Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Retrofitting of aftermarket towbar
ED209

RE: Retrofitting of aftermarket towbar

That cut is massive compared to the one on my pure with the witter towbar i got fitted (cost £245 all in) however it does need to be done, the fitter of mine didnt initially do a cut and this caused problems with the bar putting pressure on the bumper and causing a creaking noise/ knocking it out of alignment slighlty. Bar was tsken off and a tiny neat cut made to the bumper, problem solved.

td4 Pure manual in orkney grey, auto wipers/lights, front fogs, spare wheel. carmats4u mats, travall dog guard. Collected 30/03/12.
24-07-2012 09:27am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PapaRod

(24-07-2012 09:27am)ED209 Wrote:  That cut is massive compared to the one on my pure with the witter towbar i got fitted (cost £245 all in) however it does need to be done, the fitter of mine didnt initially do a cut and this caused problems with the bar putting pressure on the bumper and causing a creaking noise/ knocking it out of alignment slighlty. Bar was tsken off and a tiny neat cut made to the bumper, problem solved.

My bad. As I haven't seen pics of the cuts you guys made I guess it's hard to comment on. What I prioritized was to avoid the visible "receiver-box" that comes with the horizontals and that was achieved, whilst the cut needed (which wasn't supposed to be there..Mad.) was kept out of sight...

I guess the cut could have been kept even smaller - should the mechanic have done it on his own car...Wink

Anyway, I'm sure the Witters are great solutions, just thought I'd through in a vertical option to it...each to their own as it comes to making a decision of which to opt for I guess....

Pure SD, Fuji, TechPack 1, Clearview, Auto, Privacy, Park assist - now with a towbar...Very Happy
24-07-2012 08:15pm
WorldTraveler

(24-07-2012 09:27am)ED209 Wrote:  That cut is massive compared to the one on my pure with the witter towbar i got fitted (cost £245 all in) however it does need to be done, the fitter of mine didnt initially do a cut and this caused problems with the bar putting pressure on the bumper and causing a creaking noise/ knocking it out of alignment slighlty. Bar was tsken off and a tiny neat cut made to the bumper, problem solved.

Ed,

Can you post where you got the towbar and where it was fitted, need to get one for mine too ...

Delivered 31st March 2012
Pure, 5 Door, TD4, Manual, Firenze Red, Tech Pack, Front Fogs, Xenon, Pano Roof

Track Consumption Using The Site Below
[Image: 117709.png]
25-07-2012 02:26pm
ED209

(25-07-2012 02:26pm)WorldTraveler Wrote:  Ed,

Can you post where you got the towbar and where it was fitted, need to get one for mine too ...

I used hedleys at durham to fit mine it was £245 including the electrics. Mine is a non removable type and i am sure a removable one would be a liitle bit more but still a hell of a lot cheaper than LR. Hedleys are family business with an excellent rep. If you email them here i am sure they will quote you for what you want when i had an issue with mine rubbing against the bumper i took it back and they sorted it out no problem at all.

http://www.hedley-towbars.co.uk/

Sales@Hedley-towbars.co.uk is the email

td4 Pure manual in orkney grey, auto wipers/lights, front fogs, spare wheel. carmats4u mats, travall dog guard. Collected 30/03/12.
(This post was last modified: 25-07-2012 05:14pm by ED209.)
25-07-2012 05:12pm
Vern

PapaRod

Thanks for posting the photos of the Westfalia bar. I have been looking to get one of these fitted and my local LR dealer has just agreed to do it. Although when I bought the car they insisted they could only fit LR units.

I have a Dynamic so the cut should not be detectable given the Black lower bumper plastics.

What is neat though and has been pushing me to this bar is the lost electrics that disappear neatly up into the bumper on a hinged plate. Havn't seen anything like this on any other bars.

I am letting my dealer fit the genuine LR electrics so that there can be no come back on warranty etc. Also they insist that the LR electrics are required and to be fitted correctly to ensure all of the towing aids are enabled and work correctly. I am happy.

Great photos. Thanks for taking the time and effort of posting them.

One question though, does anybody know if Westfalia do a Flanged style detachable tow bar rather than the traditional swan neck, as Witter do?

