Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Reducing tyre noise by replacing worn tyres
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

No no, I haven't worn out anything yet Laughing

What I would suggest is that if anyone is getting close to replacing OEM 20" Continental tyres then I would recommend looking at the Michelin Latitude equivalent fitted to the latest Dynamics coming down the line as OEM.
The reduction in road noise in my new car over the Continental shod Coupe is very marked, the tyre noise in the new car is significantly less than in the Continental shod car. I also noticed this 2 years ago when I fitted 19" Pirelli Scorpions for the winter - even passengers commented how much quieter the car was when it was riding on the Pirellis.

Something else - I wonder if somebody with a pre-2013 SD4 could look at the engine bulkhead of their car and tell me if they have any sound deadening "carpet" across the bulkhead - I don't recall my last car having this feature, IIRC it had a fully body coloured engine bay!

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 02-04-2014 09:56am by XFullFatTim.)
02-04-2014 09:52am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
KaDargo

RE: Reducing tyre noise by replacing worn tyres

(02-04-2014 09:52am)XFullFatTim Wrote:  No no, I haven't worn out anything yet Laughing

What I would suggest is that if anyone is getting close to replacing OEM 20" Continental tyres then I would recommend looking at the Michelin Latitude equivalent fitted to the latest Dynamics coming down the line as OEM.
The reduction in road noise in my new car over the Continental shod Coupe is very marked, the tyre noise in the new car is significantly less than in the Continental shod car. I also noticed this 2 years ago when I fitted 19" Pirelli Scorpions for the winter - even passengers commented how much quieter the car was when it was riding on the Pirellis.

Something else - I wonder if somebody with a pre-2013 SD4 could look at the engine bulkhead of their car and tell me if they have any sound deadening "carpet" across the bulkhead - I don't recall my last car having this feature, IIRC it had a fully body coloured engine bay!

Tim - I have the Michelins and didn't think them that quiet - I am contemplating replacing with Pirelli Scorpions next time as they now come in 20", although it may be a while as I have over half tread left on all 4 and done 22,000!

SD4 Prestige, Mauritius, Element, Cirrus Headlining, Pana Roof, Park Assist, Heated Steering Wheel,Blind Spot monitor, 20" Alloys, Powered Tailgate
02-04-2014 11:56am
XFullFatTim

Oh dear maybe have to run on my winter tyres to compare the two sets then!

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
02-04-2014 01:01pm
MarkA_

Be sure to check the new eu tyre labels for noise information.

Now: MY14 Dynamic Mauritius Blue/Contrast Pano, IP, BP, PIP, Powered Tailgate, IncontrolR+S, etc.
History: '08 BMW 123d MSport Coupe, '01 Mini Cooper, '91 BMW 316i, '96 Mitsubishi FTO, '96 Mazda 323, '88 Holden Camira
02-04-2014 06:16pm
Evo-king

Tim.

"Something else - I wonder if somebody with a pre-2013 SD4 could look at the engine bulkhead of their car and tell me if they have any sound deadening "carpet" across the bulkhead - I don't recall my last car having this feature, IIRC it had a fully body coloured engine bay!"

Just looked at mine Mar 12 build. It has black matting there.

Evoque No3: MY15 Dynamic Lux SD4, Auto, Santorini Black, Pimento Dynamic Plus Sports Seats, Ebony headlining, Pan Roof, Shadow Chrome Alloys.
(This post was last modified: 02-04-2014 08:36pm by Evo-king.)
02-04-2014 08:36pm
XFullFatTim

Cheers Evo, that's one theory shot down then!

02-04-2014 08:54pm
m_101

I have to say when I drove a pure on 19inch verdes rather than my 20 contis it was a bit quieter and I thought wet grip was better, which is why I'm switching over as my tyres wear out.

5 door MY12 Fuji Dynamic Plus with shadow chromes, santorini contrast roof, power tailgate and a couple of added rattles!
Mods - Black RR bonnet vents, Side steps, Silicone rear wiper, rear sill protector, rear sill plates, LED interior lighting conversion, 2014 Sat Nav update.
02-04-2014 11:24pm
MarkA_

(02-04-2014 11:24pm)m_101 Wrote:  I have to say when I drove a pure on 19inch verdes rather than my 20 contis it was a bit quieter and I thought wet grip was better, which is why I'm switching over as my tyres wear out.
From what I understand the Michelin Latitude Sport now fitted to the 20's as OEM are superior to the contis they used to use in every way - grip wet&dry, noise and ride harshness are all better.

I certainly have no complains so far, but then I am coming from a car with sports suspension and 35 profile RFTs Wink

[Edit: Yes I know my profile picture is out of date I need to fix it once I get a picture taken! Smile]

Now: MY14 Dynamic Mauritius Blue/Contrast Pano, IP, BP, PIP, Powered Tailgate, IncontrolR+S, etc.
History: '08 BMW 123d MSport Coupe, '01 Mini Cooper, '91 BMW 316i, '96 Mitsubishi FTO, '96 Mazda 323, '88 Holden Camira
(This post was last modified: 03-04-2014 08:19am by MarkA_.)
03-04-2014 08:19am
XFullFatTim

I haven't tried them on streaming wet roads yet, but so far am very impressed with the Michelins - one test will only be passed when I have racked up >30,000 miles though - tyre longevity! I was impressed with the very low wear rate on the Conti's on my last Evoque - at 23000 miles they showed hardly any weardown, or rather what wear there was was very even across the tyres, no shoulder wear which is what happened on my 1st RRS, thread bare in 12000 miles on the inside shoulders of the fronts, described by Land Rover as "a characteristic of the vehicle" in 2006! The real cause was that they kept shedding balance weights as they came off the productionline!

(This post was last modified: 03-04-2014 09:12am by XFullFatTim.)
03-04-2014 09:11am
Tony

A couple of weeks ago I changed back to my 'summer' 20" Michelins, I have a set of Pirelli Verde All Season M&S on 19" for the winter.

There is a little less noise from the Michelins, minimal extra harshness but the steering is far better, much more direct on the Michelins. I also noticed a marked improvement in fuel consumption on reverting to the Michelins.

My Evoque is Jan 2012 car and the Michelins are marked 'Summer Use' hence my second set of tyres/wheels. Are the 20" Michelins on the 2014 MY a different grade i.e. 'All Year Use".

Evoque Dynamic SD4 Lux Auto Total Rubbish, worst car I have owned - GONE AT LAST!
03-04-2014 10:35am