Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Snowed In
mark_n

Snowed In

Here in the Cotswolds, we have had/are having heavy snow and the RRE will not make it up my inclined driveway to the lane above. The lane is like a skating rink and the snow has fallen on frozen icy ground. So try as it might, the car cannot get up there, moves sideways alarmingly and when I decided to come back down, the car slid on all four locked wheels, the HDC couldn't cope.

Thought I'd clear part of the driveway with a snow shovel but it's so slippery underneath, no chance. Not sure winter tyres would have helped, maybe snow chains.

So, I'm snowed-in. fortunately have lots of wine and other essential supplies, so today might be the time I finally upgrade my PC to Windows 7.

Mark

Evoque was great, now in an RRS SVR
18-01-2013 12:05pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ED209

RE: Snowed In

20 inch wheels with summer tyres?

td4 Pure manual in orkney grey, auto wipers/lights, front fogs, spare wheel. carmats4u mats, travall dog guard. Collected 30/03/12.
18-01-2013 12:16pm
mark_n

Err, yes.

Mark

18-01-2013 12:27pm
IKM

Mark, you're right. Winter tyres without studs would make no difference on ice like that on a hill (I know that through experience). Enjoy the wine!

Arrived 16 December 2011: Prestige SD4 auto 5dr in OG with Adaptive Dynamics, Adaptive Xenons, Surround Cameras, Auto Dimming Rearview, Grey Oak Wood, Spare Wheel and Powered Tailgate.

Joining 2010 Freelander XS Td4e in Stornoway Grey (we like Grey!)
18-01-2013 12:30pm
ED209

(18-01-2013 12:27pm)mark_n Wrote:  Err, yes.

not suprised then, mine on 18's is fantastic in the snow/ice. Well it was until it borked yesterday.

td4 Pure manual in orkney grey, auto wipers/lights, front fogs, spare wheel. carmats4u mats, travall dog guard. Collected 30/03/12.
18-01-2013 12:30pm
KaDargo

(18-01-2013 12:05pm)mark_n Wrote:  Here in the Cotswolds, we have had/are having heavy snow and the RRE will not make it up my inclined driveway to the lane above. The lane is like a skating rink and the snow has fallen on frozen icy ground. So try as it might, the car cannot get up there, moves sideways alarmingly and when I decided to come back down, the car slid on all four locked wheels, the HDC couldn't cope.

Thought I'd clear part of the driveway with a snow shovel but it's so slippery underneath, no chance. Not sure winter tyres would have helped, maybe snow chains.

So, I'm snowed-in. fortunately have lots of wine and other essential supplies, so today might be the time I finally upgrade my PC to Windows 7.

Upgrade to Windows 8 - much better (and only £25 at the moment)

SD4 Prestige, Mauritius, Element, Cirrus Headlining, Pana Roof, Park Assist, Heated Steering Wheel,Blind Spot monitor, 20" Alloys, Powered Tailgate
18-01-2013 12:34pm
leveller

Ugh ... we were hoping to have an adventure on Sunday and drive the Oxfordshire country lanes to the Muddy Duck in Hithe for lunch.

I guess that is off the itinerary now Sad

5dr Evoque Dynamic Si4, OG. I love her, mostly.
18-01-2013 01:40pm
Tony

Too far south, too cold?

Sorry chaps, beautiful clear sunny day up here looking out of my study window overlooking Loch Greshornish, thinking of putting the summer tyres back on Ner Ner

Evoque Dynamic SD4 Lux Auto Total Rubbish, worst car I have owned - GONE AT LAST!
18-01-2013 02:07pm
mark_n

(18-01-2013 02:07pm)Tony Wrote:  Too far south, too cold?

Sorry chaps, beautiful clear sunny day up here looking out of my study window overlooking Loch Greshornish, thinking of putting the summer tyres back on Ner Ner

Just you wait, your time will come, laddie!

(18-01-2013 12:34pm)KaDargo Wrote:  Upgrade to Windows 8 - much better (and only £25 at the moment)

Yes, so cheap, I wonder how it's selling. Don't like to the new user interface, but then I am 57...
(18-01-2013 01:40pm)leveller Wrote:  Ugh ... we were hoping to have an adventure on Sunday and drive the Oxfordshire country lanes to the Muddy Duck in Hithe for lunch.

I guess that is off the itinerary now Sad

I thnk you'll be alright, it's not far off the M40. I'd be fine if I could reach the main road but at the moment, I can't even get out of my driveway. I have a snow shovel and one bag of salt, so plan to clear the snow when it stops, spread the salt and cross my fingers. It's so slippery now it's difficult to walk up and especially down the drive.

Mark

(This post was last modified: 18-01-2013 03:24pm by mark_n.)
18-01-2013 03:17pm
Jonathon555

GGS setting seems to work well until all 4 wheels are lost.

My 20" summer tyre have so far done well in the snow for traction & climbing, but steering & stopping has not been fun.

Will be considering some winter tyres for next year

SD4 Arrived, Fuji , 20" style wheels, Privacy glass, Front fogs, Auto wiper and Auto Lights, Black leather

MY Nuburburing & Track Videos http://www.youtube.com/user/jonathon555?...sults_main
18-01-2013 04:09pm