Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Saw Something Strange Today
PhilSkill

RE: Saw Something Strange Today

If (when) all cars have these incredibly piercing LED DRLs on I think driving could be less pleasant overall, some including the Evoques are horribly bright when being followed. I dont disagree with DRLs but why not make the similar to, or just make them the side lights

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
22-04-2012 11:24pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Have you noticed that the cars that tend to have the uncomfortably bright DRLs are those that generally have them in the position of front fog lights? So are they illegally using front fogs as DRL's. I'm thinking here if Skoda, Mercedes and Porsches mainly where the DRL's are very low down. I don't find Audi's DRLs uncomfortable and they are in the headlights mostly. One group of road users who have been dead against DRL's has been the motorbiking guys, many of who seem to drive on full beam in the day time.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 23-04-2012 08:47am by XFullFatTim.)
23-04-2012 08:42am
PhilSkill

I guess for bikers they will think familiarity breeds contempt! and before a bikers headlight stood out as unusual so you'd see him, now it'll be just another light such that a tired driver might take it for granted and pull out infront of it.

Not sure which lights were bothering me most (other than ours!) although thought it may be the Audi's. Didnt notice any today, rain and shine!

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
23-04-2012 11:25pm
Mudi1

The Audi lights shape make the car look like it is permanently frowning! Like it has the hump being driven. It this a weird thing to think?
23-04-2012 11:47pm
speary

(23-04-2012 11:47pm)Mudi1 Wrote:  The Audi lights shape make the car look like it is permanently frowning! Like it has the hump being driven. It this a weird thing to think?

Yes Very Happy
The pre facelift A5 has nice smiley LED's

Pure Coupe SD4 Manual; Fuji White; 19" style 5 wheels; Addaptive Xenons; Auto Lights, Wipers and Rear Mirror; Folding mirrors with cool puddle lights. Magnoflow Exhaust finishers
24-04-2012 08:27am
Starflyer

Why would anyone care if the DRL's are on? It's a proven fact that they cut down on head-on collisions. They also probably catch inattentive strollers eyes as well, maybe preventing a dent in your bonnet!

AND you can't see them from inside the car ANYWAY. So, what's the BFD? You secretly looking for a head-on deal? March to a different drummer. You think you're "styling" without the DRL's on? Or are you on a secret mission like tailing your girlfriend and you're afraid she might spot your DRL's behind her?
(This post was last modified: 24-04-2012 09:39pm by Starflyer.)
24-04-2012 06:53pm
smayo

Personally, I'm seeing more and more cars on the roads with DRL's (obviously), and I don't find them dazzling me.
In fact I get more distracted because I'm looking to see what they look like i.e. the styling. Probably because I'm comparing them to the RRE, and thinking "the RRE's look better".

I think that once I get over this obsession, I probably won't notice them too much at all.

Ordered 17/2/12 Dynamic SD4 Auto 5dr, Mauritius Blue, Pan roof, 20" style 6 (gloss black), Vortex, Ebony Headlining, Ent Pack, Heated St. Wheel, Homelink, Pr Glass, Auto Dim r.view mirror, spare wheel
24-04-2012 08:21pm
Starflyer

While I'm a big fan of DRLs, I can't say I like the styling of them on my Evoque. TOO busy for lack of a better description. I prefer the running light styles from MB, Audi and VW. My VW Eos has simple small round DRLs.

That said, I'm fine with them as I think we need all the help we can get out there on the roads with all the aggressive drivers vying for their share and more of the roadways.
24-04-2012 09:59pm
PhilSkill

(24-04-2012 06:53pm)Starflyer Wrote:  Why would anyone care if the DRL's are on? It's a proven fact that they cut down on head-on collisions. They also probably catch inattentive strollers eyes as well, maybe preventing a dent in your bonnet!

AND you can't see them from inside the car ANYWAY. So, what's the BFD? You secretly looking for a head-on deal? March to a different drummer. You think you're "styling" without the DRL's on? Or are you on a secret mission like tailing your girlfriend and you're afraid she might spot your DRL's behind her?

I'm guessing you dont agree with me then!

24-04-2012 11:52pm
Starflyer

(24-04-2012 11:52pm)PhilSkill Wrote:  I'm guessing you dont agree with me then!

Not really. While not trying to throw stones, I've noticed in my brief driving in the UK and in Europe, the locals like to come up from behind as fast as they can, flashing their brights to let the "easy cruiser" know they're about to be passed by a guy in a HURRY.

Everyone praises "flame thrower headlights" that are blinding from the front and rear and then complains about DLRs. I personally think DLRs are overdone in today's market. I would prefer a simpler small round white light.

In marketing, it all comes down to who has the biggest "set". And I might add I've never seen one report of an accident cause by DLRs that were too bright.
25-04-2012 02:54am