Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Td4 Vs SD4
THEMACS

Td4 Vs SD4

I am in a bit of a dilema at present.

We currently have a 5 door OG Prestige Manual on order in Td4 spec but have been wondering whethet to change to SD4 Manual, don't like the Auto or its higher emissions.

I see that the perfomance is nigh on the same for both which seems strange given the difference in BHP.

The car is going to be used as a family car and primarily used by my wife during the week and by all of us at the weekend. I have my own car, an E92 335i Msport, which is a Fantastic Car and goes like S**t off a shovel but like to stop at the pumps all too often!!! So speed isn't an issue, I must say I can't imagine anyone buying an evoque purely for performance, not even the Si4 is that quick, anyway I love the Evoque as it Looks FAB and does make you feel good when driving it, although I only had 10 mins of a drive!!

So, is it worth considering?? I note a couple of road tests where they say you can't even notice a difference?? this seems confirmed by the extremely similar performance figures.

On a separate note I am still undecided on the Privacy Glass?? Should we spec this?

Many Thanks

Orkney Grey 5 Door Prestige, Manual SD4, Vibe Interior, Panoramic Roof and Privacy Glass. Order Placed 2/7/11 Picked Up 17/3/12, Gone 10/5/14
16-09-2011 08:46am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
paulus599

RE: Td4 Vs SD4

(16-09-2011 08:46am)THEMACS Wrote:  On a separate note I am still undecided on the Privacy Glass?? Should we spec this?

Only if you want it to look like a 'cut & shut' Laughing

SD4 Prestige Coupe Auto, Fuji White, Pano roof, Park assist, Powered tailgate, Style 6 alloys, Element interior, Adaptive Dynamics. Build date: WAS 21/10/2011 Delivered 13/12/2011
Now: Evoque SD4 Coupe
Gone: TTS Roadster
Gone: Mini Cooper S
Gone: Mercedes SLK
16-09-2011 11:41am
andyuk

I have driven both & the SD4 was quieter than TD4 & I def felt more pull from 0-60 so I ordered the SD4. You also get twin exhorts whereas the TD4 is single.

Dynamic SD4 Manual Red with Black contrast & Panaramic Roof, Vortex Interior, 20" Alloys, Privacy Glass, Black Headlining
16-09-2011 02:21pm
THEMACS

Thanks Andy, thats interesting to hear. The refinement would probably just sway it for me as the performance differnce is negligable and both will be overtaken in a sprint by a lame Tortoise!!!Laughing

Orkney Grey 5 Door Prestige, Manual SD4, Vibe Interior, Panoramic Roof and Privacy Glass. Order Placed 2/7/11 Picked Up 17/3/12, Gone 10/5/14
16-09-2011 02:56pm
CSJ

I would go for Privacy glass in the coupe but not in the 5 door but agian thats just personal preference - I have seen the privacy on both and I just felt it added to the lines of the coupe but distracted from the 5 door

Smile

On order: Volvo XC60 T5 Inscription Pro

Current: Porsche Macan, Pebble Interior, Volcano Grey, Bose, other extras which cost lots and should be standard

Gone:
BMW X6 m diesel with BMW exclusive interior
Evoque Dynamic Orkney, Accolade Dynamic Plus Sports Interior (Ivory)
Evoque. Coupe, Dynamic, Fuji, Pursuit (x2)
Scirocco 2.0 GT DSG, Black, Black Lthr, 19" Luganos
TT Mk 2, Grey, Audi Exclusive Int
SLK Mk 2, Blk, Beige Lthr
TT Mk 1, Blue, Silver Lthr
TT Mk 1, Silver, Grey Lthr
16-09-2011 03:12pm
ytshome

(16-09-2011 03:12pm)CSJ Wrote:  I would go for Privacy glass in the coupe but not in the 5 door but agian thats just personal preference - I have seen the privacy on both and I just felt it added to the lines of the coupe but distracted from the 5 door

Smile

Funny how tastes are different.. I think that it adds to the five door and makes it a little more coupe like. YT
On a separate note I am still undecided on the Privacy Glass?? Should we spec this?

Many Thanks
[/quote]

Hi I'm picking my OG 5 door with privacy on Tuesday, I'll tell you what it looks like in the metal. Cheers YT

Arrived. Prestige SD4 Auto 5DR OG September 11
(This post was last modified: 16-09-2011 03:20pm by ytshome.)
16-09-2011 03:17pm
THEMACS

Thanks YT, I will be interested to see it, I really just can't decide, I have seen pics of 5 Door OG with Privacy but not many without, just not sure if I like it, would have to see side by side in the metal, but I doubt i will get to!!

On a separate note I think we will change to the SD4 if its more refined.

I hope you enjoy your New Car YT, not long now!!Smile

16-09-2011 09:08pm
musher

Hi everyone,

New to this site having jumped over from the RRS forum and have been very impressed with what I have read and seen so far.

I'm in the same position as THEMACS and can't decide on either the TD4 or SD4. I read with interest that 1 or 2 others on this site have said that the TD4 has only 1 exhaust compared with the SD4 which has 2.

I'm no boy racer anymore and believe that the TD4 will be more than adequete for my needs plus according to my dealer the TD4 is slightly better on fuel than the SD4 albeit by only a few mpg and it saves me £1000 in the process which, would pay not only for a pano roof, but also the dimming rear view mirror which is another one of my opitions. The thing now putting me off the TD4 is it having only the one exhaust which in my opinion would not look as good as the 2 on the SD4.

Has anyone any pics of both rear ends (excuse the pun) so that it would give me a better idea of how they look as I haven't been able to see a TD4 in the flesh as of yetConfused:

MY 14 Fuji 5 Door Dynamic SD4 9 Speed Auto Box with pano roof, auto boot, Auto dimming rear view mirror, Privacy glass, Mud Flaps, Bonnet/Boot black Lettering and 5 year service plan thrown in for good measure
16-09-2011 09:32pm
J77

SD4 manual is only 0.8secs quicker from 0-60mph than the TD4, can't see where the extra 1k goes. I have SD4 freelander at the moment and it goes like s**t of a shovel but that is the auto, I think to get the best from the SD4 it has to be the auto model.

18MY Range Rover Velar R-Dynamic SE D240
16-09-2011 09:34pm
RadioHam

SAME DILEMMAS! Spoke to my salesman today - he has driven both and his comment was that unless you are a "foot to the floor merchant" they don't feel much different.

I have 2 weeks left to ammend spec and was worried TD4 will be too lethargic - so have arranged to test drive SD4 next week. I would like comparable performance to my current Tiguan TDI 170 sport so if SD4 is similar, which I suspect it will be, then I will upgrade to SD4.

That said the Evoque for me isn't about performance but the added refinement & twin exhausts may just seal the SD4 deal.

Privacy glass has been a dilemma too - not convinced it does anything for the 5 door so am currently leaning to not speccing it (could always add an aftermarket tint at a later stage I suppose)

Pure 5 door manual TD4 in Fuji/Ebony - front fogs, tow bar & spare wheel - January Deliv.
16-09-2011 09:38pm