Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 4.5 Average
Real world mpg
ytshome

RE: Real world mpg

(17-12-2011 04:16pm)Mag1c_dragon Wrote:  I done a bit of an experiment this afternoon when we were out, as I have been lucky to get above 20 mpg since I got it.

I reset trip B as I pulled onto the A3 at Liphook, done a steady 60-70 all the way to Guildford, no harsh accelerating not going above 2000 revs and driving carefully. 14 miles, average speed 69 mph, 40.3 mpg.

I then reset the trip and drove as I normally would from Guildford the Weybridge. Travelling the same pace as the rest of the traffic, a bit overtaking and occasional blast. 10 miles, average speed 80mph, 31.2 mpg.

Reset again as I turned off the A3 and headed home through a bit of traffic and across town. 3.4 miles, average speed 23 mph, 22.3 mpg.

So if you drive carefully it can achieve decent mpg. However, ss soon as you go above 70 mph or push the engine above 2000 revs then the fuel economy is massively reduced. And its just a bit crap in/around town!

I understand why I generally have mpg in the low 20's now as I drive mostly around town and when I am on a duel carriageway/motorway I tend to make bursts above 70 to overtake.

I am no longer going to track the mpg on the trip and just enjoy the car Smile I am certainly not going to drive that conservatively ever again just so I can get 40 mpg. Think I will have to accept that my average will be lucky to get over 30mpg and I will be filling it up a bit more often that I was anticipating as I do a lot of town driving and like to put my foot down occasionally !

Don't blame you at all! Enjoy it...it would be silly to drive like a Vicar just to save a tenner at the pumps.

Arrived. Prestige SD4 Auto 5DR OG September 11
17-12-2011 10:00pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Acwats

I'm disappointed with my mpg.
Just done a 200 mile run on motorways at 75-80 with 2 adults, 2 kids and a full boot and only got 32mpg.
If we'd have gone in the automatic 520d it would have done 52 mpg.

This means under 400 miles from a tank!

Did discover a feature though regarding the auto trip computer. Having stopped for a break the auto computer reset with the ignition restarting, however having started a "new" journey you can add it to the previous journey by holding the reset for 4 secs.

MY16 HSE Dynamic Scotia Grey with Lunar/Ice Interior. 508's, Pano Roof, Privacy, Auto Tailgate, Heated s/wheel, spare
17-12-2011 10:25pm
BMW86

(17-12-2011 04:16pm)Mag1c_dragon Wrote:  I done a bit of an experiment this afternoon when we were out, as I have been lucky to get above 20 mpg since I got it.

I reset trip B as I pulled onto the A3 at Liphook, done a steady 60-70 all the way to Guildford, no harsh accelerating not going above 2000 revs and driving carefully. 14 miles, average speed 69 mph, 40.3 mpg.

I then reset the trip and drove as I normally would from Guildford the Weybridge. Travelling the same pace as the rest of the traffic, a bit overtaking and occasional blast. 10 miles, average speed 80mph, 31.2 mpg.

Reset again as I turned off the A3 and headed home through a bit of traffic and across town. 3.4 miles, average speed 23 mph, 22.3 mpg.

So if you drive carefully it can achieve decent mpg. However, ss soon as you go above 70 mph or push the engine above 2000 revs then the fuel economy is massively reduced. And its just a bit crap in/around town!

I understand why I generally have mpg in the low 20's now as I drive mostly around town and when I am on a duel carriageway/motorway I tend to make bursts above 70 to overtake.

I am no longer going to track the mpg on the trip and just enjoy the car Smile I am certainly not going to drive that conservatively ever again just so I can get 40 mpg. Think I will have to accept that my average will be lucky to get over 30mpg and I will be filling it up a bit more often that I was anticipating as I do a lot of town driving and like to put my foot down occasionally !

That's interesting that the mpg is so poor above 2000rpm's. The mpg won't fair well with my driving style either.

If possible, are you able to tell me what rpm's the SD4 is at in 4th, 5th and 6th at varying speeds, say 60, 70 and 80mph?

2009 BMW 135i Coupe - with a few mods Wink
2013 Ninja 300 Special Edition ABS
2014 Mercedes CLA 45 AMG - on the way
17-12-2011 11:33pm
PhilSkill

(16-12-2011 12:38pm)Pedalpower Wrote:  Interesting info, thanks, when you say Reduced Resistance tires, do you know which models have this ?

My Dynamic has Pirelli Verde which are reduced resistance, havent checked the conti's cross contact tyres

Nice test yts, round town there is no hope of high mpg as to reach those heady heights of 35+ you need to be cruising in high gears no car is as efficient driving through the low gears plus The Evoque is hardly a feather to accelerate! neither is it an aero slicer so high speed or high accel will put it down sub 30!

Just treked across the cotswolds mostly stuck behind very slow tedious drivers scared of ice or dark and bar a few overtakes trundled along in 5th/6th at 1500rpm, trip showing 37mpg. Which i'm happy with as only reached 1000miles today. will take a good few thousand miles to loosen up yet.
(17-12-2011 11:33pm)BMW86 Wrote:  If possible, are you able to tell me what rpm's the SD4 is at in 4th, 5th and 6th at varying speeds, say 60, 70 and 80mph?

You dont buy a diesel to rev its nuts off! a lot of the torque is at lower rpm, get yourself a petrol if you like redlining it for power. But dont complain when your mpg nears single figures! youre dragging all that 4wd stuff with you.

