Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Smart Key Not Found
JiiPee

RE: Smart Key Not Found

Happened to me today. Key was in the middle console with my phone. Phone was connected with the car by bluetooth. When I made a phonecall the alarm came on and Stayed on untill i turned the engine off

Enjoying enormously: Pure Td4 Automatic, Firenze Red, almond/espresso interior, panorama roof with rails, Pure tech pack, clearview pack & cold weather pack, parking radars front and back + camera.
08-12-2011 12:04am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Donny Dog

(08-12-2011 12:04am)JiiPee Wrote:  Happened to me today. Key was in the middle console with my phone. Phone was connected with the car by bluetooth. When I made a phonecall the alarm came on and Stayed on untill i turned the engine off

Mine has packed in altogether now, so neither key will lock or unlock the car, nor will it start. The only way to achieve either is to use the emergency key to open the car, and go through the key-under-steering wheel procedure each time. My dealer has been about as much good as a chocolate fireguard, no appointments available to have it looked at, no advice as to how I can safely leave it (as the rather inconvenient method of using the temporary emergency key in the passenger door doesn't set the alarm). Their suggestion? Call out LR Assistance every time I want to start the car and/or unlock it! (And presumably get an AA man who doesn't know any more about it than I do). I wonder what my insurers would say if I told them I was leaving it not properly locked or alarmed?

Research on the internet suggests that this problem has been ongoing for at least two years, and they still haven't found a solution. All I have learned is that there are various separate issues ranging from 'reception holes' in the coverage within the car, problems with back-lit screens on electronic devices, nearness of metal objects (all rectifiable by moving the key), to 'KVM software issues' (which can be re-set but they haven't found a way of stopping it happening again) to 'Transponder Lock-up' (requiring replacement of both keys).

Surprisingly, however, it seems to have gone quiet on here with regard to this issue - has someone somewhere at LR actually now found an answer?
16-06-2012 09:46am
ojonesyo

(29-11-2011 12:40pm)WB Wrote:  Anyone else experiencing the occasional Smart Key Not Found message? Has happened 3 times for me and seems to just go away if I turn off and on again.

I noticed there's a TOPIX bulletin called "SSM51558 - Smart key not found message or smart key lock..."

Can anyone with full TOPIX access please download this?

Thanks!

I occasionally get that message in my Discovery 4, but on each occasion, my phone has been in the same pocket as the fob. Pull fob out of my pocket and away she goes!
16-06-2012 03:28pm
mickydd

This happens fairly regularly to me, I have tried holding the key under the steering column, but still not found.
Don't believe it to be related to low signal or dead spot as if i lock and re-open car with fob quickly, it then finds key fob.
If anyone has any further info, drop me a line.
If not, I will pop in to local dealer and ask them.

Arrived 24th February. Dynamic 5 dr SD4, manual ,Firenze with Verve interior, 20" Sparkle
16-06-2012 06:50pm
isawnewton

Has anyone gotten an official response from LR about this?
16-06-2012 09:46pm
IKM

(16-06-2012 06:50pm)mickydd Wrote:  This happens fairly regularly to me, I have tried holding the key under the steering column, but still not found.
Don't believe it to be related to low signal or dead spot as if i lock and re-open car with fob quickly, it then finds key fob.
I regularly had the same issue as you earlier this year (first 3 mths), when the car was in my garage. So far it hasn't been repeated (but not now parked in my garage). Very odd!

Arrived 16 December 2011: Prestige SD4 auto 5dr in OG with Adaptive Dynamics, Adaptive Xenons, Surround Cameras, Auto Dimming Rearview, Grey Oak Wood, Spare Wheel and Powered Tailgate.

Joining 2010 Freelander XS Td4e in Stornoway Grey (we like Grey!)
16-06-2012 09:53pm
Donny Dog

(16-06-2012 06:50pm)mickydd Wrote:  This happens fairly regularly to me, I have tried holding the key under the steering column, but still not found.

In desperation, I tried removing and replacing the relevant fuses (number 1 and number 17 in the fuse box behind the glove box) which re-set the key recognition and restored normal operation. (More details in the other thread on this subject).

(16-06-2012 09:46pm)isawnewton Wrote:  Has anyone gotten an official response from LR about this?

If you look on the internet, this problem has been going on for at least three years, with LR still not able to produce the software patch they have been proposing to cure it.
(This post was last modified: 16-06-2012 10:06pm by Donny Dog.)
16-06-2012 10:04pm
cjfp

Updated info on Topix

LTB00503 - Smart Key Not Found
https://topix.landrover.jlrext.com/topix...?id=224299

Anyone ?

Pure 3dr SD4 Tech Man ; Firenze Red ; 19" Style 3 ; Pano ; Ebony / Ivory Int ; Auto dim rear view ; 2 seats ; Park Aid - Rear cam ; Ext. folding mirrors ; Adap Xenon ; Fogs ; Mud Flaps ; Side Steps - Rec'd 28/12/11 - Sadly going 6/6/14 - Gone, now running BMW X6
18-11-2012 11:04pm
Donny Dog

I've looked all over for this thread and eventually found it on a Google search!

Anyway, a week or so ago the car wouldn't start with either key, this being only a few minutes after it had been running normally. Nor would the car start with the key placed in the depression under the steering wheel. After a wait of about ten minutes, and trying the key in the emergency-start position [after having retrieved the key, which I let go of only for it to disappeared down the back of the under-dashboard cover! Embarrassed] and trying all the possible combinations of key orientation the car eventually started. What hadn't struck us what that the car was unlocked at this time, and, when we arrived at our destination, it wouldn't lock using either the key-less method or pressing the key-fob button. As a result, we had to lock and leave the car for several days using the emergency key in the deadlock facility in the passenger door (now re-located to the driver's door on later models, I notice).

On our return from a few days away, the car wouldn't start at all. Because it was late at night, we abandoned the effort, and it was then the next day before we could get the emergency key to work. The dealer has since had the car and tells us the problem is the transponder, which they have ordered for delivery next week (and they say they will need the car for a full day to fix it). In the meantime, we have to use the car in emergency mode, never sure whether it will start next time. The dealer claims that this is a 'new' issue!

Is it normal for it to require so many attempts before the emergency key will start the car? How secure is the car if locked using the emergency key in the mechanical lock?
04-10-2014 01:21pm
Donny Dog

Update:

Having found this thread again, and reading my own post about how I cured the problem in June 2012 (can't believe I'd forgotten!), I have tried the same solution and it has worked again. That is, removing and replacing fuses 1 and 17 (in the fuse box behind the glove box). This seems to work on a 'turning it off and turning it back on again' basis. Given that Land Rover had the car for two hours yesterday and failed to cure the problem, even temporarily, it begs the question why they didn't try the same 'turn it off/on' solution themselves. Whether or not it still needs, or would benefit from, a new transponder, at least I've got proper locking and starting back for the time being.
04-10-2014 02:38pm