoque is expected to hold 97% of its purchase price after 1 year / 10,000 miles!
28-06-2012 11:22am
Straydox

It's a money thing for our US friend - he wants an RRE in his head and his ego says he'd look good in it. The last post had some drivel about the way he drives so clearly we have a gifted and exceptional driver here too - as many sadly mistaken Beemer pilots also believe. Off you go - you will blast past many Evoques in the 3 Series and also look in the rear view mirror and realise that they are having more fun than you are - and that will be really annoying.

Delivered 15th May 2012, rejected and returned 4th Feb 2013 - SD4 5 door Prestige manual with a bucket full of rattles Mauritius Blue. Crazy Audi MY2020 RSQ3
28-06-2012 12:54pm