Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Replacement Evoque ramblings
Straydox

Replacement Evoque ramblings

Finally got the go-ahead today to initiate an order for a replacement Evoque - as despite around 8 weeks in the dealership the combined efforts of the dealer (Guy Salmon who have been excellent) and LR's own techs the wretched thing still rattles like a bucket of spanners. I've since driven several Evoques that are perfect so mine is an unfortunate exception.

The replacement vehicle has to be a LR/Jag product though in a perfect world I'd ditch the brand and return to Audi (well built/bleeding edge technology but ultimately a bit dull) . Well maybe not the Audi SQ5 - a Biturbo 3.0 diesel - 0-60 in 5.1 secs would be quite funny and base vehicle is high spec Evoque money too.

So I've been spec'ing up Evoques - I see the Auto's Co2 rating has dropped a little from 174 to 169 (when did I miss that?) and having gotten used to an average 37mpg (has got worse as the miles piled on - I'm around 14,000 now) out of an SD4 manual I'm thinking that's not far off what many folks get out of the Auto maybe I'll consider it again.

Having a second chance really makes one reflect on the options that were chosen the 1st time around:

825w Meridian - probably the best audio system I've ever had in any car in the last 30 years - no brainer.
Spare wheel/auto dimming interior mirror - both must haves.
Pano roof - despite the rave reviews it really only benefits passengers ast it doesn't extend far enough forward, 95% of the time I'm on my own so almost no point, not going to have it again.
Surround Cameras - when I test drove an Evoque back in Oct 11 I was rather intimidated by the apparent width so spec'd the cameras. In reality the Evoques driving position makes judging the width easily - and when the cameras would be most useful i.e. parking then the reverse camera takes priority which renders them just about useless, the front ones don't like stones and break easily and being over £200 each to replace - I won't be making that mistake again.

I kind of wished I'd ordered the electric tailgate 1st time around...so will have that.

As it's a company lease car and therefore tax is a consideration I have asked for quotes on a SD4 Pure with both Style and Tech packs Xenons/reverse camera/mats/elec tail gate/825w Meridian/spare wheel/int mirror.

and an SD4 Prestige with Elec tail gate/825w Meridian/spare wheel/int mirror.

In theory the SD4 Prestige should be cheaper to lease than a loaded Pure because the list of options will have almost no residual value. The Pure will have a lower tax bill because the capital cost is lower...

Should know tomorrow......

Delivered 15th May 2012, rejected and returned 4th Feb 2013 - SD4 5 door Prestige manual with a bucket full of rattles Mauritius Blue. Crazy Audi MY2020 RSQ3
24-01-2013 07:12pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PhilSkill

RE: Replacement Evoque ramblings

Glad progress has been made Straydox even if it means a new car, I assume Mauritus blue again?

Only thing, I think I would still spec the pano roof although you don't notice it when driving it does make the cabin lighter and you may hate the ding ding noise of rain on the Ally roof, definite on the Electric Tailgate. How about the Auto Dipping Headlamps, I think I'd like them.

Interesting on the surround cameras, I thought they'd be limited use, so didn't spec, have wondered if that's the wrong decision, but sounds like my first gut feel was right.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
24-01-2013 09:10pm
Straydox

(24-01-2013 09:10pm)PhilSkill Wrote:  Glad progress has been made Straydox even if it means a new car, I assume Mauritus blue again?

Only thing, I think I would still spec the pano roof although you don't notice it when driving it does make the cabin lighter and you may hate the ding ding noise of rain on the Ally roof, definite on the Electric Tailgate. How about the Auto Dipping Headlamps, I think I'd like them.

Interesting on the surround cameras, I thought they'd be limited use, so didn't spec, have wondered if that's the wrong decision, but sounds like my first gut feel was right.

Thanks Philskill - After being indecisive the 1st time around over interior colour having originally ordered Cirrus and switching to Vibe (black) over dye transfer concerns, and then adding the Pano roof to the order (concerns about having a tomb like interior with a black headliner were unfounded). Living with an RR Sport loaner for 5 weeks with a light coloured interior and no issues - I'm going for something lighter this time. If RR did the Evoque with a sliding roof then I'd have one, no question.

