Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Road Trips
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Road Trips

Something to take your mind off all the gloom doom and despondency of the main themes of the forum at present, delays to delivery, shoddy dealer treatment, etc etc...........

Do you have a favourite road that you just like to get into your car (whichever car it is - Geewhizz through to Bugatti) and go and drive just for the driving pleasure? A road trip maybe or just a section of road where you like to go to blow the cobwebs away and have a blast, to go for a drive just for the sake of driving or to go to enjoy stunning views and good roads.

Care to share them with the forum incase other members are passing through your area and fancy doing them? If you can, can you post a link to them on Google maps?
One of my favourites on a sunny autumn or spring day is on the A82 and A83 from Alexandria at the south end of Loch Lomond following the west side of the loch to Tarbert then going over the hills on some superb roads via the famous hill climb the Rest and Be Thankful to Inverarary. Only a 50 mile drive but on a nice day guaranteed to put a smile on your face, so long as the bikers aren't out enjoying the run too! If you fancy adding a circuit into the route then turn off the A82 and take the Glen Fruin Road, a recently build road made especially to take construction traffic off the main roads when the MOD were upgrading the Clyde Submarine Base. The road was supposed to be closed and ripped up when construction was finished but public demand was such that it was adopted by the local council and must be one of the best 10 mile sections of road in the UK - built wide enough to be 3 lanes wide for only 2 lanes of traffic.
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?saddr=Ston...s&t=h&z=10

BTW it's only 50 miles but it will take you 60-90 minutes to drive unless you are on a motorbike!

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 09-10-2011 11:10am by XFullFatTim.)
09-10-2011 10:44am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bogstomper

RE: Road Trips

Good thought XFFT! One of my favourite drives ever was from Torlundy (just north of Fort William), then along the A86 (goes along Loch Laggan and past Ardverikie (which many may know as Glenbogle from the Monarch of the Glen TV show)), then along the A889 to Dalwhinnie (a cracking malt btw) before rejoining the A9. About 40 miles - http://g.co/maps/9ey2h Stunning scenery the whole way.
09-10-2011 12:56pm
XFullFatTim

Yes I know that one well, but there is a side route off that one that is a cracking drive - just before Laggan where you turn right at the T junction toward Dalwhinnie there is a farm lane on the left, follow that down to the River Spey where there is a Land Rover friendly ford across the river............. take the ford, turn left after it and join the single track road out to Glen Shebro Lodge which was also used in filming the Monarch of the Glen, then follow the road to the hump back Garve bridge. If you are feeling brave cross the bridge and carry on to Melgarve Bothy (General Wade's bothy) and then take the Corrie Yarrick Pass over to Fort Augustus.......... this is the highest drivable pass in the UK but unfortunately you cannot get quite to Fort Augustus because one of the landowners has put tank traps across the right of way..................... it also isn't suitable for Evoques or Freelander's but a Jimny would manage it fine, or Shanks' Pony! I've driven it twice - once in an L322 FFRR and once in my Defender. 17 miles over the hills on a quite technical drive even for 4x4's

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 09-10-2011 01:10pm by XFullFatTim.)
09-10-2011 01:08pm
defender_uk

mine is the hardknot pass in the lakes....greta for working a new gearbox!! just idyllic scenery and real please to drive.

Defender_uk

Evoque Prestige Lux, OG, maual, style 4 wheels

comes to live with Defender 90 TDCi 07
09-10-2011 04:24pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
doug

M25 on a Friday afternoon
Loads of time to get my paperwork done Wink

[Image: mini-graphics-vehicles-244162.gif] ABOVE AND BEYOND
RRE sold after 5 happy years. Jag F-Pace owner now
(This post was last modified: 09-10-2011 04:38pm by doug.)
09-10-2011 04:36pm
XFullFatTim

That's the road trip to Hell isn't it?

09-10-2011 04:48pm
defender_uk

certainly is on a fri aft/ evenoing!!

Defender_uk

Evoque Prestige Lux, OG, maual, style 4 wheels

comes to live with Defender 90 TDCi 07
09-10-2011 06:06pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ED209

Hartside pass run is excellent, The evoque is probably not the best vehicle to do it in though.
09-10-2011 06:19pm
PhilSkill

Just taken a lovely drive over the Preselli Hills and acroos down the Gwilli Valley in Pembrokeshire.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=from:+ha...0&t=m&z=10

Sadly not in my Evoque...

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
(This post was last modified: 10-10-2011 06:38pm by PhilSkill.)
10-10-2011 06:27pm
3VOQU3

Was planning a 2800mile road trip just after getting the car.. up to Broome and Coral bay.. (i think about 2500kms is without going through a single set of traffic lights..)

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?saddr=Per...=1&t=m&z=5

but with the build pushed back due to xenon debarcle might not make it now Sad

Cable beach is 22km long and used be able to drive on it.. (see pic) Not sure if you can anymore.. (damn hippies)

Anyway, Expect pics of the Evoque up early next year

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

(This post was last modified: 11-10-2011 12:43am by 3VOQU3.)
11-10-2011 12:40am