Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Internet Explorer 8
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Internet Explorer 8

I'm an Apple person now and have forgotten most of my Microsoft knowledge....... so I need some help here with my sister's laptop that has all but seized up when accessing the internet on IE8. It starts downloading a webpage and then the progress bar just slows right down at about 1/3 and then stops. I see in the updates the system tried to download Service Pack 2 but failed with an error code. Have tried to down load the service pack over the web but it just isn't happening. I wondered if her MacAfee security might be blocking access but have no idea how to get into it. Apparrently the slow/ non-existent internet access started about a week ago. I've used my Mac to search for problems with Service Pack 2 downloads and it appears there have been a few.................. Now I am not familiar with Vista (which is the OS she is using) so can anybody help? Can I download SP2 to a DvD-R on my Mac and then apply it it on the laptop?

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 03-11-2012 05:49pm by XFullFatTim.)
03-11-2012 05:47pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Evo-king

RE: Internet Explorer 8

Tim, if you don't get any joy, I'll show this to my lad, however he is working from home until 8pm, so he's locked away in the study.

Evoque No3: MY15 Dynamic Lux SD4, Auto, Santorini Black, Pimento Dynamic Plus Sports Seats, Ebony headlining, Pan Roof, Shadow Chrome Alloys.
03-11-2012 06:36pm
XFullFatTim

No probs Evo. I did a search on a well known search engine using my Mac and there were 1,000,000 hits, I slao tried with the error code and that produced as many hits. Reading through the posts it appears that Microsoft have messed up again. Soooooooooo glad I've made the move to a Mac!

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
03-11-2012 10:07pm
Evo-king

I'm with you Tim, "Once you've had a Mac, you won't go back" Mac rules.

Evoque No3: MY15 Dynamic Lux SD4, Auto, Santorini Black, Pimento Dynamic Plus Sports Seats, Ebony headlining, Pan Roof, Shadow Chrome Alloys.
04-11-2012 12:56pm
Martin
Site Admin & Owner

Run Internet Explorer in "No addons" mode and see if it's better:

Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Internet Explorer (No Add-ons)
05-11-2012 01:35am
XFullFatTim

Thanks Martin. Done that now. What I have found is that she has an out of date MacAfee and when I click on the links to Macafee off we go direct to their website but I cannot get into any other website so her AV programme appears to be blocking access to any website except MacAfee's....................
Next, her broadband is provided by Sky, and the MacAfee says it is provided by Sky so I am not sure if I delete Macafee if she will loose her Sky as well......
Have now uninstalled McAfee and installed AVG Grispoft and we are running much better!

(This post was last modified: 05-11-2012 12:00pm by XFullFatTim.)
05-11-2012 11:22am
Martin
Site Admin & Owner

Hi Tim,

Did you get any further with this?
14-11-2012 11:41am
XFullFatTim

Yes Martin, she did what I told her not to do and took it to PC World........................ not quite sure what they did but it involved adding more memory. She seems to be happier with it now, but really wants to replace the machine with an Apple Macbook Pro. I think she will have to dream on as even reconditioned they are not cheap!

14-11-2012 12:01pm
Easty

Re: RE: Internet Explorer 8

(14-11-2012 12:01pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  Yes Martin, she did what I told her not to do and took it to PC World........................ not quite sure what they did but it involved adding more memory. She seems to be happier with it now, but really wants to replace the machine with an Apple Macbook Pro. I think she will have to dream on as even reconditioned they are not cheap!

Maybe running firefox or chrome?

Sent from my ST17a using Tapatalk 2
14-11-2012 05:52pm