Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
TOWBAR GUIDE as at 27/08/12 (already on version 2!)
Barton Evoque

RE: TOWBAR GUIDE as at 27/08/12 (already on version 2!)

Well the tow trust bar is going on this morning all looking good so far no bumper cut at all.looks like its the bar to have will take some pictures later. Cost for bumper and dedicated electrics which I supplied £300 fitter £100 so £400 all in.

Evoque My13 TD4 Pure.Orkney Grey with Tech Pack~Spare Wheel~Front Fogs~Privacy Glass~Ebony Interior~Mudflaps~Evoque Footrest~DVD Headrests~Towtrust Towbar.Collected 17th Sept. Very Happy
Also nicely modded Audi TT Roadster.
09-03-2013 11:40am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PMN02

(09-03-2013 11:40am)Barton Evoque Wrote:  Well the tow trust bar is going on this morning all looking good so far no bumper cut at all.looks like its the bar to have will take some pictures later. Cost for bumper and dedicated electrics which I supplied £300 fitter £100 so £400 all in.

Just fitted the tow trust detachable bar myself this weekend with vehicle specific electrics no bumper cuts required (other than heat shield). Very pleased with finished job, with hitch removed and electric socket swung up there is nothing to see. Would recommend for ease of fitting and concealment when not in use. Total cost £317.50 from Towbars Direct including next day delivery, somewhat cheaper than £800 charged for a dealer fit and and no wrecking the bumper.
10-03-2013 09:12pm
Barton Evoque

I bought my towbar and electrics from here http://www.towbars-uk.co.uk/product/1159...ver-evoque my fitter said this was best towbar he had seen for the Evoque and was very impressed only took him 90 minutes to fit inc two coffee breaks.

Evoque My13 TD4 Pure.Orkney Grey with Tech Pack~Spare Wheel~Front Fogs~Privacy Glass~Ebony Interior~Mudflaps~Evoque Footrest~DVD Headrests~Towtrust Towbar.Collected 17th Sept. Very Happy
10-03-2013 09:21pm
chrisell

Anyone from the US on this forum? We've got a couple of options over here - Curt Manufacturting and U-Haul. They're actually both the same item and the revised one is claimed to be able to be fitted without any cutting.
This is the hitch : http://www.curtmfg.com/part/13128

For the electrics - what's the deal? I saw reference to fuses and relays but couldn't find any info on wiring looms and plug kits. Is there a part or kit that plugs into wiring already around the back of the car? (mine's still on order so I can't go look)

Any reprogramming required?
For example on my VW Tiguan there's a large electrical connector in the boot/trunk behind one of the side panels. You get a box of tricks from VW and plug it in there and then plug the other part of the loom (also already in the car) into the other side. BUT with my VW I had to change some of the coding in the onboard computer to tell it there was a hitch and electic kit fitted (can do that with a VAGCOM for VW).

Chris.
14-03-2013 06:23pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Barton Evoque

Not so happy today.done about 100 miles todays having some vibration from somewhere can really pin point it.looks like i'm gonna have to have fitter back.mainly happening at higher speeds.Sad

All sorted now 2 bolts on the electrics that's swing up were touching the exhaust causing a vibration.

(This post was last modified: 29-03-2013 07:38am by Barton Evoque.)
16-03-2013 04:39pm
Nantmoel

Landrover Tow Bar

Well I finally got round to fitting a genuine landrover tow bar and electrics today, I will say that although fitting the tow bar was quiet straight forward (except for two bolts), the removal and refitting of the bumper was a right pain. The instruction provided by landrover were a little waste of time! I learnt far more reading the posts here. I will post up some pictures of the finished results showing the bumper cut and the electrics.

Here is a picture with the tow bar removed, when fitted you can't really see the electrics, still may move these and use one that swings away.

[Image: 36f0ec4b-9f24-4177-a98d-ff4f63d92b3b_zpsfb9444c0.jpg]

A big thanks to Dave R. for all his help and providing me with his document of his tow bar fitting.

Arrived March 4th 2013: 2.2 SD4 Dynamic 5dr Auto, Firenze Red with Santorini Black Contrast Roof with full Panoramic Roof, Privacy Glass, 20" Shadow Alloy Wheels, Heated Steering Wheel, Powered Tail Gate, Park Assist and TV.
28-03-2013 10:49pm
Geezer71

Can anyone tell me if my warranty would be affected by a retofit Towbar, for the likes of the electrics. The dealer will fit one but cannot supply me with one that when detached hides the electrics.

Regards
Geezer

Black 2.2 SD4 panoramic roof, Lux pack, privacy glass 20 in alloys.
30-03-2013 06:56pm
Nantmoel

(30-03-2013 06:56pm)Geezer71 Wrote:  Can anyone tell me if my warranty would be affected by a retofit Towbar, for the likes of the electrics. The dealer will fit one but cannot supply me with one that when detached hides the electrics.

Regards
Geezer
Well surely if the dealer fitted it why would it effect you warranty? I fitted a genuine LR electrics so I don't think ut effect any warranty issue.

Arrived March 4th 2013: 2.2 SD4 Dynamic 5dr Auto, Firenze Red with Santorini Black Contrast Roof with full Panoramic Roof, Privacy Glass, 20" Shadow Alloy Wheels, Heated Steering Wheel, Powered Tail Gate, Park Assist and TV.
30-03-2013 08:56pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

If you retro fit an LR tow bar and the install is carried out by an LR dealership then nothing is affected regarding warranty and you get a 12 months warranty on the fitting and installation - if you do it yourself using the LR accessory tow bar and follow the instructions how can anybody give a warranty, how can it also void your 3 years warranty? The only thing it could have any bearing on would be the anti-corrosion warranty if you bared any protected parts, as far as I know the electrics supplied by LR with their kit is also plug and play so doesn't even require a visit to a dealership to enable the lighting and allow disablement of the parking sensors when towing

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 30-03-2013 09:46pm by XFullFatTim.)
30-03-2013 09:45pm
chrisell

(30-03-2013 09:45pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  If you retro fit an LR tow bar and the install is carried out by an LR dealership then nothing is affected regarding warranty and you get a 12 months warranty on the fitting and installation - if you do it yourself using the LR accessory tow bar and follow the instructions how can anybody give a warranty, how can it also void your 3 years warranty? The only thing it could have any bearing on would be the anti-corrosion warranty if you bared any protected parts, as far as I know the electrics supplied by LR with their kit is also plug and play so doesn't even require a visit to a dealership to enable the lighting and allow disablement of the parking sensors when towing

What does the LR electric kit look like? I mean how far does the wiring loom go in the car already? Is it into the rear bumper cavity? (I ask because my Evoke is on order, due June 23rd).

Chris.
30-03-2013 09:50pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply