Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 4.5 Average
Real world mpg
jvz567

RE: Real world mpg

Been reading the forum since 2011 as have to gather info re possibly purchase of Evoque for my wife. My daily driver though is 2011 F25 X3 2.0 D 8-speed ZF Auto - currently 12 000km/7500 miles with total diesel consumption of 7.45l/100km or 38mpg; 50% highway and 50% town-/city driving. There is a nice free app for iPhone called "Fuel Log 3" - accommodates more than 1 vehicle and as accurate as pen and paper.
02-02-2012 08:53am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
J77

Achieved 50.4mpg today but really had to drive like a grannie, by the time I stopped to take a picture it went down to 48.9mpg.

18MY Range Rover Velar R-Dynamic SE D240
02-02-2012 01:37pm
Xvoyag

This article of interest highlights Honda's inability to achieve the advertised MPG, and the results of a lawsuit.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/...l-claims/1
02-02-2012 01:47pm
RacingSnake

(02-02-2012 01:47pm)Xvoyag Wrote:  This article of interest highlights Honda's inability to achieve the advertised MPG, and the results of a lawsuit.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/...l-claims/1
This is a little sad actually.
it reinforces the compensation culture which is now becoming the norm.
why the court case did not end with this:
"A Honda technical expert who testified at an earlier hearing said the company was required by federal law to post the sticker estimating the highest mileage the car could get. But he said the mileage varied on how the car was driven. The company said Peters was not deceived."
Also why the owner did not change the car after continued poor economy? rather try to charge the difference back to Honda.

I know people who have rejected cars based on significant differences in economy figures, either got a new car, or a refund...
What they didn't do was hold onto the car for as long as possible and take the manufacturer to court.
It summarises a lot I don't like about this money grabbing world Sad (the rest is summaraised by benefit cheats, but thats off topic Very Happy )

As for the Evoque, if I end up consistantly acheiving 10mpg I might be having words, but otherwise I openly accept that advertised economy figures should always always be taken with a large dosage of sodium chloride.

Ordered: Fuji Dynamic Lux Coupe / style 7 wheels / Privacy glass / adaptive xenons / something else which I've forgotton.
Should be end of April (was March, then April, then end of May/June).
Collected, Friday 13th Shocked April 2012
(This post was last modified: 02-02-2012 02:41pm by RacingSnake.)
02-02-2012 02:40pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
THEMACS

(02-02-2012 02:40pm)RacingSnake Wrote:  It summarises a lot I don't like about this money grabbing world Sad (the rest is summaraised by benefit cheats, but thats off topic Very Happy )

As for the Evoque, if I end up consistantly acheiving 10mpg I might be having words, but otherwise I openly accept that advertised economy figures should always always be taken with a large dosage of sodium chloride.

Here Here Racing Snake.....Very Happy Well Said!Very Happy

Orkney Grey 5 Door Prestige, Manual SD4, Vibe Interior, Panoramic Roof and Privacy Glass. Order Placed 2/7/11 Picked Up 17/3/12, Gone 10/5/14
02-02-2012 02:42pm
leveller

Hold on, I'm all for patting car manufacturers on the back for giving us great cars, but I'd rather they do that without misleading the public about fuel consumption. Surely it would be better to be honest rather than receive a backlash later for deceiving their customers?

Just saying.

5dr Evoque Dynamic Si4, OG. I love her, mostly.
02-02-2012 02:53pm
RacingSnake

well, somethign I subsequently have read is that the US economy figures are set by an external body called the EPA:
http://www.epa.gov/fueleconomy/
so again, is it really Honda's fault? and I maintain you should realistically not expect to attain the manf. figures, even if you 'should'. if you know what I mean Very Happy

Ordered: Fuji Dynamic Lux Coupe / style 7 wheels / Privacy glass / adaptive xenons / something else which I've forgotton.
02-02-2012 03:00pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
leveller

No. What?

Why stop at mis-selling by 20%(+/-)? Why not just make up some completely random MPG?

I heard the Mclaren F1 does 57.6MPG ...

Can't wait to pick up my car so I can compete in this game of chasing elusive MPGs. I'm wondering if the winner wins the ability to drive like my gran.

02-02-2012 03:23pm
RacingSnake

lol, sorry, is that no, you don't know what I mean??

basically it's naive of someone to expect to attain the published figures.
And how do you know its misselling at +/-20% , it is entirely dependent on the way you drive and the conditions you drive in.

<<devils advocate mode off>>

(This post was last modified: 02-02-2012 03:28pm by RacingSnake.)
02-02-2012 03:27pm
leveller

The 20%+/- I'm regurgitating from someones post earlier in this thread.

The "no" is that I can read your post, but I completely disagree with your logic.

No, Honda shouldn't quote figures created by someone else UNLESS they know they are correct and achievable, which in this case they aren't which is why the court awarded in favour of the plaintiff? And No, I disagree with you that we as paying customers shouldn't expect the MPG that a car manufacturer quotes. Yes we should.

02-02-2012 03:36pm