70mph 6th gear ~2000rpm

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
(This post was last modified: 17-12-2011 11:57pm by PhilSkill.)
17-12-2011 11:44pm
The Valeter

(17-12-2011 10:20am)leveller Wrote:  Will be very wary of information that LR provide in the future. Being a first-timer to the brand, can I ask if they usually 'massage' figures to the degree they have with the MPG?

You won't get the quoted figures from any manufacturer as they are obtained in controlled enviroments etc with virtually no fuel or other weight on board.
That said my Freelander 2HSE was no where near the quoted figures & I made it well known I was not impressed.
(17-12-2011 07:22pm)Chunkstar Wrote:  With all my cars/ vans need at least 10000 miles before mpg improves
Engines need to losen up !

Would be nice if they told you this upon ordering the car!

Came Home On 02/03/13 Pure Tech In Barolo Black/Cirrus Trim with Bespoke Firenze Ascents + Numerous Factory Options!!
Also :-

Rover 25GSi - 2005 Everyday Car.
MG ZR-Express Van - 2005 Special Factory Order (Literally a one off).
MG Montego 2.0i - 1990 Shows/Sunny Days.
MG Metro 1300 - 1983 Being Restored!
(This post was last modified: 18-12-2011 01:13am by The Valeter.)
18-12-2011 01:05am
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ytshome

I watched a re-run of a Fifth Gear team test on the new Kia supermini last night. A 1.1 diesel turbo with a claimed UK average of 88MPG. Tiff drove it hard on a test track, Vicky briskly and Johnny economically on the same track and their MPG figures were 18, 34 and 45MPG respectively.

Its just time that govenments woke up to the lie that is average consumption. Some manufacturers seem to be able to come close to published figures but others are so far off the money you almost think back handers are given for false official figures.

Arrived. Prestige SD4 Auto 5DR OG September 11
18-12-2011 11:42am
Pedalpower

looking at the official figures LR state for SD Auto:-

Fuel Economy: SD4 Automatic Evoque
Urban mpg (L/100km) 35.8 (7.9)
Extra urban mpg (L/100km) 49.6 (5.7)
Combined mpg (L/100km) 43.5 (6.5)
CO₂ emissions (g/km) 174

i always presume for something between urban and combined whenever i see these numbers, which equates to around 40mpg, allowing for around a 10% increase as the engine loosens over time, added to the fact we are in winter, lights, heaters, heated seats all on, not to mention i bet LR did those measurements with the 19inch wheels, if you have 20inch take a couple more mpg off due to the extra rotational weight. i would have said about 34-40mpg ish at this stage/time of year would be about right for a SD. How far off are the SD owners from this ?.

i can get about 50ish in my current Audi, but last night with lights, heater wipers etc etc all on and some town and 60mph roads it was at 39mpg

applying the same theory for SD manual

Fuel Economy: SD4 Manual
Urban mpg (L/100km) 42.2 (6.7)
Extra urban mpg (L/100km) 54.3 (5.2)
Combined mpg (L/100km) 49.6 (5.7)
CO₂ emissions (g/km) 149

about 37-42 maybe ?

Can you tell i have time on my hands and are avoiding Christmas shopping with the Mrs ! haha Wink
18-12-2011 12:13pm
Straydox

(18-12-2011 11:42am)ytshome Wrote:  Its just time that govenments woke up to the lie that is average consumption. Some manufacturers seem to be able to come close to published figures but others are so far off the money you almost think back handers are given for false official figures.

That is, unfortunately, the sad bit - the governments have agreed an international standard for calculating fuel economy - wikipedia article here Wikipedia

So whilst we can get all annoyed with LR they are playing by the rules that all the other manufacturers also have to abide by. The tests are done indoors with a stationary vehicle (no wind resistance) on a rolling road.

As a rough rule of thumb - if you subtract 15 to 20% of the stated fuel economy then the 'real world' (i.e. not the inaccurate trip computer says') calculated backwards on distanced covered from brimmed fuel tank to brimmed fuel tank then you will be about right. On that basis an SD4 manual will do between 40 and 43 mpg as an absolute maximum. Philskill is approaching that now I think?

YTShome - we have reached a similar conclusion Very Happy

Delivered 15th May 2012, rejected and returned 4th Feb 2013 - SD4 5 door Prestige manual with a bucket full of rattles Mauritius Blue. Crazy Audi MY2020 RSQ3
(This post was last modified: 18-12-2011 12:43pm by Straydox.)
18-12-2011 12:39pm
V8M3

I think the reality of the situation regarding mpg is that all manufacturers will try to stretch the limits of acceptable measurements for mpg to tempt you into their vehicles.

I have recently taken delivery of a Mini Cooper 2.0 SD for my wife, which according to the Manufacturer should be doing circa 65mpg. In reality this car is only achieving 45mpg. This car is exactly 500kg lighter than the Evoque, albeit .2 of a litre smaller engine.

So IMO the real-world mpg reported on this forum is therefore about right.

I for one will be happy with anything over 20mpg which is what the M3 is currently providing, when its not snowing!

Mini Cooper 2.0 SD
18-12-2011 01:55pm
Dave_T

I thought the test was carried out independently, rather than by the manufacturer?

To all those who say you can never reach the combined figure, oh yes you can - or at least I can in almost every other car I've owned - even the Disco.

But... in the Evoque it's only by rolling down hills, max 50mph, no acceleration, change up at approx 1500rpm.
Is that how we're supposed to drive Crying

Current average remains approx 36mpg.
18-12-2011 10:41pm