Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Front windscreen wiper tip
Stadt Panzer

Saw the post about turning on the winter park feature, to save the wipers. After a few days of ice and snow I've also figured out another good reason to use this feature whilst the car is on the move. On my disco 4 the wipers used to freeze up in the cold ie. driving in snow would freeze part if not all of the wiper blade, making it near on impossible to get a clear view.

Anyway had the same problem a couple of days ago, turned on the winter park function and directed the heat to the wind screen, with the wipers higher up they benefit from the heat and no longer freeze up.

Well done LR if it was your that was part of the idea, if not, well you got lucky as its a damn good feature.

Somewhere in the North Sea.
(This post was last modified: 08-12-2012 07:15pm by Stadt Panzer.)
08-12-2012 07:12pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

RE: Front windscreen wiper tip

Also you can switch on the heated front screen to keep the blades soft and in the parked position rather than the winter position. Heated screen is also brilliant in snowing and freezing fog conditions to stop the glass freezing and stop the rubbers freezing up. I have yet to figure out how to stop driving snow from settling on the headlamp glasses though as the glass gets very little heat from the Xenon's, not enough to melt snow. Operating the screen washer isn't what you want fatten in these conditions, just to wash lamp lenses means only every 5th windscreen wash too.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 09-12-2012 02:55pm by XFullFatTim.)
09-12-2012 02:52pm
Stadt Panzer

Tim, found that heated windscreen doesn't put enough heat out to defreeze the wipers and the normal park position is too low, plus it turns its self off after a time.
With 8 inches of new snow this morning, I can only talk from my experience.

Not sure how to get around the headlight problem!!

Somewhere in the North Sea.
(This post was last modified: 09-12-2012 04:10pm by Stadt Panzer.)
09-12-2012 04:09pm
PhilSkill

The amount of energy required to melt snow is huge, all the heated windscreen can do is melt the immediate layer on the screen so it's easy to shift with a brush. For the headlights gTechniq G5 (polish with G4 first) will give the best chance of the headlights staying clean, briliant stuff.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
09-12-2012 06:29pm
jdiamond

(09-12-2012 02:52pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  Also you can switch on the heated front screen to keep the blades soft and in the parked position rather than the winter position. Heated screen is also brilliant in snowing and freezing fog conditions to stop the glass freezing and stop the rubbers freezing up. I have yet to figure out how to stop driving snow from settling on the headlamp glasses though as the glass gets very little heat from the Xenon's, not enough to melt snow. Operating the screen washer isn't what you want fatten in these conditions, just to wash lamp lenses means only every 5th windscreen wash too.

I have heard about "park position" a couple of times but cannot select it anywhere on any menu- not a surprise since it is not a very friendly user interface- I am using winter position as it is going to get cold over the next few days. Where can I find "park position"?

Fuji White Evoque SD4 Dynamic Coupe Automatic, Black Interior, Panoramic Roof, Auto Dimming Mirrors, Adaptive Headlights, All Round Cameras, Meridian 825w Surround System and......spare wheel

Ordered: 25th November 2012
Delivered: 12th January 2013
12-01-2013 10:46pm
cjfp

They're the same thing ( though iirc, there is also a service position - details in manual)

Pure 3dr SD4 Tech Man ; Firenze Red ; 19" Style 3 ; Pano ; Ebony / Ivory Int ; Auto dim rear view ; 2 seats ; Park Aid - Rear cam ; Ext. folding mirrors ; Adap Xenon ; Fogs ; Mud Flaps ; Side Steps - Rec'd 28/12/11 - Sadly going 6/6/14 - Gone, now running BMW X6
13-01-2013 12:15am