Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Rear Bumper inserts
HeartbreakRidge

RE: Rear Bumper inserts

(21-04-2014 09:25am)Bryan m Wrote:  I reversed onto a topiary peacock yesterday and driving off it pulled off the trims ....unfortunately the design appears to mean that although all the panels are fine the clips holding them on are all broken

I can confirm this. Crying I "found" a very short (maybe three bricks high) lawn "feature" that was tall enough to pull the driver's side trim off (immediately above the driver's side exhaust tip) and the adjacent faux skid plate partly off (also breaking most of the clips on the bottom of the skid plate and a couple on the side piece). It was not tall enough for the rear parking sensors to start pinging, so that's something to be aware of for all owners. It happened at night, so the camera was not as useful in low/no light as it might have been. The right trim is designed to come off to expose the tow point, and it is better secured with plastic screws.

Will be driving by the local dealer for them to take a look and order the right parts later today. Fortunately they are wholly plastic, so no electronics/body work/paint is involved.

MY2014 Pure Plus, Firenze Red, Lunar/Cirrus interior, Climate Care & Vision Assist packages
Built: March 10, 2014 / Delivery Date (three weeks early!): March 26, 2014
28-04-2014 05:53pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
HeartbreakRidge

Oh, you guys are going to love this.

The right hand trim (which covers the tow point) and the faux skid plate are available as separate parts for about $45 each plus tax, but the *LEFT* trim does not exist as a separate part and is available only as part of the WHOLE bumper assembly, to the tune of $800+. Shocked

The parts guy was going to call Land Rover Technical in the morning and see if they can get just the part I need.
Needless to say, I'm not happy about the prospect of having to turn into insurance a claim rather than just pay out of pocket for one bit of trim plastic. (two in total).

If I don't get a good word tomorrow, I may have a go at LR myself because this is kind of ridiculous if it holds up.

MY2014 Pure Plus, Firenze Red, Lunar/Cirrus interior, Climate Care & Vision Assist packages
(This post was last modified: 28-04-2014 10:07pm by HeartbreakRidge.)
28-04-2014 10:07pm
PhilSkill

If only the clips are broken and the panels undamaged would it be possible to glue the panels back in place?

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
29-04-2014 08:52am
HeartbreakRidge

(29-04-2014 08:52am)PhilSkill Wrote:  If only the clips are broken and the panels undamaged would it be possible to glue the panels back in place?

Maybe? Since it's still in warranty and just plain early in my intended use of the RRE, I will probably turn it over
to insurance if I have to. Had this happened a few years down the road, I might have given that a try.

29-04-2014 01:45pm
m_101

This is interesting since after someone bashed the back of mine there are multiple scratches all over the back bumper trims. I had wondered if the diffuser bit and the trims were available separately but it does look like the whole lot are going to need replaced. The back of the car was pristine before the crash so I want it back that way, especially because it was the other guy's fault since I was sitting stationary at a roundabout at the time.

5 door MY12 Fuji Dynamic Plus with shadow chromes, santorini contrast roof, power tailgate and a couple of added rattles!
Mods - Black RR bonnet vents, Side steps, Silicone rear wiper, rear sill protector, rear sill plates, LED interior lighting conversion, 2014 Sat Nav update.
05-05-2014 11:01pm
pacemaker1000

I took mine apart to paint them. Yes they are heat welded on and it is possible with care to remove and refit. However the simplest way to reattach them, as I did with the front bulbar, is with an adhesive called tigerseal.

I went to a lot of effort to remove the rear bumper to get at the rear of the heat welds but if I did it again I would just snap off the original heat welded clips and glue the finished painted bits back on. Sounds vicious but as you have found the original fit isn't that great anyway as they become detached easily.
Actually disappointed with this cheap form of build quality, not seen on German cars, which allow for easy disassemble AND reassemble of parts
(This post was last modified: 05-05-2014 11:38pm by pacemaker1000.)
05-05-2014 11:33pm
Bryan m

The centre bit isn't available as a stand alone spare part in the UK so a whole new bumper is needed - I have 2 choices

- Claim on the lease company insurance and get it fixed properly for free to me (but will count as a claim if I ever leave company car land)

- Find an Ebay bumper which isn't junk and try and swap over myself but the colour bits of the bumper are plastic welded on so need a Santorini black one - not sure I am up for the hassle.

I have learnt 2 things
- Dan from Duckworths is incredibly helpful
- The build quality and method these Evoques are designed/constructed is very poor - the Japanese/Germans are light years ahead in lean production techniques - it must cost LR a fortune to assemble the car and its pants when they have done it
06-05-2014 11:52am
pacemaker1000

Agree assembly is crap

I spoke to a guy who just deals with bumpers who says the colour side bits ARE interchangeable so you could use your existing ones

Why not use the opportunity to upgrade and repair and paint the bull bar and diffuser?
I am assuming here you don't have a Dynamic

http://www.evoqueownersclub.co.uk/forum/...9.html?KW=
(This post was last modified: 06-05-2014 12:50pm by pacemaker1000.)
06-05-2014 12:49pm
Bryan m

I don't have a Dynamic but it is a company car so they will expect it back in the same state they gave it to me - which rather rules out any mods
07-05-2014 12:09am