Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
The Good the Bad and the Ugly.....
xxxx5

Well today saw the end to my 13 month ownership of a Range Rover Evoque, and whilist I have mixed emotions I thought I would share my last thoughts. Please remember these are my own personal thoughts and experiences and I appreciate some will have not, nor will have the same issues.

I will start with the Good

- What a great look car, the design is fresh and is a real eye catcher, I will miss the weekly hand wash and polish i gave her, because the design and shape is something special.

-Off-road capability - whilst I never used my own car off-road, i was amazed at the capability when I took a day in at one of the Landrover off-road centres in Yorkshire. The ability of this car is quite unique.

-Depreciation - I am still shocked at the price i managed to sell my car for. I hope the values remain good for another couple of years for anybody else looking to sell. I suspect I might have caught the market at the right time, and the right buyer.

The Bad

- Quality of some of the interior plastics and not what I expect on a £30k+ car. I have seen better on less none prestige manufactures.

- Large wing mirrors - I recent weeks I have started to notice more the "blind spot" these create especially at junctions and roundabouts, whilst I think the design needs a large mirror the embrace the cars overall design they are certainly an issue and hope they get addressed in future models.

- MPG - I know this is well documented on here and various other forums, and manufactures figure are always very high, but I really struggled to get even close to the published figures. In my opinion a real let down given some of the competition like BMW and Audi with better fuel efficient engines.

- Technology - A major let down. The sat nav is poor compared to my BMW, the screen reaction times are slow, bluetooth connection was eh well somewhat erratic and generally I feel it is some way behind BMW, Audi systems.

- Lack of passenger heigh adjustable seat on a £30k car, come on JLR please get your act together.

- Servicing costs - I little higher than I would have expected, put not a major issue to complain about.

- Rattles - There are a number and thats all I will say!!

- Exclusivity - I know the car is popular but it seems to have lost some of the special exclusivity. I can see 4 within 0.5miles of my house and the other day i drove to Hull and back and counted 46! and that wasn't including the one on the two car transporters that I passed.

and finally the Ugly...

- Dealers (and one of the main reasons why I sold now). Hunters Preston should be ashamed to be a Landrover / Range Rover dealer. There service from the day I placed the order to the final customer engagement with a warranty issue is nothing more than appalling. I will never and deal with them again. For me they have played a major part in the decision to sell the car. They just don't understand customer service, from rude and incompetent staff to the way they general organise themselves. I would love to be the dealer principle for 3 months as I would certainly change the way they deal and more importantly retain customers. A real let down. I didn't feel privileged to be a customer compared to that way I have been treated in the past at BMW.

and finally............

I must say a big thank you to all the forum members on Baby RR, I joined early in 2011 when i placed my order and must say I read the forum everyday, and it is the best car forum i have ever used. This is down to the members and the admin team. It is full of knowledge people, who are polite and respect others tastes, choices and decisions. I am glad I met some of you at the factory visit in March 2012. A great day out and a pleasure to meet and discuss all things RR.

I will pop in and keep checking on you all and wish you all the very best in your baby RR's....

Now Sold: 5dr Pure SD4 Man / Fuji White / Pano Roof / Tech Park / Style 6 Alloys / Privacy Glass / Xenons / Black H'lining / Power Fold Door Mirrors / Power Tailgate / Carpet Mats / Front Fogs.
(This post was last modified: 09-04-2013 05:17pm by xxxx5.)
09-04-2013 04:33pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PhilSkill

RE: The Good the Bad and the Ugly.....

Good luck xxxx5, enjoy whatever you get next.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
09-04-2013 04:48pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Sorry that you will be leaving us xxxx5. Let us know how you get on with your next drive.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 09-04-2013 06:39pm by XFullFatTim.)
09-04-2013 06:36pm
ceebee

Some great points above xxxx5!

Sad to see the Evoque go but I am sure you will remain a non-Evoque owning member of the forum, much like myself!

Waiting for: - 2015 SD4 Dynamic, LUX pack, Auto, 5 door. Mauritius Blue. Santorini Roof........spare wheel.
09-04-2013 08:00pm
Evo-king

Servicing Costs.

There are a couple of forum members on here who have recently got a 5yr service package for £199!

Evoque No3: MY15 Dynamic Lux SD4, Auto, Santorini Black, Pimento Dynamic Plus Sports Seats, Ebony headlining, Pan Roof, Shadow Chrome Alloys.
09-04-2013 08:55pm
Daigriff

Good read XXXX5. I agree with a lot of what you say but am hanging on to mine whilst it still keeps a smile on my face and hope prices don't fall too far by the time I come to change. Also I don't see that many around where I am.

What have you bought and I presume you sold privately?

All the best

Dai

Arrived 16th December 2011: 5 door Prestige SD4 auto in Barolo black with ambience interior, pano roof, privacy and 20" style 6 alloys.Very Happy
09-04-2013 09:12pm
SINGHY

XXX5
Sorry to hear you're leaving us as I enjoyed reading your posts. I can relate to many of your comments but for the moment my Evoque still puts a smile on my face and around these parts it's still a rarity

Pure SD4 5 door in Orkney Grey with Tech Pack, Xenons, Pan Roof, Auto dim mirror, Gloss black Dynamic grill upgrade, Roof, sde vents and waist rail wrapped in gloss black, Front Fogs, Style 4 Alloys and Spare Wheel - Collected on 6 April.
09-04-2013 10:22pm
xxxx5

Thanks everyone for the comments, I will miss the smile it did put on my face, unfortunately there was too many "others things" that didn't make me smile. Hopefully the replacement will make the wife smile again as she drives this car most.
(09-04-2013 09:12pm)Daigriff Wrote:  Good read XXXX5. I agree with a lot of what you say but am hanging on to mine whilst it still keeps a smile on my face and hope prices don't fall too far by the time I come to change. Also I don't see that many around where I am.

What have you bought and I presume you sold privately?

All the best

Dai

A am awaiting delivery of a JCW kitted Mini Countryman SD, which my wife will drive. I am due to change my company car later this year, so will get another BMW.
I did sell privately hence the good price achieved.

Now Sold: 5dr Pure SD4 Man / Fuji White / Pano Roof / Tech Park / Style 6 Alloys / Privacy Glass / Xenons / Black H'lining / Power Fold Door Mirrors / Power Tailgate / Carpet Mats / Front Fogs.
(This post was last modified: 09-04-2013 10:31pm by xxxx5.)
09-04-2013 10:28pm
chris taylor

Sorry your leaving
reliability of mine has been good, no other car i have owned has given me as much pleasure as the evoque the only downside for me is the stratstone dealership.
Hope you enjoy your next car.
09-04-2013 10:36pm
enigma

Good luck with your next purchase.

I really cannot find the words to use in public how I feel about my dealer.

They were beyond apalling .....................

I changed from BMW and I do not feel I have the confidence to buy another JLR product again, I think I will return to BMW.
10-04-2013 01:21pm