Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Test drives - how long?
Maarten

Test drives - how long?

Same experience as BMW86. I was given the keys and told to take as long as I like. I can recommend LR/RR Austral in Brisbane, Paul James Smile

Evoque Prestige | Build: 16 Feb 2012 | Delivered: 23 April 2012
Auto | SD4 | 5 door | Fuji white | Spirit interior | Prestige tech pack | Adaptive dynamics | Panoramic roof | 20" Style 6 wheels Very Happy
09-12-2011 10:41am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
sethor

RE: Test drives - how long?

Did 3 test drives on separate visits to the same dealer.

First was an accompanied drive in a Si4 for about 5 mins
Second was an unaccompanied drive in a SD4 for about 20 mins
Third was an unaccompanied drive in a Si4 w/AD for about 45 mins

Fuji White Dynamic Si4
(This post was last modified: 10-01-2012 05:24pm by sethor.)
10-01-2012 05:23pm
deebabe2004

1 test drive total of 30mins -Highway, back streets and off road Smile

Soon to be the proud owners of a Baby Rangie!

Pure - TD4 Manual - Fuji - 20" Silver Sparkle Style 6 - Ebony Leather & Ebony headliner - Tech Pack - Clearview Pack & Pano Roof - Rear Vents, Paint & Interior protection, Tint

14-01-2012 06:36pm
gead

I am picking up one on saturday Arvo, and dropping it back on Monday morning....after driving a hilux for the last 5 months, I can't wait!

White 5 dr SD4 Dynamic.
20-01-2012 12:06pm
MrHooky

Re: Test drives - how long?

Is it wrong that we ordered one without even test driving?! Bet loads on here took delivery without having driven...

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk

Fuji Pure eD4 5dr | Fogs | Panoramic | 19" Diamond Polished | Ordered June 11 - Expected May 12
Delivered 19/04/12
20-01-2012 12:32pm
gead

Here is a review i wrote for another forum (non range rover) after my test drive...some of the bits will be a bit obvious here, but nevertheless...

Evoque SD4 Prestige review

I managed to get hold of an Evoque for the weekend as part of the ‘subject to test drive’ condition on my contract. If only all test drives could be conducted over a couple of days....

I lobbed at the dealer at 4.30 on Saturday, and was given the choice of three different demonstrators. Why the dealer asked me if I wanted three door petrol when I am looking at a 5 door diesel is beyond me....

I was handed the keys to a grey Prestige model, this is the ‘luxury’ version, with the main difference to my Dynamic order being the quality of the leather on the seats and the dashboard, and some different body panels. It also had the optional panorama glass roof fitted as well. Sitting on the signature 20 inch rims, it really does look fantastic in a cartoonish sort of way.

I read a review somewhere likening it to a full size hot wheels car...spot on. I think it is least successful when viewed from the rear three quarter view, where the steep departure angle and the rising beltline make it look a little pinched. Walking around the car, it is hard to get a handle on how big or small it is. Standing at the side of it, it looks compact, but moving around to either end, you get a sense of the width, and it feels huge. This is confirmed when you see a couple of Evoques parked next to (proper) Range Rovers head on, and the Evoque looks about as wide as its big brother.

Sliding in to the driver’s seat, and there is a sense of quality and sturdiness that instantly appeals to me. I always liked the Passat interior for the way the simple lines flowed through with cohesion and a rationale. This design philosophy is evident here as well and probably carried through with a bit more rigour. For some this type of dash architecture might be seen as boring, it is certainly not as adventurous as some of the French or Bangle era BMW designs, but to my eyes its calm and resolved, with everything in its proper place. The ergonomics are similarly intuitive, with good reach on the adjustable steering column, combining with plenty of adjustment in the seat to allow me to easily find a comfortable position at the tiller.

As usual these days, the steering wheel is bejewelled with buttons and paddles, but after a quick familiarisation, they soon become second nature. The cruise control controls are particularly good, with a large paddle to cancel the cruise, and no requirement to turn the cruise on before setting your desired speed. Just hit the set button, and you are set...so to speak.

Sat Nav, music, and phone are all integrated into the large touchscreen, and it really does feel like a generational improvement over my old RNS-510 unit in the Passat. Bluetooth audio streaming works flawlessly, and i will be keen to see if I can notice any difference between a wired connection and the Bluetooth in the future.
Foot on the brake push the starter button, and the engine comes to life....apparently. From inside the cabin, there is almost no noise, and precious little vibration to alert you to the fact that there is a diesel unit up front. It’s not so stealthy from outside the car, with a very obvious diesel idle audible. My previous experience with diesel engines has been confined to the Hilux, and a new Hyundai Santa-Fe. The Hilux is not really comparable, but the Evoque surpasses the Hyundai by quite some margin in terms of refinement.

