Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Temperature Controls
Good shot

Temperature Controls

What do folks find is the best temperature control setting/method? I've tried all sorts of different settings but find that there is a vertical layering of temperature. That is, especially on longer journeys, I get good temperature control and it's nice and warm from the waist downwards in the drivers "climate zone", but cold from the waist upwards. Anyone else come across this? As I said I've tried all different settings and combinations. I generally run with the aircon off in winter but with the control set on Auto and the driver side temp about 22-23.
14-01-2014 01:46am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
recordman

RE: Temperature Controls

Usually 21 on the driver side and 22 on the passenger. Always with the control set on Auto but with the aircon on all year round. Don't seem to experience the 'layering' effect that you've described, which is strange as one would expect the upper half to be warmer than the lower.

2013 SD4 Prestige auto/5dr/OG/Fuji pano roof
14-01-2014 09:54am
PhilSkill

In very cold weather I've found the Pano roof can cause the upper area around the head to feel a bit colder from the heat loss through the glass to the cold outside, but closing the blind sorts it. Auto 22 for me.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
14-01-2014 10:05am
Good shot

(14-01-2014 10:05am)PhilSkill Wrote:  In very cold weather I've found the Pano roof can cause the upper area around the head to feel a bit colder from the heat loss through the glass to the cold outside, but closing the blind sorts it. Auto 22 for me.

I'll try with the pano closed and see if it makes a difference, although I do like it open all the time.

On short journeys the layering is not noticeable but any longish journeys .... warm feet and legs but cold from the waste upwards. The wife offered a solution - set technology aside and wear a vest - but I'm not really having that!

Just as a related issue. Does having the aircon on all the time affect mpg or is that an old wives story. If so does anyone have any stats.
(This post was last modified: 14-01-2014 11:42am by Good shot.)
14-01-2014 11:39am
Stadt Panzer

Temperature Controls

Having the aircon on in the MY14 does not come up on the Eco data ie it shows as not having an effect on the mpg

Somewhere in the North Sea.
14-01-2014 01:46pm
HeartbreakRidge

(14-01-2014 11:39am)Good shot Wrote:  Just as a related issue. Does having the aircon on all the time affect mpg or is that an old wives story. If so does anyone have any stats.

I think it was true once upon a time, but nowadays a modern automotive compressor is more efficient and even when AC is on does not run all the time, making the ultimate effect minor at best.

MY2014 Pure Plus, Firenze Red, Lunar/Cirrus interior, Climate Care & Vision Assist packages
Built: March 10, 2014 / Delivery Date (three weeks early!): March 26, 2014
14-01-2014 10:46pm
m_101

I think I might turn mine on and see if my overall mpg dips noticeably! If not I'll just keep it on. I never use it at the moment and just have both sides set at 23.5 (I like the car quite warm in the winter).

5 door MY12 Fuji Dynamic Plus with shadow chromes, santorini contrast roof, power tailgate and a couple of added rattles!
Mods - Black RR bonnet vents, Side steps, Silicone rear wiper, rear sill protector, rear sill plates, LED interior lighting conversion, 2014 Sat Nav update.
15-01-2014 12:11am
PhilSkill

Air con requires energy to cool the air, that energy comes from your fuel, it will make a difference, but the efficiency is much better than years ago so may only be a small percentage of the overall fuel use, but it does not come for free.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
15-01-2014 12:22am
Good shot

(15-01-2014 12:22am)PhilSkill Wrote:  Air con requires energy to cool the air, that energy comes from your fuel, it will make a difference, but the efficiency is much better than years ago so may only be a small percentage of the overall fuel use, but it does not come for free.

How does that work in winter then when presumably it's helping warming the air from engine/turbo heat? Maybe it has a lesser effect on mpg in winter than summer?

Last 2013 SD4 Auto, Prestige, Pano, Firenze Red. Loving the USB shuffle.
15-01-2014 01:52am
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Evoque's heater is not like other cars, it is a ceramic element operating on what is called Positive Temperature Coefficient (don't ask as I have no idea, google it!). In theory it should blow warm air immediately after start up as it doesn't require engine heat to work. There are other benefits from running "climate control" even in the winter - it not only warms the car but also de-humidifies the interior so you don't get steamed up windows and wet coats dry out quickly. Although few of us keep cars so long these days it also has a bonus for those that intend to if you read the other LR forums - people who run with the climate off in damp weather report many more electronic gremlims in older Range Rover L322 models and Sports because condensation forms in between the body and the interior trim and that's where you find many of the "black boxes" full of gizmos - running the climate control helps reduce the amount of condensation. Irrespective of whether you choose to run with climate on or off in damp weather you should run it 10 minutes a month to keep the system lubricated and the gas compressed..

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 15-01-2014 05:21pm by XFullFatTim.)
15-01-2014 05:20pm