2014 Dynamic 5dr SD4, 9 speed Auto, Indus Silver, Pano roof, Power Tailgate, Heated Stearing Wheel (brilliant ) Spare Wheel, Etc.
Traded in my 2012 model similar spec on great deal, It's that goodWink
(This post was last modified: 26-07-2012 08:27pm by Vern.)
26-07-2012 08:22pm
stiggy

Ed 209
Thanks for tip about headleys, I get up to County Durham quite bit so will give them a bell. Just so I don't make a complete arse of myself are you saying a removable bar can be fitted as neatly but just costs more. Also on the electrics if they do it do all the towing aids etc work and the warranty remains intact or do I need to get the dealer to do the electrics. By the way they charge over £800 for a removable bar robbing gits.

5 door Dynamic SD4, Orkney Grey, 20" shadow alloys, contast and pano roof, tints and 40 plus grand lighter!
26-07-2012 10:24pm
ED209

(26-07-2012 10:24pm)stiggy Wrote:  Ed 209
Thanks for tip about headleys, I get up to County Durham quite bit so will give them a bell. Just so I don't make a complete arse of myself are you saying a removable bar can be fitted as neatly but just costs more. Also on the electrics if they do it do all the towing aids etc work and the warranty remains intact or do I need to get the dealer to do the electrics. By the way they charge over £800 for a removable bar robbing gits.

Not sure about towing aids working as i have no intention of towing with my car, the tow bar is for a bike rack only. As far as I am aware everything works though, when the electrics are wired up the trailer icon appears on the dash, it also flashes to show indicators are working etc. I didnt really explore a removable bar with them as i wanted to keep the cost to a minimum. The rear parking sensors also work fine with the bar fitted and switch off once the electrics are connected.

I would give them a call if i was you, they were nothing but helpful with me. Towbars is their main business (they also do trailers) so i am sure they can advise. There a couple of miles outside Durham city centre.

27-07-2012 07:34am
DaveR

PapaRod

+1 for posting the pics, This is the tow bar i am considering for mine, (unless someone knows of an even more discreet one).
(This post was last modified: 29-07-2012 10:27pm by DaveR.)
27-07-2012 07:18pm
PapaRod

(26-07-2012 08:22pm)Vern Wrote:  PapaRod

Thanks for posting the photos of the Westfalia bar. I have been looking to get one of these fitted and my local LR dealer has just agreed to do it. Although when I bought the car they insisted they could only fit LR units.

I have a Dynamic so the cut should not be detectable given the Black lowerve bumper plastics.

What is neat though and has been pushing me to this bar is the lost electrics that disappear neatly up into the bumper on a hinged plate. Havn't seen anything like this on any other bars.

I am letting my dealer fit the genuine LR electrics so that there can be no come back on warranty etc. Also they insist that the LR electrics are required and to be fitted correctly to ensure all of the towing aids are enabled and work correctly.

Great photos. Thanks for taking the time and effort

One question though, does anybody know if Westfalia do a Flanged style detachable tow bar rather than the traditional swan neck, as Witter do?

Thanks. Very happy with the bar and the fact that I was able avoid any visible parts/cuts.

The electric kit I used is the RRE specific one provided by Thule.

I did not run into any flanged style by westfalia, but needless to say that doesn't mean that there is not one available...

(27-07-2012 07:18pm)DaveR Wrote:  PapaRod

+1 for posting the pics, This is the tow bar i am considering for mine, unless someone (knows of an even more discreet one).

Pretty sure the bar couldn't be more discreet, and quite sure also that the minor cut could be even smaller if the mechanic can be persuaded to minimize it....but unless you are an DIY I guess it would take some management wrt to the shop you hire for the job...

Pure SD, Fuji, TechPack 1, Clearview, Auto, Privacy, Park assist - now with a towbar...Very Happy
(This post was last modified: 28-07-2012 10:55pm by PapaRod.)
28-07-2012 10:52pm
Stadt Panzer

Retrofitting of aftermarket towbar

Any chance of getting/finding one where you don't need to cut the bumper/fender? Don't fancy cutting mine at all!

Somewhere in the North Sea.
26-08-2012 09:24am