Mauritius/Cirrus is definitely an option, as is Firenze which is another colour that looks waay better in real life - I saw an Aintree Green/Almond car in the dealership the last time I was in and that looked really nice too, even a bit grubby - seems to be a classic LR colour too and lastly there is Orkney Grey which also looks good.

I'd be happy with any - kind of want this one to be as different as the last as I can - Adaptive lights appeal, not because of the articulated xenon lamps but because of the side illumination they have when you have the indicators on at night - that's genuinely useful.

Well at least this time around I haven't got months to agonise - there was talk of a March delivery and maybe changing the spec of a car already on order for stock...

Surround cameras - you made the right decision, absolutely.

Delivered 15th May 2012, rejected and returned 4th Feb 2013 - SD4 5 door Prestige manual with a bucket full of rattles Mauritius Blue. Crazy Audi MY2020 RSQ3
(This post was last modified: 24-01-2013 09:54pm by Straydox.)
24-01-2013 09:52pm
PhilSkill

Part of the fun making those decisions, enjoy! It sounds like the waiting times are tumbling now...

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
24-01-2013 11:30pm
scrannel

(24-01-2013 11:30pm)PhilSkill Wrote:  Part of the fun making those decisions, enjoy! It sounds like the waiting times are tumbling now...

When I went shopping I really just shopped dealer inventory knowing my local guy could make a dealer trade with nearly anyone. My "must have" list narrowed it down from a nation of cars to a single vehicle in Northern California, making it easy. It's an Ork Grey Dynamic and came with the pano roof; surround cameras; Meridian Sound... well, it came with everything except Satellite Radio (which I do not use) and did not come with cyborg parking (which looked like a fun option). It's got the Lunar/Ivory interior.

Agree, pano roof really lightens up the interior. Surround cameras? Well, if I'm attacked by a herd of furious ferrets I'll be able to keep track of them. Otherwise? Auto tail gate? Well, the cool thing about it is you can adjust it for height in case your garage is low. Oh yes, because it was a Dynamic the one absolutely had to have option was the MagneRide suspension. Had it on a C6 and it's fantastic.

2013 Dynamic USA specs with MagneRide + Strata wood int. with Lunar perf. Ork Grey.
BMW K1200R. Black.
25-01-2013 03:23pm
WB
WB

(25-01-2013 03:23pm)scrannel Wrote:  When I went shopping I really just shopped dealer inventory knowing my local guy could make a dealer trade with nearly anyone. My "must have" list narrowed it down from a nation of cars to a single vehicle in Northern California, making it easy. It's an Ork Grey Dynamic and came with the pano roof; surround cameras; Meridian Sound... well, it came with everything except Satellite Radio (which I do not use) and did not come with cyborg parking (which looked like a fun option). It's got the Lunar/Ivory interior.

Agree, pano roof really lightens up the interior. Surround cameras? Well, if I'm attacked by a herd of furious ferrets I'll be able to keep track of them. Otherwise? Auto tail gate? Well, the cool thing about it is you can adjust it for height in case your garage is low. Oh yes, because it was a Dynamic the one absolutely had to have option was the MagneRide suspension. Had it on a C6 and it's fantastic.

I think that may be the first one on here with the Dynamic Lunar/Ivory interior - can't wait to see the pics. Coupe or 5 door?
25-01-2013 04:34pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

If I were ordering now I would ditch the auto-park (have never used it in 18 months of ownership), surround cams (apart from the useful trailer assist that comes with it), the blind spot monitoring (it's too easily confused by hedgerows where I live) and the drug dealer glass. The options I couldn't live without are the Plus seats (they are just so comfortable), the powered tailgate and the heated steering wheel! I would also tick the aeroflip spoiler box next time round. I would even have another Fuji instead of a metallic paint unless LR introduces Causeway Grey or Nara Bronze to the Evoque range and I would love a tan interior

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
26-01-2013 05:02pm
Straydox

Well the current Evoque is being collected for return to LR next Monday now and I'm mulling over replacement vehicle leasing quotes now. A year ago when order lead-times were 5 or 6 months the monthly costs were much lower than they are now - a combination of price rises and weakening residuals I guess....

28-01-2013 07:20pm
Craig_d1

So what have you gone for in the end?
30-01-2013 06:57pm