Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Strange engine noise
hammie2k

Strange engine noise

I have got a bit of a strange noise coming from the engine when under very light load.. Does not happen all the time but I can only describe it as a groaning noise... much louder than the turbo whistle.

I've done less than 1k and like I said I can't get it to happen all the time, when it starts doing it I can cure the issue by accelerating and it goes away?

Anybody else getting this?

PS also seem to have the "Parcel Shelf" sqweek/rattle if anybody can shed some light on that before I call the stealer Smile

5 Door SD4 Dynamic Santorini Black, Lux Pack, Privacy Glass, Heated Steering Wheel, Style 6 Alloys
Collected: 15th March 2012 Very Happy
04-04-2012 04:48pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

RE: Strange engine noise

Parcel shelf - check it is fully located in it's mountings

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 04-04-2012 11:24pm by XFullFatTim.)
04-04-2012 06:01pm
PhilSkill

Yep as Tim says, check parcel shelf is clipped in as mine was left loose on collection and rattling.

As for engine noise cant really tell without a recording, also is yours auto or manual?

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
04-04-2012 11:20pm
hammie2k

(04-04-2012 11:20pm)PhilSkill Wrote:  Yep as Tim says, check parcel shelf is clipped in as mine was left loose on collection and rattling.

As for engine noise cant really tell without a recording, also is yours auto or manual?

It's an Auto, It did it again on the way to work this morning but it was after the engine had warmed up and it normally happens between 1600-1900 rpm.

I'll try get a recording of it but because it's random I might have to go for a drive over the weekend and record away !

5 Door SD4 Dynamic Santorini Black, Lux Pack, Privacy Glass, Heated Steering Wheel, Style 6 Alloys
05-04-2012 08:22am
Firenze

Is yours petrol or diesel?

I have had a noise a few tImes going up a hill at 2000 revs and it goes if i increase or decrease the revs although mine sounds like from the rear and i put it down to a rumble from the exhaust

Firenze Dynamic Si4, Pano roof, Verve, Ebony headliner, Black Strata, Privacy glass, Lux Pack - Enjoying since 7/3/12
06-04-2012 10:54pm
Donny Dog

(05-04-2012 08:22am)hammie2k Wrote:  It's an Auto, It did it again on the way to work this morning but it was after the engine had warmed up and it normally happens between 1600-1900 rpm.

I'll try get a recording of it but because it's random I might have to go for a drive over the weekend and record away !

I find that at around these revs,. and at a steady speed, the auto gearbox often can't make its mind up whether to be in fifth or sixth, and you get an 'uncomfortable' engine note that might be described as a groan. Could this be what you're hearing? (Obviously this particular 'noise' can be got rid of by accelerating and/or changing gear manually).
06-04-2012 11:02pm
hammie2k

It's a diesel... I was starting to think it was the auto box makin the noise. I'll keep am eye on it and if it gets any louder ill take it in for a dealer to fob me off Smile.

I've checked the parcel shelf for that rattle but it's seated right so I'll let the dealer have a look when it has it's service. I'll just turn up the very good stereo to drown it out

07-04-2012 10:13am