Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Retro Fitting Front Fog Lights - Pure/Dynamic
BobM

Retro Fitting Front Fog Lights - Pure/Dynamic

I will start by saying dont try this on your own unless you have a resonably good mechanical knowledge and a set of smallish Torx bits - oh and patience and thin arms and a large vocabulary of swear words (I only have the last attribute).
I was one of those who, in the mad rush to order my car, didnt notice the car didnt come with - then didnt have time to add - front fog lights.
The car arrived and the silver plastic fog light shaped inserts were not doing anything for me or IMHO the front 'look'of the car. I managed to get a set of fog lights off Ebay and was happy once againVery Happy
Boy was I in for a shock. I will take this opportunity to apologise for not having any photos of the job as it progressed but if I had to do that as well I probably wouldnt be able to write this as there is apparently very little movement in a straightjacket.
I decided to do this the easy way (Oh really!!) and not completely remove the front bumper. I really only wanted the fog lights for 'show' and didnt intend to ever wire them up. On my Pure (Think Dynamic is the same) start by pulling firmly on the black semi circular arch trim. It will pop off and can be easily refitted. There is one of those push in type plastic fixings which holds the arch liner to the front wing (the wings on our really expensive cars are plastic by the way !). Both sides are the same. The arch liner can be teased out from behind the wing and is flexible enough to get a thin arm (or a fat arm - if you can stand the pain and the after-look which resembled a serious self-harm effort) into the gap, pop out the upper and lower black plastic trim pieces and unscrew the 3 Torx screws (size 25 I think).
You will find that if you start on the nearside there is nothing much in the space and the plastic insert can be removed reasonably easily. The fog light can be manipulated through the same gap as your arm and is fiddly but can be screwed in with a bit of patience.
The offside is a whole other ball game. Fixings/arch trim are the same but the windscreen washer reservoir takes up most of the area behind the fog-light. Had to release the single fixing holding the reservoir to the chassis and the support on the bonnet slam panel but still had to hacksaw off the lower fixing on the silver trim panel before I could get it out. I then took the green screw fixers off the bumper and transferred them onto the fog light which can with a bit of gentle forcing, lots of swear words for lubrication and patience (you wont have any left by this time) will eventually go back in and the screws were re-attached from the outside rather than the inside.
Took about 2 hours - looks great - but I filled the swear jar and both forearms looked like Id had a serious go at self harm.

Pure, SD4, Auto, 5 door, Firenze Red, Ebony/Ebony, privacy, rear camera, front sensors, fog lights, spare wheel, auto lights and wipers - Delivered 14.3.15 Very Happy

Gone but not forgotten - Old rattly 1.3.12 - 31.5.13 - Pure, SD4, manual, 5 door, Fuji, 19" style 4, ebony/ebony, spare wheel, privacy.
15-03-2012 10:04pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
tash

RE: Retro Fitting Front Fog Lights - Pure/Dynamic

Thankfully had time to add after I missed them also, sounds like a good £250 well spent as didn't appreciate the difficulty to retro fit

Ed4 pure 5 door, Fuji, pan roof, tech pack, privacy, fog lights, style 6 wheels, ebony interior, delivery 22nd March
15-03-2012 11:12pm
Donny Dog

(15-03-2012 10:04pm)BobM Wrote:  I will start by saying dont try this on your own unless you have a resonably good mechanical knowledge and a set of smallish Torx bits - oh and patience and thin arms and a large vocabulary of swear words (I only have the last attribute).
I was one of those who, in the mad rush to order my car, didnt notice the car didnt come with - then didnt have time to add - front fog lights.
The car arrived and the silver plastic fog light shaped inserts were not doing anything for me or IMHO the front 'look'of the car. I managed to get a set of fog lights off Ebay and was happy once againVery Happy
Boy was I in for a shock. I will take this opportunity to apologise for not having any photos of the job as it progressed but if I had to do that as well I probably wouldnt be able to write this as there is apparently very little movement in a straightjacket.
I decided to do this the easy way (Oh really!!) and not completely remove the front bumper. I really only wanted the fog lights for 'show' and didnt intend to ever wire them up. On my Pure (Think Dynamic is the same) start by pulling firmly on the black semi circular arch trim. It will pop off and can be easily refitted. There is one of those push in type plastic fixings which holds the arch liner to the front wing (the wings on our really expensive cars are plastic by the way !). Both sides are the same. The arch liner can be teased out from behind the wing and is flexible enough to get a thin arm (or a fat arm - if you can stand the pain and the after-look which resembled a serious self-harm effort) into the gap, pop out the upper and lower black plastic trim pieces and unscrew the 3 Torx screws (size 25 I think).
You will find that if you start on the nearside there is nothing much in the space and the plastic insert can be removed reasonably easily. The fog light can be manipulated through the same gap as your arm and is fiddly but can be screwed in with a bit of patience.
The offside is a whole other ball game. Fixings/arch trim are the same but the windscreen washer reservoir takes up most of the area behind the fog-light. Had to release the single fixing holding the reservoir to the chassis and the support on the bonnet slam panel but still had to hacksaw off the lower fixing on the silver trim panel before I could get it out. I then took the green screw fixers off the bumper and transferred them onto the fog light which can with a bit of gentle forcing, lots of swear words for lubrication and patience (you wont have any left by this time) will eventually go back in and the screws were re-attached from the outside rather than the inside.
Took about 2 hours - looks great - but I filled the swear jar and both forearms looked like Id had a serious go at self harm.

