Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Sunday Times - inGear - Clarkson Reviews Evoque...
flurberman

Clarkson loves it, gives it 5 Stars !

"What we have here, then, is a proper Range Rover that is also an Audi TT, a hot hatch, an off-roader and a branch of Dixons all rolled into one tiny, easy to park package. If i had a job selling BMW X3s or Ford Kugas or any other high-riding semi off road card, I'd be on the lavatory, whimpering! Because anyone who wants such a car and doesn't chose the Evoque is so mad, they will have had their driving license taken away."

Scans:

http://gallery.me.com/philmcdonnell#1000...olor=black

(Sorry tried to attach the scans but didn't seem to work)

Orkney Grey, Si4 Dynamic Coupe with LUX pack, privacy glass, 20" shadow chrome wheels, heated steering wheel, adaptive xenons, TPMS & contrast panoramic roof.
(This post was last modified: 30-10-2011 10:13am by flurberman.)
30-10-2011 10:10am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
rsk21

What he is (IMO) an utter tool it's certainly good to highlight some positivity and he is disturbingly (again IMO) influential so this is good to see.
30-10-2011 10:24am
Token

RE: Sunday Times - inGear - Clarkson Reviews Evoque...

He can be a tool...but he knows cars better than anyone so as far as he's concerned, his opinion counts. Him rating the FFRR as the best car in the world a couple of years ago is what made me buy an FFRR.

Evoque Coupe 2.2 SD4 Dynamic LUX 190HP (in some kind of grey!)

[Image: event.png]
30-10-2011 11:07am
VJD

That's annoying. I just picked up the Sunday Times here in Switzerland, but it doesn't seem to include this inGear. Is it a separate insert section? We've just got one entitled "Culture"... Interesting how LR seem to be providing Colima Lime to all the media types!
30-10-2011 11:17am
flurberman

Sounds like you haven't got all the supplements, it's part of the the 'Home' section

Si4 Dynamic Coupe with LUX pack, privacy glass, stornoway grey.

Orkney Grey, Si4 Dynamic Coupe with LUX pack, privacy glass, 20" shadow chrome wheels, heated steering wheel, adaptive xenons, TPMS & contrast panoramic roof.
(This post was last modified: 30-10-2011 11:24am by flurberman.)
30-10-2011 11:23am
defender_uk

Good review...

shame people think he is a tool though! He is a man who is not afraid to say what he thinks, (and what many others think) and doesn't get stuck with all the PC c**p that we are encumbered by these days. Good on you Clarkson.

Defender_uk

Evoque Prestige Lux, OG, maual, style 4 wheels

comes to live with Defender 90 TDCi 07
30-10-2011 11:25am
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Claud

I bought a RR Vogue SE on the back of a review he did in the Sunday Times 3 years ago and can say everything he says is correct about that car. Having just tested the Evoque Prestige Lux pack at Guy Salmon Thames Ditton I can confirm everything he says about the Evoque is true too! It is also the easiest car to drive of any previous Land Rover.

ps the Magnaride suspension in Dynamc mode is not as firm as some of the cars I have had, it's more compliant than my son's A2, a Renault 5 Turbo and an AMG C36.

[Image: 118733.png]
2013 Discovery HSE Luxury Corris Grey
Sold - 2011 Evoque SD4 Prestige, Auto, Magnaride, Orkney Grey, Lux Pack, TPMS, Heated Steering Wheel
2010 Freelander SD4
1997 Defender 90 XD Wolf (ex Ghurkas)
1991 Defender County 110 V8
1959 Series II
1953 Series I
1952 Minerva Ambulance
(This post was last modified: 30-10-2011 11:52am by Claud.)
30-10-2011 11:47am
griff

Don't seem to be able to see anything.

Arrived: SD4 Prestige Auto Coupe with Lux pack. Ipanema Sand with Black Panoramic Roof
Ambience Interior with Macassa wood.

Now a Jag XFR Kyanite Blue - wow what power.
At home and superb.
30-10-2011 01:02pm
DynamicRRV

Nor me
30-10-2011 02:13pm
rsk21

I'm not denying that he's influential nor that his reviews don't drive sales but he's still a tool.

In fact scratch that, he behaves like a tool but he is in fact quite the opposite. He's done a marvellous job of creating Brand Clarkson and perpetuating the myth that he's a lone voice fighting the good fight for the motorist/petrolhead in a world full of PC eco-Nazis. Somehow this schtick seems to have endured for a long time now and in the process garnered an army of slavish devotees who fund his super-injunctions Wink

As for the notion that "he knows his cars better than anyone" I would take considerable issue. His two mates on Top Gear for a start consistently demonstrate a greater understanding of, and empathy for, motor vehicles plus additionally I would suggest there are more than a handful of other writers out there who do likewise. His talent isn't for getting under the skin of cars, it's for a certain type of prose, which I admit has the capacity to grab both attention and occasionally headlines. That he has turned this to positive effect for the car that we own/have ordered/aspire to own is no doubt a good thing irrespective of my personal prejudices towards him.
30-10-2011 02:20pm