Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Stored CDs - Gracenote DB
QueJumper

Stored my first CD today just in case the iPods not in the car.

It didnt come up with the title and track list which I thought odd. It did flash a message 'accessing Gracenote music database' which I assumed would then find the track listing but still blank.

Anyone know anything about how the Gracenote thing works ? Is it in built or is it trying to access online through my phone? Is there a way to force it to refresh?

Now Sold - Small, clean, fun car mainly for me - Sd4 Dynamic Lux - White/Black roof

Still going strong - Big, dirty, fun car mainly for the wife, kids and dog - Disco 4 - Blue (with lots of mud outside, sweets & litter inside)
31-12-2011 07:45pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Evo-king

RE: Stored CDs - Gracenote DB

I asked a similar question some time back but didn't get a real answer, there is an assumption that it gets it's info through the nav system something like it gets the live traffic updates.

Evoque No3: MY15 Dynamic Lux SD4, Auto, Santorini Black, Pimento Dynamic Plus Sports Seats, Ebony headlining, Pan Roof, Shadow Chrome Alloys.
31-12-2011 09:21pm
QueJumper

Hmmm sounds unlikely as I thought the traffic updates were just standard TMC which is a broadcast radio sub channel. The Tom Tom like live traffic updates need a sim with GPRS or 3G. These are sometimes build in as for instance in the Snooper speed camera live update unit on my dash. But not sure LR have built a sim into the Evoque.

I think the BMW live system uses the 3G link in your phone but not sure so will do some digging to see if I can find out.

Now Sold - Small, clean, fun car mainly for me - Sd4 Dynamic Lux - White/Black roof

Still going strong - Big, dirty, fun car mainly for the wife, kids and dog - Disco 4 - Blue (with lots of mud outside, sweets & litter inside)
31-12-2011 09:49pm
lngrn36

I did a search for gracenote and found an entry that ask if your CD is burned? If it is. Does your software include the "redbook" info.

See link to forum

http://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204/2...-home.html

Tim
Evoque Coupe Pure+
SI4 - Auto
Sumatra Black - Ebony/Ebony
Climate package
Satellite Radio
01-01-2012 05:21am
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
QueJumper

It was an original CD. From what I've found so far it appears that the Gracenote DB is loaded onto the HDD at build so if your CD is produced after the date of the database it's not going to be in there!

Next question is to find out if LR produce DB updates.

01-01-2012 11:33am
Wired

Reading this I am thinking it might use your smartphone to connect to the database. If it doesn't I wonder if there is an option to just copy the files to the HD with the track info?
01-01-2012 01:25pm
vision*R

Gracenote in cars is mostly an offline thing. They do have online updating services but there's no indication LR makes use of this.

I think the system is the same as in my Lexus where the HDD stores the Gracenote CDDB database. It's updated with the satnav (the software, not the maps) so every time the car goes in for servicing, they can/should update this software and the CDDB. Lexus owners get an update every three months.

By the way, this local Gracenote db is smaller than the iTunes db for instance (which is also Gracenote) so you might get better accuracy by ripping the cd's in iTunes and playing them in the Evoque via USB.

Prestige TD4 5d / Fuji White / Tech pack / Parallel park / Pano / Order 26/01/2011 / Build 13/12/11 / Arrival 04/01/2012
(This post was last modified: 01-01-2012 01:37pm by vision*R.)
01-01-2012 01:35pm
berlin2011

(01-01-2012 01:35pm)vision*R Wrote:  By the way, this local Gracenote db is smaller than the iTunes db for instance (which is also Gracenote) so you might get better accuracy by ripping the cd's in iTunes and playing them in the Evoque via USB.

You could also burn a CD from iTunes and in the burn options tick "include CD text" - all the titles and artists names etc. show up perfectly when a CD burned this way is stored on the HDD.

Current: SD4 Dynamic Auto, 5 Door, Orkney Grey with Black Contrast Pano roof and 20" Shadow Chrome wheels. Pursuit interior. [countdown="Hand over"]15th June 2013 2:00pm[/countdown]

Gone: Si4 Prestige Auto Coupe, Orkney Grey with Panoramic Roof, Element interior, Shadow Chrome 20" wheels with most of the bits & pieces loaded. [countdown="Hand over"]29th November 2011 2:00pm[/countdown]
01-01-2012 02:19pm
QueJumper

Yep sounds like ripping via iTunes is the easiest option. Thanks.

01-01-2012 08:59pm
IKM

(01-01-2012 02:19pm)berlin2011 Wrote:  You could also burn a CD from iTunes and in the burn options tick "include CD text" - all the titles and artists names etc. show up perfectly when a CD burned this way is stored on the HDD.
Thanks, didn't realise that option was available on iTunes.

Arrived 16 December 2011: Prestige SD4 auto 5dr in OG with Adaptive Dynamics, Adaptive Xenons, Surround Cameras, Auto Dimming Rearview, Grey Oak Wood, Spare Wheel and Powered Tailgate.

Joining 2010 Freelander XS Td4e in Stornoway Grey (we like Grey!)
01-01-2012 10:09pm