Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Small scratches on paintwork
Dynamique

Hello - long time stalker but this is my first post.

I'm finding a number of small, but very visible, scratches appearing on my paintwork and wanted to ask the community if this is expected and if their visibility can be minimised.

I have a black Dynamic Si4 which I've had since September and have done 6,000 miles. I've attached some photos of some scratches and this is after washing with AutoGlym shampoo, chamois, AutoGlym wax and then finally AutoGlym Extra Gloss Protection, so te car couldn't have been cleaner!

I'm ultra careful with the car and have no idea where all these marks are coming from but it's also the first time I've had a car from new so don't know if I'm being over-sensitive. Is RR's paintwork considered to be good normally?

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

09-03-2012 07:50pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Donny Dog

RE: Small scratches on paintwork

(09-03-2012 07:50pm)Dynamique Wrote:  Hello - long time stalker but this is my first post.

I'm finding a number of small, but very visible, scratches appearing on my paintwork and wanted to ask the community if this is expected and if their visibility can be minimised.

I have a black Dynamic Si4 which I've had since September and have done 6,000 miles. I've attached some photos of some scratches and this is after washing with AutoGlym shampoo, chamois, AutoGlym wax and then finally AutoGlym Extra Gloss Protection, so te car couldn't have been cleaner!

I'm ultra careful with the car and have no idea where all these marks are coming from but it's also the first time I've had a car from new so don't know if I'm being over-sensitive. Is RR's paintwork considered to be good normally?

The paint would have been softer when it was new - did these marks appear within the first couple of months? How careful are you not to transfer grit or dirt back on to the car from your bucket, that is, do you use a two-bucket method? It may not be your washing system at all, of course, as the scratches actually look more like accidental damage, though, as they are so isolated and quite straight.
09-03-2012 08:06pm
Kimv

They look a lot like scratches I got on my current car just after moving to France. It is horrible here to drive a new car... Parking spots are small and people in general less careful with their cars and the cars of other people.. Anyway, those scratches seem like someone was caressing your car with his belt buckle or some other metallic clothing accessory...

Dynamic SD4 Auto 5dr, Tech Pack, Santorini Black, Verve Interior with Ebony headlining, Panoramic Roof, Privacy Glass, Solar Attenuating Glass, Style 7 Alloys, Adaptive Dynamics.
(This post was last modified: 09-03-2012 08:49pm by Kimv.)
09-03-2012 08:49pm
Dynamique

(09-03-2012 08:49pm)Kimv Wrote:  They look a lot like scratches I got on my current car just after moving to France. It is horrible here to drive a new car... Parking spots are small and people in general less careful with their cars and the cars of other people.. Anyway, those scratches seem like someone was caressing your car with his belt buckle or some other metallic clothing accessory...

I thought that, except some are up on the bonnet.

And the scratches really aren't deep - I can barely feel them with my finger. Is there anything I can do to repair them? T-cut??

And I'm clearly wrong thinking that keeping my car waxed will minimise the possibility of marks...
09-03-2012 09:07pm
jojosr

Well, here comes the question about wasching and taking care about the new car. Is it better to make hard waxing on new car, or how to prevent such a scratches...

Ordered: 2.3.2012:
RRE Prestige SD4 AT, Barolo Black, Spirit/Macassar/Ivory/Espresso Oxford Leather Interiour, Black Pano roof, Privacy Glass, AUX Heating, Heated seats and Wheel, Tech pack.
Delivered: 19.9.2012
[Image: 151832.png]
09-03-2012 09:11pm
cutter7

(09-03-2012 07:50pm)Dynamique Wrote:  Hello - long time stalker but this is my first post.

Are you using a jet wash!

If so, it could be the grit or dirt on the exterior/hose touching your body work as you circle the car.. i have just noticed slight score marks on the edges of the bonnet and roof edges, due to the hose making contact with the paint surface.

I now make sure that the hose does not make contact with the paint work.. Shocked

09-03-2012 09:44pm
doug

Are you using a sponge to wash you car ? As said, try two buckets with grit guard. Using the second bucket to rinse out the WASH MIT. Start at the roof, working down. Do the bottom trim/bumpers last. Wash the wheels with different water & MIT.

The products you are using are good & should not give you any problems.
To check the scratch, run your finger nail over the scratch. If it moves over the mark without catching, you should be able to remove the mark.
Get your self a form hand polisher to rub out the marks with a compound (T cut) if you have some. If not try Meguiar's Ultmate compound, this is great for polishing out marks by hand & you can find it in halfords.

[Image: mini-graphics-vehicles-244162.gif] ABOVE AND BEYOND
RRE sold after 5 happy years. Jag F-Pace owner now
(This post was last modified: 09-03-2012 11:31pm by doug.)
09-03-2012 10:03pm
cjfp

For those of us that don't speak Suffolk, does 'bracket' = 'bucket' Laughing

Pure 3dr SD4 Tech Man ; Firenze Red ; 19" Style 3 ; Pano ; Ebony / Ivory Int ; Auto dim rear view ; 2 seats ; Park Aid - Rear cam ; Ext. folding mirrors ; Adap Xenon ; Fogs ; Mud Flaps ; Side Steps - Rec'd 28/12/11 - Sadly going 6/6/14 - Gone, now running BMW X6
(This post was last modified: 09-03-2012 10:05pm by cjfp.)
09-03-2012 10:05pm
3V0QU3

My wifes mini had similar scratches and i got them out just by a good polish and then waxing, completely gone. I was told once to always jet wash before using a sponge or anything else to knock off any bits of grit that may otherwise get picked up and scratch the paintwork. Seems to work.
Good luck

Orkney Grey 5 Door Prestige Lux + AD + Black Roof Lining + Heated Steering Wheel
Arrived 27/03/12
Very Happy
09-03-2012 10:10pm
doug

(09-03-2012 10:05pm)cjfp Wrote:  For those of us that don't speak Suffolk, does 'bracket' = 'bucket' Laughing

Sorry, was writing & cooking dinner at the same timeWink

Have now corrected my post sir. Very Happy

[Image: mini-graphics-vehicles-244162.gif] ABOVE AND BEYOND
RRE sold after 5 happy years. Jag F-Pace owner now
(This post was last modified: 09-03-2012 10:35pm by doug.)
09-03-2012 10:28pm