Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Something for the weekend and sunny days
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

I dearly love my Defender but it rarely gets the use it was designed for and bought for these days so I'm thinking of buying something that will be fun and suitable for UK weather. I'm not having a midlife crisis, I'm too old for that, so a Porsche or a rag top BMW is off the list ( I dislike both marques anyway and won't be seen dead in either) so was thinking along the lines of a used Elise, VX2200, an MX5 - something small, cheap to run and won't exit stern first through the nearest hedgerow at the first suggestion of dampness on the road. I had my days of hair shirt monster powerful RWD 2 seaters many years ago when I had a very powerful TVR and got the need for a muscle car out of my system with that. I would even consider a hairdressers SLK. Top criteria are FUN and low cost, I don't want to do track days I just want something that I can enjoy hood down on some of the lovely driving roads and be able to cover up quickly when the weather returns to the UK normal. I don't want a soft top Land Rover thanks as the temptation to do silly offload things would be too gtreat and hood down off roading isn't that clever. Suggestions please.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
07-01-2013 12:59pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Filski

Caterham? I'd have one if you could get them in Oz. I like the Elise but it is a bit ostentatious... How much is an atom these days?

Cafe racers are the go here lately... And TDF level carbon push bikes for those with spare cash.
07-01-2013 01:19pm
Craig_d1

RE: Something for the weekend and sunny days

Honda S2000. Engine's meant to be a peach and s/b reliable. Went on a Ferrari day and went round the track with one of their drivers in the Honda, it can certainly drift. Other than than, don't think you can go far wrong with the MX-5 as cheap and cheerful fun motoring
07-01-2013 02:24pm
RacingSnake

I'd have said Caterham, but a similar '7-style' car will give just as much fun cheaper... westfield or tiger.

Ordered: Fuji Dynamic Lux Coupe / style 7 wheels / Privacy glass / adaptive xenons / something else which I've forgotton.
Should be end of April (was March, then April, then end of May/June).
Collected, Friday 13th Shocked April 2012
07-01-2013 02:27pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PhilSkill

Fun and Low cost has to be MX-5 or S2000, Elise may be an option if you can do work yourself, but you'll probably need to!

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
07-01-2013 03:12pm
WB
WB

SLK 320 (or even a 230) or an S2000 are both good options. The SLKs are very good value and if you find a tidy one it will hang on to its value and should cost very little to run.
07-01-2013 03:20pm
Barton Evoque

My Audi TT roadster filled my mid life crisis.
[Image: P7260100.jpg]
[Image: P7250091.jpg]

Evoque My13 TD4 Pure.Orkney Grey with Tech Pack~Spare Wheel~Front Fogs~Privacy Glass~Ebony Interior~Mudflaps~Evoque Footrest~DVD Headrests~Towtrust Towbar.Collected 17th Sept. Very Happy
Also nicely modded Audi TT Roadster.
(This post was last modified: 07-01-2013 09:20pm by Barton Evoque.)
07-01-2013 05:19pm
CSJ

A Mk 2 TT is a great car, have had 3 TTs, all were great fun, solid, and not a single warranty issue. A good one won't be that cheap tho

On order: Volvo XC60 T5 Inscription Pro

Current: Porsche Macan, Pebble Interior, Volcano Grey, Bose, other extras which cost lots and should be standard

Gone:
BMW X6 m diesel with BMW exclusive interior
Evoque Dynamic Orkney, Accolade Dynamic Plus Sports Interior (Ivory)
Evoque. Coupe, Dynamic, Fuji, Pursuit (x2)
Scirocco 2.0 GT DSG, Black, Black Lthr, 19" Luganos
TT Mk 2, Grey, Audi Exclusive Int
SLK Mk 2, Blk, Beige Lthr
TT Mk 1, Blue, Silver Lthr
TT Mk 1, Silver, Grey Lthr
07-01-2013 07:44pm
MarkLondon

I had a Fiat Barchetta, which was fantastic fun to drive and great to look at, but being Fiat, has probably rotted away by now Laughing

Arrived Jan 2013 from Hadley Green Arrow Prestige SD4 Manual, Fuji White, Pan Roof, Cirrus/Lunar, Aluminium, Ivory Headliner, A/D, Privacy, Lux Pack, Xenons etc
(This post was last modified: 07-01-2013 08:40pm by MarkLondon.)
07-01-2013 08:39pm
Nowaytk

What about a MGTF, took one round the top gear test track, a lot of fun

evoque now gone, but not forgotten, on to bigger and better things
07-01-2013 08:50pm