Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Small scratches on paintwork
IKM

RE: Small scratches on paintwork

Hi, what part of the car is shown in 2nd attachment? Thanks

Arrived 16 December 2011: Prestige SD4 auto 5dr in OG with Adaptive Dynamics, Adaptive Xenons, Surround Cameras, Auto Dimming Rearview, Grey Oak Wood, Spare Wheel and Powered Tailgate.

Joining 2010 Freelander XS Td4e in Stornoway Grey (we like Grey!)
09-03-2012 10:30pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
doug

(09-03-2012 10:10pm)3V0QU3 Wrote:  My wifes mini had similar scratches and i got them out just by a good polish and then waxing, completely gone. I was told once to always jet wash before using a sponge or anything else to knock off any bits of grit that may otherwise get picked up and scratch the paintwork. Seems to work.
Good luck

A lot of polishing products sold in high street shops have filler in them, this only masks the scratch. After a few washs it could come back again.

[Image: mini-graphics-vehicles-244162.gif] ABOVE AND BEYOND
RRE sold after 5 happy years. Jag F-Pace owner now
09-03-2012 10:32pm
3V0QU3

Small scratches on paintwork

Thanks doug, will keep an eye out for this. Used autoglym hd wax, pretty expensive, so hope it lasts a while.

Orkney Grey 5 Door Prestige Lux + AD + Black Roof Lining + Heated Steering Wheel
Arrived 27/03/12
Very Happy
09-03-2012 10:49pm
doug

(09-03-2012 10:49pm)3V0QU3 Wrote:  Thanks doug, will keep an eye out for this. Used autoglym hd wax, pretty expensive, so hope it lasts a while.

If washed with a low PH shampoo, nun of this wash n wax stuff. your HD wax (two coats added to paint work) should last you for 3-5 months.
I have never used it myself, but I hear very good reports about it.

09-03-2012 11:40pm
Dynamique

(09-03-2012 10:30pm)IKM Wrote:  Hi, what part of the car is shown in 2nd attachment? Thanks

That's the bonnet. The 1st photo is just above the nearside rear wheel. But they are all over (but mostly on the bonnet and front wheel arches).

(09-03-2012 10:03pm)doug Wrote:  Are you using a sponge to wash you car ? As said, try two buckets with grit guard. Using the second bucket to rinse out the WASH MIT. Start at the roof, working down. Do the bottom trim/bumpers last. Wash the wheels with different water & MIT.

The products you are using are good & should not give you any problems.
To check the scratch, run your finger nail over the scratch. If it moves over the mark without catching, you should be able to remove the mark.
Get your self a form hand polisher to rub out the marks with a compound (T cut) if you have some. If not try Meguiar's Ultmate compound, this is great for polishing out marks by hand & you can find it in halfords.

I don't use two buckets, but I do jet wash all the dirt off first and I always start at the top and only go down as far as the 'skirt' of the car. Only when everything's done to I then to the skirt, underside and wheels.

So how does T-cut work? If the scratch is lighter than my black paintwork, isn't that cos the scratch goes through the paint to the lighter basecoat? Not that the scratch feels deep at all.
10-03-2012 03:42pm
doug

But are you using a sponge? This will hold any grit on it's surface, which will mark the paint work over time.
T-cut or any rubbing compound works by removing a very fine layer of paint or clear coat to the depth of the scratch. That's why if it's too deep a scratch polishing is not a option, a vist to a body shop or one of these companies that vist you can just apply paint over the scratched area which is a lot cheaper than a full panel spray job.
If your saying you can see the White base coat under the scratch, paint is the only way around this problem.
For a short term fix, coloured wax would mask the scratch or Idea a black crayon.. But after a few washes will just come back again.
Black is one of these colours that looks great when clean, but will show up the smallest of marks that a lighter colour car wouldn't show.

10-03-2012 04:00pm
Evo-king

Dynamique,

I'm with Doug on this one. I've owned several black cars and these show these type of scratches all too often.

My son introduced me to the two bucket method, and have used this on my currect Obsidian Black Merc from purchase and has not shown any of these marks.

Never use a sponge, always use a good quality wash mitt instead.

Black cars are hard work and high maintenance.

Evoque No3: MY15 Dynamic Lux SD4, Auto, Santorini Black, Pimento Dynamic Plus Sports Seats, Ebony headlining, Pan Roof, Shadow Chrome Alloys.
10-03-2012 06:44pm
WB
WB

Also use a plush microfiber towel to dry rather than a leather chamois. If a chamois is not in perfect condition and perfectly folded it can form ridges which can scratch.
11-03-2012 12:19am
Bjorntje_be

Do you have a cat around?
could be she cuddles up the car at night, leaving small scratches of her nails everywhere...

ED4 5dr Pure Fuji white with tech pack/fog lights/privacy glass/tow bar ; order 24/02 / expected summer 2012 / delivered 18 sept 2012
12-03-2012 11:37pm
Donny Dog

(12-03-2012 11:37pm)Bjorntje_be Wrote:  Do you have a cat around?
could be she cuddles up the car at night, leaving small scratches of her nails everywhere...

Never had a cat, but I thought that they withdrew their claws (unlike dogs)?
12-03-2012 11:45pm