Laughing Loved this story. Funnily enough, if you replaced 'fog lights' with 'mud flaps' (in the story, not literally!) I could have written it myself - even the self-harm bit! Anyone thinking of fitting their own mud flaps without the ability to remove the wheels (which I haven't got, having unwittingly purchased the car without a spare wheel/jack/wheel-brace) I would think again. The so-called 'instructions' suggest 20 minutes a set - swap 'minutes' to 'hours' and it's about right!Crying

At least I have discovered what's behind the flimsy felt rear wheel arch liners - nothing! They aren't liners, in fact, they, and some fresh air, is all there is!Shocked
15-03-2012 11:20pm
IKM

Full of admiration. Great narrative and well done!

Arrived 16 December 2011: Prestige SD4 auto 5dr in OG with Adaptive Dynamics, Adaptive Xenons, Surround Cameras, Auto Dimming Rearview, Grey Oak Wood, Spare Wheel and Powered Tailgate.

Joining 2010 Freelander XS Td4e in Stornoway Grey (we like Grey!)
15-03-2012 11:38pm
Westy

The scars of modern plastics!! I too fitted the mudlaps and had the red blotchy skin for a couple of days after wrestling with the sharp plastics

Now you have installed them and IMO the lights break up the look of the front of the car.

I have had many company cars over 20 years, newer cars fitted with fog lights and have never had one where they were just for show, even in fog they did not make much difference.

You will not be disappointed if you go the next step and wire them up, they are amazing, they give a lovely wide spread of brilliant white light and light up the grass verges brilliantly, I use them driving at night on lanes or single track roads when no one is coming the other way, and I am really glad I added them to the options list.

When your skin has healed you will not be disappointed. You should be able to get some simple wiring and relays.

Best of luckSmile

One of the happy owners, ordered June 2011, delivered Wednesday 8th February 2012, now 97000 miles. Scorpions lasted 78'000 miles.

Pure TD4 5 door, fuji white, ebony interior, Pan roof, Front fogs, spare wheel, privacy glass, towbar and black roofrails.

Cars got to go back to company March 25th 2015 Sad
16-03-2012 10:37am
TatikBruno

(15-03-2012 10:04pm)BobM Wrote:  I will start by saying dont try this on your own unless you have a resonably good mechanical knowledge and a set of smallish Torx bits - oh and patience and thin arms and a large vocabulary of swear words (I only have the last attribute).

Hi BobM,

Thanks to share your experience, i also want to get the front fogs, did you buy from ebay the supplier Kar-Solutions UK?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Land-Rover-Ran..._500wt_689

Thanks,
24-03-2012 10:11am
BobM

(24-03-2012 10:11am)TatikBruno Wrote:  Hi BobM,

Thanks to share your experience, i also want to get the front fogs, did you buy from ebay the supplier Kar-Solutions UK?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Land-Rover-Ran..._500wt_689

Thanks,

Search for seller - rover81range - on Ebay. He usually has a good few parts for sale and has listed about half a dozen sets of front fogs since September 2011.

Pure, SD4, Auto, 5 door, Firenze Red, Ebony/Ebony, privacy, rear camera, front sensors, fog lights, spare wheel, auto lights and wipers - Delivered 14.3.15 Very Happy

Gone but not forgotten - Old rattly 1.3.12 - 31.5.13 - Pure, SD4, manual, 5 door, Fuji, 19" style 4, ebony/ebony, spare wheel, privacy.
27-03-2012 11:27am
Silver

Hi Just to say that I have also carried out this mod - and thanks for the instructions.

My only diversion was on the offside where the lower screw is just almost impossible to get at, becasue of the washer bottle. Looking at my options I decided that as I was replacing the grey covers, I didnt really need them - so I drilled the front and cut a large section out with a jigsaw, always being careful not to get too enthusiastic ! This provided much easier access to the diffcult bolt, which was then removed quickly. Retro fitting was a doddle, but do take Bobm's advice and reverse the green fixing to the foglight and then just screw in from the front Very Happy

Again I would re-iterate that more than a few swear words were uttered Laughing but having done it once, if youre patient then its a fairly easy way to upgrade the car. Mine ofc dont work, but they look great ! I purchased some slightly damaged ones from Ebay - the plugs were broken but easily fixed and sealed with a glue gun - cost me £70 Very Happy
(This post was last modified: 13-07-2012 12:23am by Silver.)
13-07-2012 12:21am
ED209

(15-03-2012 11:12pm)tash Wrote:  Thankfully had time to add after I missed them also, sounds like a good £250 well spent as didn't appreciate the difficulty to retro fit

£250? You was robbed!

td4 Pure manual in orkney grey, auto wipers/lights, front fogs, spare wheel. carmats4u mats, travall dog guard. Collected 30/03/12.
13-07-2012 09:41am
smallkid

bobm..... so you just need get the fog light to fit it... no need for any additional parts?
15-08-2012 04:31am