Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Split tailgate mod idea for aftermarket companies.
Lone Rangerover

Split tailgate mod idea for aftermarket companies.

What if an aftermarket company was to build a split tailgate that looked like the current one piece oem tailgate when closed but opened like the full size range rover in 2 pieces?

I'm aware of the pull out seating / trunk tray option for the evoque but the tailgate seating like the full size is much more useful and appealing.

What do you all think would you replace your tailgate with a split tailgate if one was oem looking and available ?
14-09-2012 07:05am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

RE: Split tailgate mod idea for aftermarket companies.

I suspect that the additional weight of replacing the current composite one with one strong enough (ie made of steel with hinges motors etc) would have a punishing effect on fuel consumption and CO2 emissions which is why the design team went down the 1 piece tailgate route. Also, having owned 2 FFRR's the drop down tailgate rarely gets used for sitting on (I have only seen it used once in 4 years of owning FFRR's I think) , it is a nuisance when trying to reach things that rolled to the front of the boot as if you haven't dropped it you get road dirt on your clothes and if you do drop it you either have to climb on top of it or have very long arms. I wouldn't want one on an Evoque thanks.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 14-09-2012 09:00am by XFullFatTim.)
14-09-2012 08:58am
Westy

(14-09-2012 08:58am)XFullFatTim Wrote:  I suspect that the additional weight of replacing the current composite one with one strong enough (ie made of steel with hinges motors etc) would have a punishing effect on fuel consumption and CO2 emissions which is why the design team went down the 1 piece tailgate route. Also, having owned 2 FFRR's the drop down tailgate rarely gets used for sitting on (I have only seen it used once in 4 years of owning FFRR's I think) , it is a nuisance when trying to reach things that rolled to the front of the boot as if you haven't dropped it you get road dirt on your clothes and if you do drop it you either have to climb on top of it or have very long arms. I wouldn't want one on an Evoque thanks.

+1 me too, I like the fact that the tailgate is plastic, weight, corrosion and these days strength, plus with a split tailgate (good old iPad spell checker gave plot instead of split) you run the risk of potential rattles as the car gets older.

On a separate thread, spoke with a buddy of mine yesterday who was travelling up near Buckie and was driving through a sleet storm. Roll on snow and winter time.

One of the happy owners, ordered June 2011, delivered Wednesday 8th February 2012, now 97000 miles. Scorpions lasted 78'000 miles.

Pure TD4 5 door, fuji white, ebony interior, Pan roof, Front fogs, spare wheel, privacy glass, towbar and black roofrails.

Cars got to go back to company March 25th 2015 Sad
(This post was last modified: 14-09-2012 09:08am by Westy.)
14-09-2012 09:06am
Lone Rangerover

(14-09-2012 08:58am)XFullFatTim Wrote:  I suspect that the additional weight of replacing the current composite one with one strong enough (ie made of steel with hinges motors etc) would have a punishing effect on fuel consumption and CO2 emissions which is why the design team went down the 1 piece tailgate route. Also, having owned 2 FFRR's the drop down tailgate rarely gets used for sitting on (I have only seen it used once in 4 years of owning FFRR's I think) , it is a nuisance when trying to reach things that rolled to the front of the boot as if you haven't dropped it you get road dirt on your clothes and if you do drop it you either have to climb on top of it or have very long arms. I wouldn't want one on an Evoque thanks.

Interesting thoughts - and I must say you are very right about clothes getting dirty with the split gate.

But I do like the ability to just open a smaller gate where garage heights are lower - without adjusting the trunk sensor or having to move my vehicle forward to to keep the tailgate from hitting the wall behind me when backing in.

Also the split tailgate allows you to carry longer items with the bottom half folded down.

Good points about the dual economy penalty... That might hurt some folks too.
14-09-2012 09:32pm
Firenze

I've often thought they could have done something like what Peugeot have done on the 3008, its a similar sized car and has a nice split tailgate and height adjustable floor.

Firenze Dynamic Si4, Pano roof, Verve, Ebony headliner, Black Strata, Privacy glass, Lux Pack - Enjoying since 7/3/12
21-09-2012 09:32am