Pulling away from standstill, the automatic further helps to disguise the diesel power plant with smooth shifts that hide the small rev range available, and under load the engine is quiet and feels purposeful. This is not a quick car by any means, but it easily keeps up with traffic from a standing start, and once up to speed the throttle is usefully responsive. The way the drive train handles the 420 nm of torque is really nice. There is no unruliness through the wheel when the turbo spools up, just a nice linear shove in the back.

The gearbox is only a six speeder and has the obligatory Sport mode available. It also has paddles behind the wheel which allow you to take (some degree) of control should you wish. The sport mode seems to be better judged than the Passat’s, in that it can be used on the road without you looking like an insane hoon. Probably not so good on the race track though, as Wheels found out...meh.

I found the paddles really useful when going for a drive through the twisties (Healesville to Toolangi). Holding third allowed me to keep the chassis loaded up and enjoy the direct accurate steering and impressive body control. It really does handle way better than it looks like it should...My order has the adaptive suspension, which this car didn’t have, so I am hoping it may be even more fun on a good road.

All of this was undertaken at no more than about 7/10’s as I had the family in the car, but the great thing was, the ride was so smooth and the cabin so serene, wifey didn’t even raise so much as an eyebrow. This is a world away from the reaction I am used to getting when attempting to push on, even slightly...

The way the suspension coped with bumps and potholes and other road scars was a revelation. Riding on the twenty inch rims, I was expecting the familiar crash through the cabin when encountering these anomalies, but not so. It seems that chassis engineers really do know what they are doing after all. The nice surprise was that even though we were cocooned from the hits and bumps, there was still a level of feedback through the steering wheel that meant I could feel what was happening as we made progress. Impressive

Fuel economy on my 200km drive was mid 8’s, which to be honest wasn’t great. I think the fact that I was ‘testing’ the car may have contributed to this, along with the fact that it only had 700kms on the clock.

All in all, I was very happy with the car. I think it will be a fine family cruiser, and provide enough enjoyment and creature comforts to keep me entertained, and the family comfortable. It’s a change of pace in terms of car selection, but at the end of the day, its better suited to its role than any of my previous cars.

White 5 dr SD4 Dynamic.
23-01-2012 02:00am
chiggy

(20-01-2012 12:32pm)MrHooky Wrote:  Is it wrong that we ordered one without even test driving?! Bet loads on here took delivery without having driven...

I ordered one without test driving.

I just made sure that I put on the contract - subject to finance and test drive.

couple of months later - test drove it.

whether I test drove it or not... I was going to get it either way and I have to say being on the forum convinced me enough to order without test driving!

Evoque Round 2: Fuji Si4 Dynamic - 5dr. Pursuit interior. Dynamic Tech Pack. Adaptive Xenons. 19in Standard Alloy wheels. Twisted Evil
Contrast black roof (to be painted soon). (Previously a Firenze Pure owner - still my favourite colour Wink)
23-01-2012 02:24am
olde

(23-01-2012 02:00am)gead Wrote:  Here is a review i wrote for another forum...

Dang, you should write reviews for a living. I've read more than my share of reviews and you nailed the Evoque better than nearly all of them.

My own test drive was 5 minutes, sandwiched between appointments that were lined up outside the dealership. The demo car rattled like a tin can, so I insisted that squeaks be removed as part of the purchase agreement. I have not had a single squeak since I bought it, but I got a life-time guarantee on those squeaks anyway.

I also negotiated a lifetime guarantee on newness (called a 3 in 1 package), which covers internal and external marks. So, if the car ever stops looking new I get replacement bits... Yeah, we'll have to see how that one pans out.

Whistle Our Petition to Improve the Evoque sent to Range Rover CEO, get your copy ---> HERE <---
23-01-2012 03:44am
Brisbane

I took one for 4 hours Smile During the week on a quiet day.

Pure Tech Pack TD4, Ipanema Sand, 18" Style 2 Alloys, Front Sensors, Rear Camera, Delivered January 2012
25-01-2012 05:51am
MrHooky

Re: Test drives - how long?

I'm about to book a 2 day test drive. It's the terms of our work leasing scheme and is of course subject to a dealer having one that they're happy to lend out. Will be nice to help bridge the gap between now and expected delivery in May...

Fuji Pure eD4 5dr | Fogs | Panoramic | 19" Diamond Polished | Ordered June 11 - Expected May 12
Delivered 19/04/12
25-01-2012 05:23pm