Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Retrofitting of aftermarket towbar
PapaRod

Retrofitting of aftermarket towbar

Perhaps the question has been popped before - but does anyone know what brand LR are using for their tow bars?

Thinking of having a Thule bar fitted post delivery - i.e. not by dealer as they want to charge me a rough 1300 Sterlings over here in Sweden...don't actually know whether to burst out in a laugh or just break down and cry...Idea

Pure SD, Fuji, TechPack 1, Clearview, Auto, Privacy, Park assist - now with a towbar...Very Happy
05-03-2012 11:29pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

RE: Retrofitting of aftermarket towbar

Dealer fitted LR branded tow bars are usually made by Westfalia

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
06-03-2012 09:41am
PapaRod

Ok, thanks.

Checked with Thule and they confirm that their models 547600 and 547700 fits on the Evoque. The latter
one - detachable - priced at SEK 5200 which would be about £350 I reckon.

I'll check Westfalia as well when time comes.Shocked

(06-03-2012 09:41am)XFullFatTim Wrote:  Dealer fitted LR branded tow bars are usually made by Westfalia

Pure SD, Fuji, TechPack 1, Clearview, Auto, Privacy, Park assist - now with a towbar...Very Happy
06-03-2012 05:19pm
BFGEvoqueMan

Range Rover bar is made by Thule and will result in a massive bumper cut. There are many threads on this forum about the subect already. Least cut is a witter bar; see photos under my post about how to fit a towbar which is marked as an important thread under the Modifications part of the forum.

5 Dr SD4 Dynamic Plus (220PS!)
- Santorini Black with Indus Silver Roof
- Plus Pack (Agility Pimento/Ebony Oxford Leather)
- 20" Style 7 Alloy Wheels, Adaptive Bi-Xenon's with high beam assist, Aero Flip Spolier
- Keyless Entry, Privacy Glass, Auto dipping Interior Mirror, 825W stereo
08-03-2012 11:32am
PapaRod

(08-03-2012 11:32am)BFGEvoqueMan Wrote:  Range Rover bar is made by Thule and will result in a massive bumper cut. There are many threads on this forum about the subect already. Least cut is a witter bar; see photos under my post about how to fit a towbar which is marked as an important thread under the Modifications part of the forum.

Thx

09-03-2012 11:21pm
PapaRod

Anyone tried the Westphalia 23.4563 towbar? Seems to be vertical fit, but yet the instruction looks like there's cutting required when it comes to the bumper?

Can't believe that the towbar causes all this hazzle....Shocked

(This post was last modified: 03-06-2012 08:35pm by PapaRod.)
03-06-2012 08:33pm
DaveR

I have been looking at tow bars, as per the post above, anyone have the westfalia vertical mount?
If you do could you post some pics please?

http://westfalia-automotive.co.uk/land-r..._2204.html
(This post was last modified: 17-06-2012 11:23pm by DaveR.)
17-06-2012 11:21pm
rhysadams

You'd think in this day of age, they would have thought of a solution so that you didn't need to cut the rear panels!

Arrived!!!: Range Rover Evoque SD4 Auto Dynamic Lux plus Privacy Glass and Premium Mats. Firenze Red, Black Roof and Style 6 Alloys, Dealer painted Black! DELIVERED: 14th September 2012 by Farnells Bradford.
17-06-2012 11:43pm
PapaRod

(17-06-2012 11:43pm)rhysadams Wrote:  You'd think in this day of age, they would have thought of a solution so that you didn't need to cut the rear panels!

Yep....Confused

I've got confirmation that the Westfalia bar fits the car. A bit unclear about the electrics though, still trying to get it confirmed.

Instructions also say that cut-out is invisible on the bumber. Now whether that means there is no cut, or just that is hidden I cannot tell, but maybe we'll get a pic soon...

19-06-2012 05:58pm
PapaRod

RE: Retrofitting of aftermarket towbar (now fitted)

Dunno if it is of any interest, but thought I'd post a few pics of my Westfalia vertical that was mounted earlier today. Manual said no cut was needed - not entirely true as they had to carve some at the bottom end, but as far as I'm concerned it is not detected, unless you know to look after it. A minor cut compared to the horizontals we've seen earlier.

Electrics are the Thule RRE fitted ones.

Work done by LR in Finland and I'm very pleased with the result. In total it cost me SEK 7500, which is a bargain compared to the SEK 18500 offered by the dealer I bought the car by...Can't say I understand the LR options policy, but I guess that is the way it is...Shocked

[Image: d1f9de35.jpg]
[Image: 27ce2d7e.jpg]
[Image: feaa7b23.jpg]
[Image: 6b682650.jpg]
Here's a shot with the camera placed straight under my bumper...I can see they didn't spend their time detailing the cut, so I might have some finishing at my hands, but luckily I'll have to crawl under the car in order to be bothered....Sad

Yet, I must admit I am somewhat disturbed by the idea that the bumper no longer look the way it was originally intended to, so perhaps it'll need to be fintuned to the best it can look with the bar mounted..Rolling Eyes

[Image: 95d7ecd9.jpg][/align]

(This post was last modified: 23-07-2012 09:34pm by PapaRod.)
23-07-2012 08:55pm